Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 435522 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1800 on: April 14, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
Hi All

Is there anyone out there who can estimate for us when it is likely that every single mark of every single German aircraft type during the Great War - even those only sketched on the back of a beermat - will have been produced in every common scale. I ask only so that we can know when to expect models of some of the more esoteric types such as the BE2c, the Sopwith Dolphin, members of the Nieuport and SPAD families, a Hanriot and so on.

Time for my tin hat and suit of armour I suppose.

Best wishes
Nigel
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:35:49 AM by Nigel Jackson »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #1801 on: April 14, 2016, 11:58:17 PM »
The homepage resizes dependent upon the available space / your resolution settings. ;)

Yes. It's what's called these days in web design as a "responsive" layout (though it ain't exactly state of the art...)

Funny that when I went back later there were no spaces but less models on the Home page. Does that change by your browser? That is why I said "Useless Speculation"  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #1802 on: April 15, 2016, 01:31:32 AM »
I know this has never been brought up in this thread and that's probably why Karaya never released theirs, but I really want a Martinsyde Elephant.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #1803 on: April 15, 2016, 05:18:32 AM »
I simply don't understand why they haven't done an Albatros DIII.  It is essentially the WW-I equivalent to the ME-109.  It was a fighter that equipped many front line fighter units.  Plus a myriad of colorful personal markings.
Tim Pivonka

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #1804 on: April 15, 2016, 05:53:30 AM »
I simply don't understand why they haven't done an Albatros DIII. Tim Pivonka

As far as I know, Richard Alexander stated some time ago that WnW do not intend to produce models that are already at hand from other manufacturers. The Sopwith Triplane and maybe the SE.5a are no counterevidence, as it seems that Roden and WnW worked on them simultaneously - of course without knowing from each other. So, Tim,  best you get your Albatros D.III from the rich choice of Roden's offers - like I will do with their Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

Offline Jim

« Reply #1805 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
As far as I know, Richard Alexander stated some time ago that WnW do not intend to produce models that are already at hand from other manufacturers. The Sopwith Triplane and maybe the SE.5a are no counterevidence, as it seems that Roden and WnW worked on them simultaneously - of course without knowing from each other. So, Tim,  best you get your Albatros D.III from the rich choice of Roden's offers - like I will do with their Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

Didn't Roden release their Pfalz D.III some time before the WNW Pfalz D.IIIa came out, or do you consider the different versions are enough to make the statement still valid? Also, doesn't that mean WNW won't produce a Fokker triplane of either version?
Woof!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #1806 on: April 15, 2016, 08:11:36 AM »
The Sopwith Triplane and maybe the SE.5a are no counterevidence

but the long announced Camel surely is ;)

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #1807 on: April 15, 2016, 09:28:23 AM »
The Sopwith Triplane and maybe the SE.5a are no counterevidence

but the long announced Camel surely is ;)
Clearly.  WNW initially announced no intention to do a Camel because it had been done already and then that changed, apparently due to overwhelming interest and demand.  If policy can be deviated from once it can happen again.
Honor Necessity

Offline zavod44

« Reply #1808 on: April 15, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
I feel like the forward in the "Building the WNW AEG GIV" book backed off of that statement a little bit.  WNW eluded to the fact that they were disappointed that Roden seems to have almost stopped doing anything in this space.  Instead of embracing the new influx of interest and keep making kits, Roden double clutched.  They haven't released too much in the last few years.  I feel like at this point WNW will do anything they want.  What once was their business model may not be the case anymore.  If Roden has sent up the white flag, that pretty much leaves the whole 1/32 WWI genre to WNW.  90% of what WNW does is new and undone subjects so why not put out a few of the classics.  Everyone will survive with two different Camels and two different DR.I, a SPAD VII or XIII, maybe even an Albatros DIII would make a nice addition to the WNW family......

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #1809 on: April 15, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
It comes back to what Sir Peter wants, his personal preferences. That is the direction they will go in. That is why the new kits are such a surprise
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Derrick

« Reply #1810 on: April 15, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
In regards to the Albatros III, I had thought a while back Special Hobby ( or maybe another company) said they were working on one, but nothing since. I would agree with Nigel about all the different German types, if we were talking about WW II. However I think WNW has been pretty good as far as making the British aircraft , would like to see more of the other allies though.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #1811 on: April 15, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »
I simply don't understand why they haven't done an Albatros DIII. Tim Pivonka

... The Sopwith Triplane and maybe the SE.5a are no counterevidence, as it seems that Roden and WnW worked on them simultaneously - of course without knowing from each other.

Same applies to the Pfalz D-III...

Much rather have Kits that have not been done yet , the Roden Alb D-I/II/III are more than passable as well as the Dr.I , yes a little work is needed but there are aftermarket goodies for them...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #1812 on: April 15, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
Another rumour (?) was, that Sir Peter was preparing to make a film on WW1 air war. So the choice of models that WnW develop might mirror the planes that Sir Peter needs for his film. If true, the fact that we don't get much apart from planes from the Western Front, this could well be a hint to that the film's setting might be the Western Front...
Do I like rumours? It seems so!

Now you!

Offline FarEast

« Reply #1813 on: April 15, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »
Another rumour (?) was, that Sir Peter was preparing to make a film on WW1 air war. So the choice of models that WnW develop might mirror the planes that Sir Peter needs for his film. If true, the fact that we don't get much apart from planes from the Western Front, this could well be a hint to that the film's setting might be the Western Front...

Now you!

I think this may have sprouted from the Crossing The Line (https://youtu.be/DpTHFVBlm_A) which was released back in 2008 and the first film ever made with the Red One cameras and used at exhibitions to promote the technology, also with the fact that Sir Pete bought the rights to the Dam Busters, which he actually started funding before he was called back to the LOTR and has been benched since.

As for box art releases - the only one so far to be released back to back was the Felixstowe and the W.12.

Offline Beto

« Reply #1814 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »

Now you!

That rumour about  Sir PJ doing a remake of The Blue Max or making a WWI aviation related movie has been floating around the web for at least 10 years, so I would not hold my breath until seeing it done. About the use of 3D models for filming, movie CG planes are entirely different beasts than those used for kit production... they don't need so many complicated parts and they must be "light" to be easily rendered. Many surface details like rivets, lacing and so on are just painted on the surface texture, so it is easier to model those airplanes again for CG than converting Wingnut Wings' superdetailed 3D meshes.