Author Topic: Your input on refining the Forum's topic boards  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Your input on refining the Forum's topic boards
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »
When we recently sought members' input on future changes to the forum, a number of people commented that there are too many boards here and they need to be combined or even deleted.

I agree, there are too many boards and I'm about to add to them! We are about to bring back the Featured Member section and to do so requires the creation of a new board.

So before I do that we need to "refine" the existing boards and we thought members might have some ideas on the boards you would be happy to see merged or even deleted and those you feel cannot be touched.

So let's have your thoughts please.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

Re: Your input on refining the Forum's topic boards
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
My initial thoughts: Combine Vacuform, resin, and scratchbuilt section. (Please don't eliminate any of the great threads!)
Next why do we need a Where to purchase your kits section? Could be put in the time to relax section, or just totally eliminated, IMHO. Figure section combined with Armor, and Artillery ? That's about all for me  8)
RAGIII
PS: Please do not eliminate the Show Us Your ….. section I think that Des had the thought that it would be easier to find build logs with the included build links for a specific Aircraft/Model. I have used it for this exact purpose Many Times.  ;D

PPS: Early and pre 1914 just integrated into the regular build logs. Again don't want to lose any threads.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:54:06 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
In a similar line with Rick, I would go even further - combine resin, vacu, scratch, paper and card, pre 1914 with Under Construction. And even more - add the requirement of common title layout of gallery and Under Construction threads to facilitate searching, e.g aircraft name, scale, manufacturer/scratch plus additional comments like: conversion, vacu or whatever one wishes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:59:26 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Dekenba1

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:49:36 AM »
Far, far too many boards!

I'd look at the LSP forum for guidance - only a few boards, logically split it into

-WW1 modelling content;
-Non WW1 modelling content;
-General Discussion;

For actual modelling:
-Works in Progress;
-Ready for Inspection;
-Group Builds;
-Hints & Tips.

And for selling & buying:
-Vendors Board.

And that's it!

Things like "Modeller of the Month" can be pinned at the top of a board, rather than having its own board.

But the forum is still infinitely better to navigate than Britmodeller, which is a nightmare of multiple boards.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »

I'd look at the LSP forum for guidance - only a few boards, logically split it into

-WW1 modelling content;
-General Discussion;

For actual modelling:
-Works in Progress;
-Ready for Inspection;
-Group Builds;
-Hints & Tips.

-Vendors Board.

And that's it!

Things like "Modeller of the Month" can be pinned at the top of a board, rather than having its own board.

But the forum is still infinitely better to navigate than Britmodeller, which is a nightmare of multiple boards.

Sorry but I temd to disagree abit. I like being able to go to boards for specific info on Markings or another for More technical stuff.  Agree that some can be eliminated but don't think we should follow any other Forums outline. Perhaps the difference is what makes us Great  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »
Many thanks for the suggestions to date however to assist everyone with their ideas I should state there are some limitations on what we can do, and those limitations are very much governed by my still learning how to drive the software and the limitations of the actual software itself.

It's really helpful to have your input and this will very much influence how we go forward with this. I don't want to clone other forum layouts though. We are who we are, quirky and very much reflecting the Forum set up by Des which has worked so well since its formation in 2012.

I've seen other model sites go down the "bells & whistles" route and lose their momentum. With some careful board realignment I think we can keep the magic going here and keep everyone happy.

Having the featured member as a pinned feature on an existing board is a genius idea, but I'd need to test whether this can be regularly updated with new posts.

Many thanks for the ideas and please keep them coming!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »

-WW1 modelling content;
-General Discussion;

For actual modelling:
-Works in Progress;
-Ready for Inspection;
-Group Builds;
-Hints & Tips.

-Vendors Board.

And that's it!

I was going to suggest something very similar to your proposal here.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »
I am on the same wavelength of Rick.
I would add just the following points:

Board "WW1 Airshows and Model Shows" "Sick Parade" "The book shelf" and "WW1 Aircraft Art" do not deserve IMHO a board of their own, I'd see them better in the "Modelers Lounge"

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
I'm easily pleased.  ;)

Keep up the great work, Dave.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline aliluke

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 04:23:27 PM »
I agree with pretty much all of the above.

