Author Topic: Albatros B.II - Early-to Late conversion (1/32, Wingnut Wings)  (Read 13924 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Albatros B.II - Early-to Late conversion (1/32, Wingnut Wings)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »
Awesome Przemo!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »
Stunning engine, Przemo!  I only hope that when the time comes to build mine, I can summon up the patience to add all of those Taurus goodies.  It really makes a world of difference!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
Beautiful engine, Przemo! All this Taurus-Goodies lift it to a much higher level.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 06:47:32 AM »
Thank you for further kind comments - very much appreciated.

Some news...

First - Melius Manu is indeed working on the promised conversion set! I have just got the decals for my civilian version!!! Needless to say, they are the top quality, both technically and historically.

Another good news is that the work on engine assembly is done. The last missing bits were: air tubing around the timing gear, carburettors control gear, magneto control levers. I still have to add some dirt and wash to emphasize the detail.

Worse news relate to the wooden fuselage.
First, I tried the kit decals. Though they look quite fine in the sheet, when I applied the first piece to the model I was disappointed. It somehow turned to blurred, greyish miserable wood imitation. Besides, there was no good way to press them into the fine recessed nail surface imitations... And I still had a problem with replacing the fragments where cuts were made in them by WNW to accommodate surface detail which I removed as per my version of Albatros fuselage. All too many reasons to change the view.
So I decided, I would paint the wood. And here it turned out that I ran out of my Pactra clear orange paint for final covering. I bought the new one but it seems that Pactra completely changed the formula for their paints. I have already noticed that their recently bought paints do not have as good opacity as earlier. But what they did to the clear orange is a nightmare. The colour is much more red. But it is also not permanent!!! One day after airbrushing I still had no problem with wiping it off the surface with a wet finger!!!
So I had to choose a new paint. I opted for my second preference - Vallejo. Here no problem with airbrushing and durability was encountered but the colour is much more to the cold yellow hue. I tried to mix is with the Pactra reddish, sealed it with the clear coat and the result could be acceptable. But then I also tried Gunze H and for the moment this one seems to be the best option. I will still have to check if it can be later covered with Pactra grey-green at the covers on the fuselage. I once had a problem with Pactra paint cracking some time after it was applied over that Gunze H colour. Tomorrow...
Here is the test field to testify my attempts

In the meantime the fuselage itself has the base colour for wood applied, awaiting the application of wood grain.

More to come soon.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:59:13 AM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
Sorry to hear of your paint difficulties but I know you will sort it all out! Your prep looks smooth as a Babys' backside!
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
   That engine is spectacular Prze. As for the wood grain paint problems I feel your pain!! I use Tamiya Clear Yellow on occasion and usually thin it down considerably as it seems (to me) that it's darker then it used to be. Paints can be so inconsistent in their qualities and although I know your skills will get you through this with success you must be a bit frustrated! I know I'll check in tomorrow and you will have solved these problems.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
Some wood painted... Wash to emphasize the details is only started at some spots and not cleaned yet.

And Axial propeller carved from pre-cut veneer forms.

Still, I am not sure if I will use it for this Albatros. Most probably I will need a different one:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:00:27 AM by PrzemoL »

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
Lovely Prze,

Please tell me the secret of your wiring? What is it? How do you glue it? I just can’t get mine to look like that!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
Lovely Prze,

Please tell me the secret of your wiring? What is it? How do you glue it? I just can’t get mine to look like that!

Guy

Cheers, Guy.

The wiring, I suppose you mean the electric cables at the engine. It is 0.25mm soldering wire, pre-cut with some extra length, pre-bent, airbrushed reddish colour (incidentally - the dark red I used on my von Marwitz Pfalz D.IIIa :-) - seen that colour in the photos of Mercedes D.II in the WNW instruction leaflet for Alb. B.II). Glued with gel CA glue into holes drilled at magneto electrodes and at the bottom of wire guides. Then easily bent to the final shape, glued with gel CA glue to the spark plugs, trimmed when glue set. Some inevitable paint losses retouched. And finally some brass paint applied at the connections to the spark plugs. I hope that makes sense...

Offline aliluke

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
The fuselage woodwork looks amazing. Much better than the decals which even on sheet look overly grained to my eye (I have this kit). A wonderful and aspirational build by you as always.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
It doesn't get any better than this! Beautifully done wooden fuselage!
RAGIII

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
Thanks Prze,

Yes, that is helpful... you make it sound easy  ???

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Undercarriage done (minus the Scale Spokes, wheels which are put for the photos only provisionally). The revised late tail skid is made from resin struts and the skid body itself is cut from the kit part - it still needs some dirt and wash.
Also the turnbuckles for interplane rigging are prepared.

Now the tail surfaces are in the paintshop. More to come soon...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:01:10 AM by PrzemoL »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »
Truely amazing work! I love how carefully you painted even the smallest metal fitting on the fuselage.
And these spiked wheels look great.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
Superb.  Just love watching what you are doing and trying to emulate it.  Fantastic!

Dan