Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 435534 times)

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1575 on: November 17, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »
No thanks! I'll just stick to a window seat!

It would make a great model, though.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1576 on: November 17, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
You read my mind Michael, I have had this on the back burner for quite some time, I am still gathering info and photos, it would be a huge model though.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1577 on: November 17, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »
Not to get too sidetracked, but since we are talking about scratch building, here are a few pics of a 1/33 paper model of an Ilya Muromets by Igor Shatohin on the Paper Modelers forum.

George

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #1578 on: November 17, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »
You read my mind Michael, I have had this on the back burner for quite some time, I am still gathering info and photos, it would be a huge model though.

Des.

Sikorsky Ilya Muromets:
Length: 17.5 m (57 ft 5 in)
Wingspan:
Top wing: 29.8 m (97 ft 9 in)
Bottom wing: 21 m (68 ft 11 in)
Height: 4 m (13 ft 1 in)

Felixstowe F.2A:
Length: 14.1m (46 ft 3 in)
Wingspan:
Top wing: 29.51 m (96 ft 10 in)
Bottom wing: 29.13m (95 ft 7 in)

Considerably longer, but similar wingspan.  Hmmm.  Not so bad, Des.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #1579 on: November 20, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »
I could sign my name under this letter, too.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Oeli

« Reply #1580 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
Michael you are so right!
Oh, yes please, a little hint.
A little is left in the Christmas cash to treat ourself to a little surprise for Christmas!
Normality is a beautiful paved road, but it grow no flowers on her.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #1581 on: November 20, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
MY EMAIL TO RICHARD ALEXANDER:

Dear Santa A.,

You may remember me as the guy who was involved with your favorite malt, the Balvenie, and who you honored by putting his RNAS Pup on the WnW website. I’m also the guy you told was basically dreaming to think that WnW would ever produce a Felixstowe.....the model of which showed up about 6 hours later. It still gives quite a chuckle.

Perhaps this CV will cause you to remember that I am not a whiner or one of those “when is the next release-niks???????”. Instead, I am one of many WnW fans who is lucky enough to get a Wingnuts kit every Christmas. But, because of that tradition, I now find myself in the awkward position of not knowing what to tell Mrs. Santa. If we drove a Bentley and ate caviar on our peanut butter sandwiches, I’d tell her, “no worries, Mrs. Rockefeller, order me this or that and when the Christmas Surprise is announced, order me that, as well...in fact, order me a case of ‘em.....and send Richard Alexander a case of Balvenie and a box of Cubanos”. Sadly, we drive a beat up 2001 Subaru and have given up caviar.

So, not to tell you how to run your very successful business, but, is it feasible to let those of us who are salivating like Pavlov’s dogs at least know if there will be a Christmas Surprise in 2015 so we will know what to tell our gift-giving spouses.....just so we don’t end up with another plaid tie, instead? Would such an announcement throw sand in the gears of the Wingnut Wings business plan? Would it derail the Kiwi Globalization Plan? On the one hand, if we knew there is to be a secret release, anticipation would grow by leaps and bounds and moist palms would itch to type in credit card numbers. On the other hand, if there is to be NO surprise, orders of existing kits would be made and it would make a finer year end for WnW, and, we recipients would have a Merry Christmas after all.

So, I believe I speak for many, many good little boys, and even some girls, around the globe when I say “please Santa A., let us know!...and we will be good again next year”.

God Bless us Each and Everyone and to all a Good Night and a Partridge in a Pear Tree,

Michael, aged 62 and a moderately good boy
Well stated, young Michael...as for me, a miracle on 34th street would be some WnW resin figures to accompany whichever seasonal aero-issue of theirs. T'would be received with major surprise, t'wouldn't it....from most of us who moderately behave, anyway.                         -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1582 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:27 AM »
Haha, I thought you were joking. You actually sent that to Mr. A! Great!! ;D

Well, all we can say is that if there is a Christmas release, it will be by Dec. 11.

And now we continue to wait...

George

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #1583 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
Wingnuts' strategy of announcing surprise new releases perilously close to the Christmas postage deadline may work against them if modellers lose patience and buy elsewhere. Many here would love a new WnW kit for Christmas but unless you are a WW1-only modeller, there are now plenty of attractive, quality alternative kits on the market jostling for our attention and Dollars.

For example the 1/32 Tamiya or HK Models' Mosquito. Or the new releases from Zoukei Mura, or the tempting 1/35th armour gems from Takom, or the wonderful quality growing aftermarket range from Aviattic. Lots of high quality players in the market now, all competing for a finite number of hobby dollars.

Back when WnW was launched their strategy of holding new release announcements till the last minute before Christmas had us all drooling with anticipation. Now? Not so much. Exchange rates- not WnW's fault- play an increasing role in deciding what we buy.

As for when any new kits may be announced, last Christmas the Felixstowes were released on 16 December- after the postage deadlines had passed.

Let's hope they get the Christmas 2015 items announced soon, and at affordable prices. Of course the existing catalogue of items is ready and waiting now, for those wavering over buying plans.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #1584 on: November 20, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
   Nicely done Michael, no further ahead however I commend your efforts! I thought we'd have a surprise announced by last weekend, no such luck obviously. The devotion to and fixation with the Wingnut Wings inventory and release schedule has become, in a way, nearly "cult like". I have been served a deadline by SWMBO, (in better times I refer to her as "the good Wife") "no wish list by the end of this weekend and it's a tie and pair of gloves under the tree for YOU!" Guess I'll have to take a quick look at the books available out there or Christmas Morning could be a real Bummer!
   Thanks for your efforts on our behalf, maybe coincidence will result in some absolutely eye watering release in time for a Christmas order!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #1585 on: November 20, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Carol gave up on a new release and settled for a second hand RE8.  I couldn't be happier.  Thanks for the plea on our behalf, Big Mike.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #1586 on: November 20, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
Carol gave up on a new release and settled for a second hand RE8.  I couldn't be happier.  Thanks for the plea on our behalf, Big Mike.
Cheers,
Bud

A second hand RE.8 is at the top of my list. I'd "settle" for that!

George

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #1587 on: November 20, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Well done Michael,

but... with your experience regarding the Felixstowe, did you really expect a useful answer from Santa A.?  8)

Stefan (who is still dreaming of a Junkers D.1)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #1588 on: November 20, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »
Would like a D.1 too or a... or a.... or a.... :D
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #1589 on: November 20, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
Just a thought.  In WnW's "news" it says the Camel is expected in 2016.
Maybe it will arrive earlier than expected.  Stranger things have
happened. ;)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...