I think the best move would be to combine all constructions into one board - plastic, resin, vacuform, paper, scratch, dirigibles and dioramas. If it flys or floats and is about WW1 things in the air it would make that part of the forum much more lively and certainly expose me, for one, to things I don't look at on a regular basis.

I think the non-flying or floating subjects - artillery, tanks, ships? and figures should be on a single separate "Under Construction" board but I see a place for them here as they are all WW1 subjects that some of the forum community delves into. But they could be all grouped together under other build subjects?

For me the most important thing is sustaining a community of like minded modellers who share their skills and tips. On another ship modelling forum I had many friendly exchanges with a guy who spent years building an almost perfect model of the USS Constitution at 1/64. He commented that when it was finished his grandson glanced at it and said "Yeah, whatever." The point is we are in our own bubbles and, for me at least, having the company of others inside that same bubble is the essense of the forum. By combining the build logs into one Board we get the chance to, effortlessly, see a lot more work within our bubble and acknowledge it, comment on it and learn more skills from it.

I also advocate that the focus on WW1 aircraft is paramount - that is the name of the forum and the intent of its founder, Des.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
in general, i agree with simplifying.

allegedly Einstein said "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."*

this should be the plan.

Main sections are pretty good, but i think "airshows and model shows" should be moved under reference library. or maybe "airshows" under reference and model shows under lounge?

Every other major category (the ones in black) should stay the same through Trading Table.

of the ones beneath Trading Table, Comments and Feedback should go with Forum Rules.

Archive should stay at the very bottom. Sick Parade should be a pinned thread as suggested by other posters above.

Lounge should stay where it is. Interesting to Read should go with reference, it's all WWI stuff as far as i can tell at a glance, and much of it relevant.

Aircraft Art can go with either Lounge or Reference, depending on how ppl feel about the accuracy of the art (it varies wildly IME, but i'd stil put it in 'reference').

if major categories can't be made minor, they can go to 'archive' and start new at the new location...

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
Maybe we could create a new section under the Hints and Tips section:
A 3D Model-pool.
Santa told me I will get a Stereoscopic 3D Resin printer for Christmas.
So I will start soon to model bombs, carts, seats and figurines by myself in step or 3ds files to print them.
If there are some other modeler out there that do the same, we could all benefit from such a pool and share these models for free. (I will do it for sure)
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »
Manni which one is it?
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:57 PM »

-WW1 modelling content;
-General Discussion;

For actual modelling:
-Works in Progress;
-Ready for Inspection;
-Group Builds;
-Hints & Tips.

-Vendors Board.

And that's it!

I was going to suggest something very similar to your proposal here.

Ditto for me.
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Dekenba1

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 06:20:22 AM »

-WW1 modelling content;
-General Discussion;

For actual modelling:
-Works in Progress;
-Ready for Inspection;
-Group Builds;
-Hints & Tips.

-Vendors Board.

And that's it!

Sorry but I temd to disagree abit. I like being able to go to boards for specific info on Markings or another for More technical stuff.  Agree that some can be eliminated but don't think we should follow any other Forums outline. Perhaps the difference is what makes us Great  8)
RAGIII

Ultimately, I suppose it comes down to personal taste?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about how the forum looks and runs, I really appreciate that it's a labour of (unpaid) love. It's not as if a few extra clicks to read all the different forums is too much work! There is only one forum I avoid because of its layout, and that's Britmodeller, an absolute mess of many, many boards.

Perhaps the answer is just to amalgamate a few of the lesser used boards, whilst maintaining the general split that the current forum uses? So tidy it up a little, whilst maintaining the "WW1aircraftmodels" forum look and feel?

As long as the "Show unread posts since last visit" line remains, I'll be happy. It saves an awful lot of time trawling to each board looking for updates, and it's how I use the forum 99% of the time - so I suppose the board structure is really not that important for me, and those using the forum in the same way I do?