Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 40691 times)

Offline Pup7309

Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »
So there’s no number on the limited edition kits. Only 1000?

I believe that limited edition was only for the kit containing the MvR bust.
Hi, yes that’s what I was pointing to. There is just 1000?
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2020, 10:01:14 PM »
On closer examination I have found another thing to be corrected.  The wings are molded as one-piece items.  Not the usual top and bottom half.  In my kit, the sprue that contains the wings is warped, making the wings have a dihedral bow.  The top wing appears to be the worse, with about 1/8" (3mm) of bow in the middle vs the tips.  This will have to be fixed.  This will vary from kit to kit, depending on how the sprue was handled when it was still hot out of the mold.  The thick wing will take a while to cool down coming out of the mold and would be prone to this issue.
Still, I am very satisfied with this kit.  It just has its own idiosyncracies.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2020, 10:42:13 PM »
On closer examination I have found another thing to be corrected.  The wings are molded as one-piece items.  Not the usual top and bottom half.  In my kit, the sprue that contains the wings is warped, making the wings have a dihedral bow.  The top wing appears to be the worse, with about 1/8" (3mm) of bow in the middle vs the tips.  This will have to be fixed.  This will vary from kit to kit, depending on how the sprue was handled when it was still hot out of the mold.  The thick wing will take a while to cool down coming out of the mold and would be prone to this issue.

Good to know.  That's not unusual in Wingnut kits either.  I'm currently working on a WNW Albatros D.Va and all three wings (one-piece upper and both lower) were slightly bowed.  Gently bending them while running hot water over them took care of that.

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Gene K

« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2020, 11:04:48 PM »
I think most complaints I've heard about are from nitpicking whiners.

That's cold!

Gene K

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2020, 12:10:22 AM »
I just checked My Lucky Models order. It was shipped on the 16th. It also said it was coming via Airmail and should arrive in 7-11 days. I guess I know why I paid a LOT more for shipping than others did now  ;D That being said the way things are with My postal delivery it May be a longer wait than estimated  :(
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigrivender

• Do wrong and it will be good
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2020, 12:34:48 AM »

Hello,
If someone is very interested, it is available in the AK store in both versions. (Both in stock)
If something can't be repaired it means it's not broken

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2020, 01:33:44 AM »

Solid wings are more the rule than the exception to the rule with WNW kits.

Drop your wing in hot (but not boiling) water and let it soften gently, and then you can fix as you see fit.

You can achieve the same results with a hair dryer, but be careful, you can melt styrene with a hot setting on a hair dryer quicker than you might think!  Ask me how I know!   LOL

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2020, 03:18:48 AM »
My kit arrived from Sprue Brothers yesterday!  Everything appears to be in order, i.e., no observable problems upon cursory inspection under the box lid.  It is now in the stash. ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline Vickers

« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2020, 06:28:50 AM »
I received my pair from Spruebrothers today. The sprues appear to be indistinguishable from a WNW product and the booklet and decals look nice. I think this initial correction- to the box tops- will probably be the only one I'll have to perform. ;)
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline MarkyMark62

« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
I think most complaints I've heard about are from nitpicking whiners.

That's cold!

Gene K
Guess it's meant to be taken tongue in cheek but I see where he's coming from.
I've  seen people whining about how the bix art is crap, how the instructions aren't as good. Remember  people it is not produced by WnW, Meng have just used the molds. Also it's a lot cheaper than if it had been in a WnW box not to mention the fact that without Mengs intervention the kit would not have seen the light of day.
On the other hand though broken parts are not acceptable but thankfully they look an easy fix.
I'm still waiting for Hannants to get their stock in, I have one on back order.
Off topic I received Eduards Mk.1 Spitfire kit, The Spitfire Story on Monday and one side of the exhausts as some decent sink marks.
Am I complaining? No! I'll get the filler out, after all, we're modellers aren't we?
I wonder if we will ever see the perfect kit where not one person can find an issue with  it? Some how I doubt it.
Ducks to avoid the returning flack 😀
Keep modelling, Mark

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
I wonder if the broken part isn't a packing issue. Would the kits have the same issue once WNW put them in the box?

Offline mgunns

« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
It looks like a pretty fragile piece to begin with and wouldn't take much jostling to cause to break.  I would wager that once installed on the model, it would be an easy fix.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online macsporran

« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2020, 09:22:37 AM »
I've got plenty of WNW kits with bits broken in packing/transit.
Also plenty of crappy decal problems.
They were great, yes, but occasionally there were fit problems or warped wings, or the Albatros spinner shape, or the J.I aileron gaps - to name a few.
Stop slagging the Mengnut, it is a WNW moulding with all that's good and maybe a few tiny faults.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:36 AM »
The Meng box has the same dimensions as the WNW pursuit types, so it doesn't mess up the uniformity in the stash. Also, there's plenty of head space for the contents- unlike the WNW Fokker D.VII which requires some creative sprue stacking to truly fit in the box without the risk of pressure on the parts from kits above it in the stash.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline eclarson

« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »
I've got plenty of WNW kits with bits broken in packing/transit.
Also plenty of crappy decal problems.
They were great, yes, but occasionally there were fit problems or warped wings, or the Albatros spinner shape, or the J.I aileron gaps - to name a few.
Stop slagging the Mengnut, it is a WNW moulding with all that's good and maybe a few tiny faults.

Add to that numerous errors in their instructions - wrong part and decal numbers, conflicting color callouts, vague part placements, and nearly useless rigging diagrams.
No WNW was not perfect, but we still love them so!   :)

Eric