Author Topic: French Silver Dope Finishes  (Read 3875 times)

Offline RAGIII

French Silver Dope Finishes
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:35:58 AM »
With the immanent release of the Copper State Nieuport XVII I thought I would ask this question. Did the French Aluminum Dope have a finish similar to the German Pfalz Silbergrau? In other words is it straight up aluminum or should we look to add a bit of grey to the mix?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline davecww1

Re: French Silver Dope Finishes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
Hi Rick,
As far as I know the Nieuport 17 was straight aluminum dope,  no gray should be added. I asked Alan Toelle about Guynemer's 17 that appeared to have a grayer rear side of the fuselage but he said it was all the angle of the light hitting the aluminum.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »
Good information, thanks.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline xan

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »
it was a d ope with alu pigment against UV. No grey
It had to be very shiny, if we see how those fabric piece lools like 100 year ago....

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies! That fabric piece with the N3 insignia is awesome!
RAGIII

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the pic Xan!
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »
SPECTACULAR pic thanks Xan

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »
My suggestion would be to mix 2/3rd of light grey and 1/3rd of Aluminium for a 1:32nd Model because of the "scale effect" all colours should be chosen much lighter and less glossy as it would be in the original to simulate the distance of the viewer.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
I have used a combination of gray en silver for my Pfalz planes to get a good silbergrau, if the Nieuports and other french planes were a silver dope, I would not add grey to the mix.
I think I will be using Tamiya paints, either their silver or aluminium and finish off with a semi-gloss coat.
Other 'real' metal paints are too bright for a dope finish, the grains in the Tamiya paints should be be just fine.

anyway, just my 2 cents..

Hidde
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:33:01 AM by hiddeous1973 »

Offline xan

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
In my opinion we have to dare bright silver.
and then, weathered the paint with dust mud and so...
That is what i will do with  my late ni-17...
Xan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:24:10 PM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »
I have being trying to research this as well for the Nieuport. I'm liking the look of a combo of aluminium finishes to fit the different underlying materials - fabric, plywood and steel. I'm looking at a Vallejo set - white aluminium, semi matte aluminium, dull aluminium and chrome. I'm hoping some else leads off with the later version kit and see how they go. I am thinking the ply would be dull - sucking in the paint and tarnishing quickly, the fabric white and the steel the shiniest in chrome but all pure guesses on my part...I think the suggestion of slightly different finishes according to the material underneath is the way I'd go with the kit.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
I appreciate all of the replies ! I also think a multi shade/ gloss/semi gloss etc. is the way to go. I will play with the options before painting. Now that being said I have been researching birds flown by the Lafayette Escadrille and a whole New Series of questions have arisen. I will post those in the appropriate place  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 05:22:48 AM »
I have being trying to research this as well for the Nieuport. I'm liking the look of a combo of aluminium finishes to fit the different underlying materials - fabric, plywood and steel. I'm looking at a Vallejo set - white aluminium, semi matte aluminium, dull aluminium and chrome. I'm hoping some else leads off with the later version kit and see how they go. I am thinking the ply would be dull - sucking in the paint and tarnishing quickly, the fabric white and the steel the shiniest in chrome but all pure guesses on my part...I think the suggestion of slightly different finishes according to the material underneath is the way I'd go with the kit.

Cheers
Alistair

I like this approach; it would keep the model from looking too "monoCHROMEatic" :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)