Author Topic: Time for your input on future Forum content  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Time for your input on future Forum content
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
My sincere thanks to everyone who has provided feedback on the future shape of the Forum. I really appreciate your input and ideas and a number of the suggestions will be implemented over time.

At the moment I'm still learning the technical side of how the Forum works but I'm also acutely aware of the importance of retaining Des' "signature" here. The content and the many boards were set up by him and while change is inevitable, I'd like to regard changes to the Forum as an evolution, rather than a revolution.

So please be aware that it may be a little while before you see major changes but those who have responded have given a very clear indication of how you want the Forum to look and to run.

Thanks to the kindness and generosity of those who have donated funds to the Forum I will be engaging an IT person to help us make some necessary changes that are way beyond my expertise. One of the first tasks is to access the archive and if possible retrieve the Featured Modeller files, then upload them again as a starting point for a new Featured Modeller section.

The Forum's major strength though is not in its technical side but in the regular interaction of the members. We are really a global modelling club inside your computer or tablet and we are at our best when members are chatting, showing their work, reporting on local model shows, sharing news of new releases and generally engaging in regular and ongoing discussions about our shared passion for WW1 models.

Please keep this thread going with your ideas and wishes. Everyone's wishes are being noted and I'm confident over time we'll have a Forum that not only preserves the legacy of friendly co-operation that Des instilled, but also a vibrant Forum that reflects the members' interests and draws people back every day to catch up with the latest posts.

Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »
glad you're on the case, Dave. the forum is in safe hands.

i'll keep the opinions going because i never run out of opinions:

a "like" button on posts would be a great addition. kinda like what they have on the britmodeller forum.

Dekenba1

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 02:45:24 AM »
-No armour. if people want armour, there are plenty of armour forums.

-Modeller of the month. Not needed.

-Sub-Forum. There are already too many sub-forums. Just a "Models", "General" "Builds" & "Traders" forum would be sufficient, because there is not really a high volume of posts to necessitate so many sub-forums, which take a lot of trolling through. LSP has it about right.

-Tone. I'm probably in a minority of one, but I'd like the tone relaxed just a tad. Competing opinions should not be shot down so easily and classed as "snark".

-Competitions. Not required, it's all about WWI aeroplane kits, not winning things.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
"Tone. I'm probably in a minority of one, but I'd like the tone relaxed just a tad. Competing opinions should not be shot down so easily and classed as "snark"."

Dekenba, your quoted remarks above have me a bit baffled as I don't believe our forum "shoots down" competing opinions and we certainly do not practice "snarky" behaviour. I am concerned that you think this happens because, from Day One of this Forum, the rule was to treat everyone fairly and equally in a spirit of friendship. That is certainly still the guiding policy.

If you believe people are "snarky" and quick to shoot down differing views, please PM some examples to me to follow up on.

I've always felt this Forum has been the friendliest WW1 model site on the Net and I want it to continue this way.

Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 01:10:33 AM »
"Tone. I'm probably in a minority of one, but I'd like the tone relaxed just a tad. Competing opinions should not be shot down so easily and classed as "snark"."

Dekenba, your quoted remarks above have me a bit baffled as I don't believe our forum "shoots down" competing opinions and we certainly do not practice "snarky" behaviour. I am concerned that you think this happens because, from Day One of this Forum, the rule was to treat everyone fairly and equally in a spirit of friendship. That is certainly still the guiding policy.

If you believe people are "snarky" and quick to shoot down differing views, please PM some examples to me to follow up on.

I've always felt this Forum has been the friendliest WW1 model site on the Net and I want it to continue this way.

Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave, let me reassure you. This is the friendliest WW1 model forum on the planet.
If forum members feel like they are not being heard or their point of view is worthless then please contact our Admins.

Keep up the great work.

Bob  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 01:14:48 AM »
Well, in all honesty, I believe I can be a bit snarky at times, however it's usually couched in gibberish.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 02:12:06 AM »
  Tone. "A style or mode of expression" according to Noah Webster.

I am a firm supporter of healthy debate and dialogue, and greatly encourage it with the caveat that it is respectful of others and non confrontational in nature. I often use the expression "the only thing we are sure of is ............ were not sure". There are very few "absolutes" in the subjects we pursue, debate, and study in this hobby we share here thus some disagreement is inevitable. As long as that debate is respectful of the other it's a symptom of a healthy forum of discussion, and we all learn from it. As Bob has so clearly stated this is a friendly, if not the friendliest Forum of all associated with the hobby. As your Moderator I'm pleased to say that 99.9% of the posts I read (and I read them all!) are not only interesting and enjoyable but, importantly, knowledgeable, polite, and considerate in tone and presentation. As a group of like minded individuals with common interests and values we would not want it any other way methinks.
    This Forum is one of my "happy places", I truly enjoy the privilege of sharing my passion for WW.I Aviation and all that subject holds with the great bunch of folks here whose company I value and respect. We don't often meet directly but when we do I've found the experience is always positive and enjoyable.
   Des founded this site on the principles of fairness and friendship and our new Administrator has maintained that as our guiding principle, with that in place we cannot go wrong. I think we are in great shape!
Cheers, :)
Lance

Offline Gene K

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 02:55:48 AM »
Thanks for that beautiful post, Lance.

Gene K

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 04:25:36 AM »
    This Forum is one of my "happy places", I truly enjoy the privilege of sharing my passion for WW.I Aviation and all that subject holds with the great bunch of folks here whose company I value and respect. We don't often meet directly but when we do I've found the experience is always positive and enjoyable.
   Des founded this site on the principles of fairness and friendship and our new Administrator has maintained that as our guiding principle, with that in place we cannot go wrong. I think we are in great shape!
Cheers, :)
Lance

So true!

I'd like to add one thing: If we would share our ideas on solving the world's hunger problem or on the best cure against AIDS or any other mortal disease, then a "burning" exchange of arguments would be vital. But this is a hobby, it's something we chose for pleasure, joy and relaxing, not for fighting each other...
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »
Well, in all honesty, I believe I can be a bit snarky at times, however it's usually couched in gibberish.
Cheers,
Bud

+1 on the gibberish, Bud! Not you, but me!  ;D ;D

I wouldn't have it any other way.

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith