Author Topic: WNW Hannover Cl.II  (Read 7851 times)

Offline aliluke

WNW Hannover Cl.II
« on: October 13, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
Hi
I got this kit for a ridicously cheap price at the Wingnut stand at a Model Expo here in Wellington earlier this year. I think the cheap price was because it was missing the original instructions which were replaced with a photocopy of the PDF instructions - who cares? I think they had only a few Hannovers up for grabs so I was quick to get one as I have always wanted this kit.

I'm recently underway and I'll be doing scheme E - the trainer in pale blue - mainly to avoid having to paint lozenge which all of the other schemes require. I'm already massively impressed with the detail in this kit which is combined with an almost click together fit - others have commented on this in the past. I am further on with it than the images show here but having camera problems so can't bring it up to date just yet.

The crank case is a little dirtier than intended. Got carried away. I'm not going to wire this engine because I'm going to make it fully cowled but I did take the time to paint the incredible detail e.g. spark plugs even though you won't see them. I'm sort of questioning the whole wiring thing in any regard as it is so difficult for me and has little payback to my eyes (except when done by the experts here)...

Cheers,
Alistair

It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Dave Brewer

Re: WNW Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
Nice start Alistair,looks great.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
What Dave said!
I like the monochrome trainer version if the Hannover, because this „monochromity“ makes the shape of the plane more „visible“.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »
    I'm going to be very interested in following your Build of this one Alistair, we haven't seen a lot of this Kit here and I've avoided the temptation to start mine. That lozenge is another reason I've left her in the stash; a great looking design and one that will look good on your shelf.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 06:14:47 AM »
Very cool! I really like that forward firewall -some very tidy paintwork there!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
Alistair,
    Great start!  I have this same kit I only bought recently.  I'll be following along to see how you get along.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 07:37:43 PM »
Terrific start! I am looking forward to the rest of the build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
Great start, she is turning out quite nicely.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
Thanks all
I have finally got my lost camera back from my teenage daughter >:( so will post updates in the next few days as I'm further on than the previous pics.

The delicacy of the detail of this kit is incredible but also dangerous. I snapped a leg off one of the camera frames and the radio frame during a dry fit install with both sides of the fuselage- my fault entirely but, man, it is fiddly and the pieces are very fine. Both easy fixes but now I'm very wary of forthcoming installations such as the forward machine gun which has six fragile threads that need to be connected into the cockpit and engine bay all at the same time. Big gulp of beer before I get that piece in place...and then the question - can I get it in after the fuselage halves are closed? Or do I have to mask it during the painting process - which is what the instructions suggest but it seems like a nightmare? I have already experience the downside of dry fit testing. Guy - Gisbod - can you help? Yours is my reference Hannover!

This is my 4th WNW plane and, detail wise, easyily the best so far which is saying a lot!

Cheers
Alistair

Offline aliluke

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
Hi
Update and ready to close.

Many errors - all my fault. Corrections include adding a new instrument to the frame between the pilot and observer. It is a stress meter for the modeller and created from the blob of glue created to get the broken frame back together. I've also worked out that the forward machine gun can be installed after closing the fuselage but it will be a challenge with the many frames that asociate with it and have to be fitted.

You will also see the broken radio frame but this turns out to be a good mistake - makes the two halves easier to fit and I'd break - or cut it - on purpose if I did this kit again.

Cheers,
Alistair

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
Haha, I like the Stressmeter: Should becsupplied by all manufacturers as an optional part!
Your Hannover is coming along very nicely! Looking forward to see more! (Steady, man, steady!)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 04:38:50 AM »
Gorgeous looking interior, Alistair!  I, too, like the Stressmeter option.  Keep up the outstanding work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline KevTheModeller

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 06:56:55 AM »
Superb work, very impressive looking forward to following the rest of the build.
Kev

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
Terrific Interior work! Looks neat and clean! Looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 05:36:11 PM »
Hi - thanks to all for feedback.

All locked up now. A testimony to the engineering of this kit - tiny amounts of fill for a seamless finish of the fuselage top and bottom. All now painted in the base colour. The wings had some pre-shading but it is very hard to see.

Next steps:

Gloss coat the body and wings.
Mask off ribs.
Dapple all with sponge applied darker coat of blue.
Over spray with thinned base colour (if necessary)
Clear coat.
Future coatings...

Onwards!

Cheers
Alistair