Author Topic: Roland C.II  (Read 10153 times)

Offline aliluke

Re: Roland C.II
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
Hi Gary
If that header is like the DFW it'll also pipe through to the underside of the upper wing. I'm certainly no expert on this! Your details already exceed my thoughts.

With respect to the wings, I'll be experimenting on exactly the same thing when I get to DFW - next up. Can't offer advice but I like your outcomes so far.

Cheers,
Alistair

It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline GB

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
Thanks Al.

Here's what the wings look like atached to fueslage...

Hard to notice as it's very subtle (intentionally), but there is a 'shadow' square incorporated in the lower surface of the upper wing which has the national marking directly above it...

Preshading starts....

Squares are masked where the national markings will go....

Wings are painted light blue using the WNW recommended mix of X2 and XF18 in a 10:1 ratio. When dry, they are give a mottled effect with the same paints (5:3 ratio this time) using a sponge application. I then masked off the wings to paint the white squares.  The actual crosses and hand cut with a sharp scalpel using the kit decals as a template. I have just ordered a Brother Scan n Cut for this purpose but it's going to be a week before it arrives and didn't want to hold up progress...

Flat Black is lightly misted on....

Similar process for underneath the lower wings (no white squares though)...

No doubt a much more accurate mask can be cut with the Brother unit rather than by free-hand, but am very happy so far with the results. The red bands on the upper wings (guides for the gunner to use to prevent shooting off the prop) are also masked and painted.

Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
Wow Gary, those wings look fantastic (along with the rest).  Looking forward to your progress on this beauty.

Offline GB

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »
Thanks Juan.

Fueslage gets it coat of paint next....

Next up is masking and painting of stripes (WIP)...

Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 03:48:37 AM »
Outstanding interior work, I like the overall look, very realistic.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 05:22:16 AM »
Gorgeous! 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 05:53:27 AM »
Yes, thats some really great modelling! I really love it!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GB

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
Thanks guys.

The masking process is pretty straighforward for the basic type of crosses. I lay two pieces of Tamiya's Kamoi tape onto a cutting map (so I can get two crosses in one go) and then put the decal I want to copy into warm water as you would normally. The decal is then applied to the tape and blotted to remove excess water. A third piece of tape is then laid directly over the top.
The decal shows clearly through the tape and I then cut the cross out with a brand new scalpel using freehand for the curved sections and a steel rule for the straight parts. I then use a rule again to cut out the outside of the square.

The white square is masked on the kit and painted and left to dry. The top layer of the mask is removed and discarded (will have the now unwanted decal stuck to it) and carefully remove the next layer from the cutting mat (leaving one behind for the opposite side) and apply to the fuselage using the outer masking tape as a template for correct alignment. I then add thin strips around the edge to cover any small gaps there may be between the mask and the outer tapes....

Black is then airbrushed on. Important to use thin layers here so it won't leave raised lines at the edges but don't over dilute the paint so it won't creep under the mask....

The mask is then carefully removed....

... along with the rest of the tape and you should have a nice Maltese cross on a white square....

Yes, it is a lot more involved than using decals, but you really do get a much better finish IMHO and no need to worry abut the decal not setting properly over raised details etc.

Gary

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
Nice work on your Roland CII Gary.

This kit is one of my favourites.

I also airbrushed the Iron Cross markings on, ....Bob Buckle supplied me with some laser cut template masks if anyone else wants to try this but does not want to buy a cutter?

I really like the nice touch you did with the coiled up expansion tube on the coolant header tank.

Bo Monro supplies carbonit bombs if you wanted to display the model with some ordnance being loaded up?

Offline aliluke

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Your paint work looks awesome. I'd really like a tutorial on how you do the sponging for the mottled effect - it came out brilliantly. I'm going to be doing the light blue finish on the WNW Hannover at some point.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline GB

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »
Alistair - mottled effect is simply made by applying paint with a piece of sponge.

With the markings complete, I then applied various filters and washes before fixing the wings and struts permanetly in place. Anemometer is from Gaspatch though is larger than the kit part - but much better detailed. I've started adding rigging using Modelkasten lines with Gaspatch turnbuckles (1/48 and 1/32) where appropriate....

Gary

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »
That looks really great, Gary.
The shading on the fuselage and the different shades on the wings have a very convincing effect on the model.
I also like the engine and the complete interior of the engine-bay, pilot and observer cockpit very well.

I am currently building the Roland C.IIa for a good friend, the schema white "7" with shark's mouth.

I see you are enjoying building the Roland C.II as much as I enjoy built the C.IIa.
I stay tuned to your built-report!

Very good work!!  ;)

Servus
Bertl

Offline GB

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »
Thanks Bertl

I have hit a brick wall a couple of times with this, but am enjoying it overall. Hoping it will be my firts completed biplane  :D

Last update for the weekend. The C.II now sits on its undercarriage and rigging is complete. Just need to paint the lines a steel colour. Decided the PE part supplied for the undercarriage rigging was over simplified so made my own attachments using part of the original PE, fuse wire, .010 fishing wire and Bob's Buckles tubes soldered together and finished off with Modelkasten rigging lines. Still a fair way to go yet, but  - feel that the end is now in sight  8)

Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
Just catching up. Really nice progress!!

Steve

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
Wow, Gary! This is just PERFECT. The best CII I have ever seen. The preshadeing and the mottled paint on the wings is just outstanding. Very good work, Sir!Chapeau,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau