Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 40328 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2020, 04:36:15 AM »
First video unboxing of the beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4jyzjPpUXE&feature=emb_title

Enjoy!

Nice video, but strange how the shot of the box lid off at (0:12) shows the mid-wing piece, that those who have received the kit find broken, is in fact broken off.
Yet afterwards it's magically reattached at (0:20) - cunning even for Meng   ;D

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #241 on: August 17, 2020, 07:55:15 AM »
First video unboxing of the beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4jyzjPpUXE&feature=emb_title

Enjoy!

Nice video, but strange how the shot of the box lid off at (0:12) shows the mid-wing piece, that those who have received the kit find broken, is in fact broken off.
Yet afterwards it's magically reattached at (0:20) - cunning even for Meng   ;D

Didn't notice that, good catch. On the other hand I have seen a few posts that said there kits arrived unbroken and without sink marks. Hopefully just a glitch in some of them!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
Nothing broken in my copy, just some warpage with the wings that I think wont be too hard to correct.

-Patrick

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #243 on: August 17, 2020, 08:55:58 AM »
I haven't seen the kit, just going by those on FB who seem to have had the same part broken off the middle wing.
Maybe just the unlucky ones posting there.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
I haven't seen the kit, just going by those on FB who seem to have had the same part broken off the middle wing.

Mike

Like I said, I have seen several posts on FB that said their kit was fine with no broken parts. Those kits that are broken are really Easy fixes. IMHO.
RAGIII

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #245 on: August 17, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »

Mike

Like I said, I have seen several posts on FB that said their kit was fine with no broken parts. Those kits that are broken are really Easy fixes. IMHO.
RAGIII

Yeah I was having 2nd thought on the China order. At least with the local store you can get an exchange on damaged goods. Fingers crossed!

‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #246 on: August 17, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »
So there’s no number on the limited edition kits. Only 1000?
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Warthog69

« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2020, 02:12:33 AM »

Yeah I was having 2nd thought on the China order. At least with the local store you can get an exchange on damaged goods. Fingers crossed!
[/quote]

It is a very small attachment point on the port side and takes seconds to fix and as seen on the video an invisable mend. Would not personally bother returning to a model shop for that. And in view of the £20 to £30 cost-saving have our club order for 6 on way from Lucky Model.

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2020, 03:55:41 AM »
So there’s no number on the limited edition kits. Only 1000?

I believe that limited edition was only for the kit containing the MvR bust.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2020, 06:00:55 AM »
I just received my Mengnut Ming kit.  Its definitely WNW quality in the detail dept for an injection molded kit.  The fragile wing part is just hanging on by a few threads.  I don't care - I've glued pieces back together before.  The wing tapes are very  small - narrow with just tiny circular dots - not rib stitches.  They do protrude up from the wing surface a fair amount.  No sink marks that I have found yet.  Some parts and rigging points are labeled (molded into the plastic)  'DR1' or 'F1' for the different variations.  Control horns are molded into the elevators but separate on the other flying surfaces.  The PE pieces have molded plastic alternative pieces.  The instructions are very WNW-like but maybe not as thorough and detailed (who looks at the instructions anyway?).

Overall, an excellent kit. 
I think most complaints I've heard about are from nitpicking whiners.

My biggest gripe - its not molded in bright red plastic!
Guess I'll have to paint it.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2020, 06:35:11 AM »
I just received my Mengnut Ming kit.  Its definitely WNW quality in the detail dept for an injection molded kit.  The fragile wing part is just hanging on by a few threads.  I don't care - I've glued pieces back together before.  The wing tapes are very  small - narrow with just tiny circular dots - not rib stitches.  They do protrude up from the wing surface a fair amount.  No sink marks that I have found yet.  Some parts and rigging points are labeled (molded into the plastic)  'DR1' or 'F1' for the different variations.  Control horns are molded into the elevators but separate on the other flying surfaces.  The PE pieces have molded plastic alternative pieces.  The instructions are very WNW-like but maybe not as thorough and detailed (who looks at the instructions anyway?).

Overall, an excellent kit. 
I think most complaints I've heard about are from nitpicking whiners.

My biggest gripe - its not molded in bright red plastic!
Guess I'll have to paint it.

I don't know if you follow FB but Richard Alexander posted some Pretty Convincing photos showing that the rib tapes were NAILED! News to me for sure! That being said going by photos readily available the tapes "seem" to disappear with the streaking. So I will need to see just how raised they are and decide if I am going to make any adjustments. Thanks for the Mini Review!
RAGIII

Offline petrov27

« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
Would love to see those pics from FB but I do not facebook sadly.

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »
Would love to see those pics from FB but I do not facebook sadly.

I will see what I can do about saving them to My computer and posting here.
RAGIII

Offline rayb24

« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2020, 08:08:57 AM »
I don't have access to the FB images, but here are the links to the WNW images on the website. The direct links were taken down, but the pages are still in place.
Late DR1

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3205&cat=1
Early F1 and DR1
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3203&cat=1

As mentioned you can't get to these directly,  but if you use the product ID from an existing model like the rumpler or Camel and then add numbers you can also get to the o/100 too. Also the mystery model and StarStrutter. The Mystery is still a mystery lol

Ray

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »
I had seen some of Richard's posts about the covering nailed on the ribs.  That's why the rib tapes are very narrow.  My impression is that they are somewhat prominent but its a judgement call.  I probably wont do anything to them.