Author Topic: Time for your input on future Forum content  (Read 7032 times)

Offline gbrivio

Re: Time for your input on future Forum content
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
Thank you Dave for asking members for inputs. I like the forum as it is but I agree with Przemol about making a format for builds titles, to standardize and make easyer to search topics. And also I think it can be easyer to handleforum maintenance if grouping all builds in one section without distinction of resin, paper, metal etc. As other pointed despite being "...aircraftmodels..." forum I like vehicles, miniatures and other WW1 stuff appearance in the "time for relax" section; these add great value to the forum. Best regards everybody.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:59 AM »
I completely concur with Andreas, Dave, and what Bud said about Des' residual influence is spot on...but if any minor tweaking and/or streamlining is deemed appropriate, your discretion is fine by me....I also agree with the Prince Dave bit.                -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
At first I have to say thank you for your work on this forum.
I agree in the most points with the other fellows and must say: It is great as it is.
I would like to see the featured modeller section to be revived, because it brings us more together and shows something of the human behind the nickname and the small picture.
I think it would be nice to add 2 more topics for ships and land vehicles. Lots of us get their fingers on a MKIV, a howitzer or an other land based vehicle/ gun. So it would be easyer to browse throug the content.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline NigelR

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »
I'll just reinforce some of the points made already and add a few of my own:

• Stay focused on WWI aircraft. This is the "USP" for the site and you don't want to lose that. There are other sites like Landships II and Planet Figure that focus on armour and figure modelling.
  • However, don't make this solely about aircraft. Aircraft modellers sometimes need to know how to make figures and vehicles, and some modellers (like me) make a bit of everything, so it's nice to have these as a secondary focus. You have the "WW1 Armour, Artillery, Vehicles, dioramas, associated figures and Ships" sub-board as a good catch-all, so keep that as it is would be my recommendation. Although I suggest y ou split figures and dioramas into to separate sub-boards (see below).
  • IMO there are already too many sub-boards that make the site complex to navigate. Sub-boards with limited traffic don't add much value IMO. I always access the site using "unread posts since last visit" because it is too time consuming to go into the different sub-boards. It also means some areas will get very little traffic (like card and resin models sections).
  • I would suggest just having "Completed Builds" and "Under Construction" as the primary modelling sub-boards under WWI aircraft. That will increase traffic and not make the card modellers (for example) feel a bit left out.
  • I would remove the WWI aviation figures, WWI aircraft dioramas and WWI Vehicles and airfield equipment sub-boards. Have a single sub-board for all WWI figures, a separate one for all WWI dioramas and a third for all WWI armour, vehicles and equipment. The techniques used for a WWI aviation figure are largely the same as any WWI figure, so why separate the boards and reduce traffic? Same goes for dioramas and vehicles.
  • Final recommendation - keep up the good work! IMO you can leave everything as it is and it will still be a fantastic resource. So don't make a rod for your own back by trying to make "improvements" that may not be that necessary.....

Offline certainreasons

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 10:47:39 PM »
Unlike others I would like to keep the many subdivisions of topics, especially for media. Sometimes I enjoy browsing through all the recent posts on any WWI subject, but at other times I appreciate being able to quickly access posts for just vacs or decals, for example. Apart from the incredible amount and quality of the content, the clear distinction of topics was one of the most welcome and impressive aspects of the site. Tutorials on techniques would be great - is there a way of tagging existing info from the build posts? I find the search function to be erratic in usefulness. WWI subjects other then aircraft are welcome to me, not just aircraft, even if I personally have little or no interest in them. I'd like to thank Des, wherever he is now, for creating such a great site.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 11:21:52 PM »
is there a way of tagging existing info from the build posts?

Not in this software, it predates that kind of feature
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 03:35:29 AM »
Thanks Dave for continuing on as administrator of the Forum and putting it up to the membership as to what they want to see.   I agree with all the points that Prezmol introduced.  I think as the mast head states.  ww1aircraftmodels.com, that is the way it should stay.  As mentioned, I support the other aspects of the hobby in the time to relax section where the modelers can post whatever else they are working on, being WWI armor to Gundam, that would be the place for it.  Keep the forum WWI aircraft models.  Streamlining some of the topics or combining would be helpful.  Bring back the featured modeler, a nice way to put a face to a name.
Links to tutorials could take the place of a member doing a tutorial.  Flory models, Andys Hobbies and others all have You Tube videos with how to and some step by step.  I think this would be better than a lengthy text with photo's on how to rig a model.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline pustota

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:19 AM »
Thank you for what you do!
I'd like to propose more often and more varied group builds.
 I think it will  stimulate for a more interesting builds, technics and  communication

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 08:25:20 AM »
One further comment. I have No Objection to consolidation of some of the Subforums… As long as we don't lose a single thread! I also enjoy going back and looking at some of Garys. Paper builds, Mannis Artillery pieces . etc. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
I'm in the camp for inclusion of land, sea, and figures that pertain strictly to WWI. Some select editing/streamlining of catagories ought to yield an easily navigable forum, and draw more WWI enthusiasts. I completely agree that WWI is a niche market, and the ship, armor, and figure guys are just as enthusiastic about their niche.
WWI ships-all content/scales
WWI figures-all content /scales
WWI vehicles-all content/scales
I also would like to see the forum remain as polite as it has always been.
Last, thank you for all the great work.

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »
I haven't heard it mentioned, and if it is unmentionable here, please correct and forgive me, but what about Russian Civil War aircraft? The vast majority of which were WWI aircraft. It opens up a whole raft of interesting markings.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
I haven't heard it mentioned, and if it is unmentionable here, please correct and forgive me, but what about Russian Civil War aircraft? The vast majority of which were WWI aircraft. It opens up a whole raft of interesting markings.
sp

yeah i'm in the WWI-ish camp too. i think the wars after and around the war are fair game, WNW even includes Freikorps markings in the Junkers D.1 kit.

for ships, boats, landships, non-aviation figures, i think they should get an "other WWI" section.  everything else can go in "time to relax."

this would keep the structure simple enough but also put all the non-aviation WWI in one place for people that are into that stuff...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
FWIW.
I think WW1 Aviation should take up 90% of the forum with the other 10% for land and sea.

Just my 2 penny worth.  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ondra

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »
First of all, many thanks to Dave for keeping this forum running and giving us the opportunity to express our wishes.

One functionality which could be helpful from my POV would be filter for my own posts. Currently I only have the possibility to click on "show unread posts since last visit" or "show new replies to your posts".

That means, when I want to take a look at my older builds (where there are no new comments), I have to look for them manually or search via fulltext, which is rather difficult in case of threads 4 years old.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »
First of all, many thanks to Dave for keeping this forum running and giving us the opportunity to express our wishes.

One functionality which could be helpful from my POV would be filter for my own posts. Currently I only have the possibility to click on "show unread posts since last visit" or "show new replies to your posts".

That means, when I want to take a look at my older builds (where there are no new comments), I have to look for them manually or search via fulltext, which is rather difficult in case of threads 4 years old.

Cheers

Ondra

Just a bit of advice on your problem - you can sort the threads in a given section by "Started by" category just clicking it in the section header - this puts all your threads together - just assess where "o" is in the alphabet to localize the appropriate subpage.  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.