Author Topic: Wingnuts Halberstadts  (Read 4788 times)

Offline macsporran

Wingnuts Halberstadts
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
The box art for both new Halberstadts looks really good and the options provided are varied and colourful. I don't think there is much difference though between early and late production examples and I'm sure one of these will be sufficient to represent the type in my collection.
Wish they had taken the opportunity to maybe offer a Cl IV instead of a second Cl II.
Sandy

Offline Ringleheim

Re: Wingnuts Halberstadts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:09:01 PM »

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 11:16:36 PM »
Does anyone know the price for the kit, the picture is a little bit blurry, but looks like 23,500 Yen (maybe its my old eyes).

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
I hope it's more on the 13.500 Yen-side..!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 11:40:33 PM »
I am a little deeper in that airplane and I am quite sure that the main differences between early and late boxings will be the markings and the finish of the wings. Like Polish researchers found out not too long ago, early Cl. IIs had their upper wing surfaces covered in light Tarnstoff (which is normally used for the lower sides) and the lower sides of the wings were CDL. Remember e. g. the early and late DFW C. V, there is no fundamental difference neither.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 04:45:18 AM »
Does anyone know the price for the kit, the picture is a little bit blurry, but looks like 23,500 Yen (maybe its my old eyes).

The price tag definitely says 23,500 Yen, or about $207 US.

That's a lot of money even by WNW standards for a standard single engine, 2 seat German observation aircraft.

If that is the price they launch at, it will mark a considerable hike in price!

Like a $100 (US) hike in price.

For that reason, I am thinking that price is wrong.

I don't know.  We'll find out when the kit is released.

Offline maddog

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »
The retail prices for WNW kits in Japanese hobby stores  are generally around 30% higher than ordering from NZ so this price probably isnt indicitive. Looks inflated even for Tokyo though.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
I'm on for one of these at least but hope the price is more in line with their other two seaters. I'm liking the early version but am also tempted by the late...will await more details from WNW.

I've got a lot to build but that makes me happy! Am I crazy? Maybe.  ::)

A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 02:09:14 AM »
I'm on for one of these at least but hope the price is more in line with their other two seaters. I'm liking the early version but am also tempted by the late...will await more details from WNW.

I've got a lot to build but that makes me happy! Am I crazy? Maybe.  ::)

A

You are not in this alone....

Well, yes let’s keep fingers crossed regarding the price; especially as the Halberstadt, although being a twoseater, was not a large aircraft, but more the size of an Albatros D fighter than e. g.  a DFW.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 10:49:15 AM »
I asked Wingnuts for clarification on the likely price of the two Halberstadts and the official answer is the kits price will be pretty much in line with Wingnuts' other two seaters.

So somewhere between $US119 and $US 129 seems like the likely price.

Also Wingnuts has now uploaded more images and colour profiles  of the kits on their website.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:56:29 AM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »
I hope (but don't expect) they do something with the decals, in line with what Mirage Hobby did with their 1/48 releases.
They did a wonderfull thing recreating both a fantastic lozenge as well as that very special overpainted lozenge for the fuselage.

If not, maybe the afermarket people will do something with this as painting it myself will surely be recipy for disaster....

If not, maybe a 'plain' WnW version next to my Mirage Hobby CL.IV.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
I agree - some great schemes but bloody hard to paint and it doesn't look like they are offering lozenge decals for the body. Maybe (hopefully) they are still in development...
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline janh

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
the spues are online incredible casting on the tailplane hinge actuator!
the scrumble camouflage on the fuselage is not provided as a decal: CHALLENGING!

Offline Dwaynewilly

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
The "scrumble" camouflage is not that difficult at all.  Do a Google search for Halberstadt CL.II profiles.  The one by Dave Douglass is the best in my opinion. 

The most important tool you will need is an old chisel shaped brush that has seen better days.  The chisel brush is flat and square in shape, some have short bristles and others are longer.  The short one is the size most preferable.  The bristles on an older brush are starting to bend and curl a bit, perfect for dry brushing.  A new brush can be used if an old one is not available, just remember the technique described below will be tough on the shape of the brush.

Stippling is the technique I use to apply the camouflage colors.  It is similar to dry-brushing accept in one critical way.  Instead of drawing the brush across the surface as in painting, you jab the brush into the surface to leave dots and small dashes.  It's important to make sure that the majority of paint is wiped off the brush.  Paint a test fuselage or scrap sheet in a natural wood color of your preference.  Include the amount of grain you wish to portray.  You will need to pick the camouflage colors. I use lilac, a medium blue and a green, a light and darker green can be used.  Apply the camouflage colors in different locations with minor overlapping using the stippling technique.  Throughout the process, the fuselage color should still be visible to some degree.  Not to worry if it becomes completely covered in some places, you can stipple the fuselage color on top of the camouflage if that happens.

Give that a shot and see how it turns out.

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:51:48 PM by Dwaynewilly »