Author Topic: French 5 colours camouflage 1918  (Read 11008 times)

Offline xan

French 5 colours camouflage 1918
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
Here is an research work about french 5 colours camouflage in 1918 in the french WWI models forum
It is obviusly written i french but references in Gunze are understandable.
Use google traduction too.
Hope it can be helpfull!
http://1914.forumactif.com/t231-camouflage-5-tons-francais-1918

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: French 5 colours camouflage 1918
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
This is fantastic, Xan!  Thank you for posting.  I have a SPAD XIII on the bench.  Been sitting on the corner for 6 years.  Maybe  now I'll finish it.  :-[
I was wondering, what paints would you recommend for the 2 color camouflage on the Copper State early Nieuport 17?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Thanks for the reference Xan, will be very useful in the future.

Offline xan

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
what paints would you recommend for the 2 color camouflage on the Copper State early Nieuport 17?
Waow! an anglo saxon modeler talking about two and not four colour camouflage , I love you Bud!!!

for the green I used 50% Gunze H340 field green FS and 50% Gunze H75 dark sea grey
for the brown H   Chocolate brown

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 03:14:48 AM »
Thanks, Xan!  Love you, too.  I'm totally on board with the 2 tone theory.  BUT, there are a few, not many, photos of SOME Nieuport 11's in 3 or 4 color camo.  Mostly in American hands.  But I agree with you on all the others.  After all, you are French!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:48 AM »
Great reference, thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline xan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 06:44:13 AM »
there are a few, not many, photos of SOME Nieuport 11's in 3 or 4 color camo.  Mostly in American hands.
I agree with you, they have been 3 or maybe 4 colors plane (chapman description), but I do think it was not the standart paint...

Xan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 02:19:06 AM »
regarding the multicolor Nieups...

if they're in American hands, they are by definition late-war. and stick and tissue kites don't have an amazing shelf life if not maintained...

therefore i (speculatively, but i hope rationally) conclude they were re-covered and repainted.

Offline xan

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 04:04:15 PM »
if they're in American hands, they are by definition late-war.
N124 Lafayette squadron american volonteers group we are talking about started fighting in 1916
Xan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing although my High School French Leaves me clueless as to most of the content  :o I do tend to agree about the 2 color. As for the Lafayette birds they did some serious overpainting. Was it Chapman that had his Nieuport painted grey?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline xan

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
Yes but Chapmann says white, and it was , same as other few one like nungesser or Tarascon planes...
they tried new dope in white light blue and silver

XXan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:50 PM »
Yes but Chapmann says white, and it was , same as other few one like nungesser or Tarascon planes...
they tried new dope in white light blue and silver

to undestand better the text use google translator, just put the adress in the side to translate and it will traduce all the page...

Xan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
if they're in American hands, they are by definition late-war.
N124 Lafayette squadron american volonteers group we are talking about started fighting in 1916
Xan

True. But that's a French squadron with American pilots, so French rules.

Offline xan

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »
Anyway when US army get in war the 1916 two colours camouflage was no more used, and americain Ni-28 had the 5 colour camouflage I talk in the begining of the topic...
Xan
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
Does anyone know what Tamiya or VJ paints could be used as subsitutes?