Author Topic: Podcast interview with Richard Alexander of Wingnut Wings.  (Read 5360 times)

Offline TimTam

Podcast interview with Richard Alexander of Wingnut Wings.
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:47:34 AM »
Hi,

if you are looking for your next Wingnut Wings fix then you might be interested in an interview Richard Alexander gave to the boys from the "On the Bench" modelling podcast.

http://otbmodellerspodcast.libsyn.com/

There's a very slight hint about an upcoming release.

Cheers.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
Re: Podcast interview with Richard Alexander of Wingnut Wings.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
Good listen.  Mr. Alexander keeping his cards close to the vest.  Wonder what the connection to Australia is in the next release?
Honor Necessity

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:45:27 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_England_to_Australia_flight

Ahem. Just saying...

Take your pick out of any of that list, but my initial thought was “Vimy”. Which is daft but... just how daft? Possibly along the lines of “I’ll Need to build a hangar in the garden” daftness.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:50:24 AM by chris_jephcott »
Currently building: WNW Hansa-Brandenburg W29

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »
I'll put money on the Martinsyde Elephant.  Martinsyde G.100 7486 was flown by Frank Hubert McNamara when he rescued downed pilot, Capt. D.W. Rutherford, earning him the only Victoria Cross awarded to an Australian pilot during WWI.
Just saying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McNamara_(VC)

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »
Just a guess here but perhaps Wingnuts has plans for a reissue of their recently sold out SE5a?

A high profile Australian pilot was Major Roderic Stan Dallas officially credited with 39 victories. He flew a Hispano SE5a ( and a Sopwith Triplane) so either would be a good reissue candidate.

The Triplane reissue is already in the works as Collishaw's machine so if you wanted a good SE5a candidate with an Aussie flavour, Dallas is a strong contender especially as his SE5a had an unusual camouflage scheme as shown below in the recent Eduard 1/48th scale kit

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:45:12 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_England_to_Australia_flight

Ahem. Just saying...

Take your pick out of any of that list, but my initial thought was “Vimy”. Which is daft but... just how daft? Possibly along the lines of “I’ll Need to build a hangar in the garden” daftness.

Chris
Not all that daft, Chris.  The Vimy was relatively small for a 2 engined bomber.  Smaller than the Gotha and MUCH smaller than the Felixstowe.  I have an old 1/48 resin Vimy in my stash and it seems to be about the size of the AEG G.IV. Broad cord, but narrow span.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline krow113

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »
Did any Aussies fly 0/400's?

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
Did any Aussies fly 0/400's?

Hope so... ;)
Honor Necessity

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
A DH5, perhaps?
It served with No2 AFC and there is a replica at Omaka in Sir Peter’s wonderful museum.

Cheers

Syd

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
I think the pertinent question is: Did the Vimy come out before the end of hostilities? WNW has released multiple models of planes released very late, and flew on/soldiered on into the 1920s. I hope the Vimy fits that description.

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
I believe the Vimy was developed in late 1917 and in service in 1919 - just missing the end of WW1. However... bearing in mind there’s a few late kits of aircraft heading into the interwar years, it might be possible!

I’d love one for sure though. Just would need a new man cave to display it alongside the Felixstowes, the AEGs and the Gotha!!
Currently building: WNW Hansa-Brandenburg W29

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
Looking at pics of the period there seems a lot of RE8's  - a new special perhaps - oh yes please :)

Coincidentally have a look at the PJ film just posted

Tug

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 12:58:40 AM »
just listened to it today. on the "Aussie flavor" i'd say the front runner is a Dh.5

i'd MUCH prefer a Stan Dallas SE.5a, it's already a Viper and would include a Stan Dallas figure (of which there are none, to my knowledge, and I've Googled furiously).

that said who wouldn't welcome an Re.8 repop?

Regarding the rest of the podcast, the most telling remark of Alexander's was in regard to SPAD XIII--to the effect of "how about a BF109E?" so don't expect one from them. ever. I'd say that also applies to the Dr.I especially since they've provided Roden decals. so it's not a French allergy per se as much as a SPAD/Nieuport allergy i think. odd to my eye, since "Sopwith Camel" is about like "how about a Spitfire?"

but it does seem to outline intent.

so maybe once Copper State's Nieuport 17 is a smash hit we can talk Edgar into a SPAD XII (and a XIII for those who must have an Emil).

guitarlute101

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 01:02:48 AM »
just listened to it today. on the "Aussie flavor" i'd say the front runner is a Dh.5

i'd MUCH prefer a Stan Dallas SE.5a, it's already a Viper and would include a Stan Dallas figure (of which there are none, to my knowledge, and I've Googled furiously).

that said who wouldn't welcome an Re.8 repop?

Regarding the rest of the podcast, the most telling remark of Alexander's was in regard to SPAD XIII--to the effect of "how about a BF109E?" so don't expect one from them. ever. I'd say that also applies to the Dr.I especially since they've provided Roden decals. so it's not a French allergy per se as much as a SPAD/Nieuport allergy i think. odd to my eye, since "Sopwith Camel" is about like "how about a Spitfire?"

but it does seem to outline intent.

so maybe once Copper State's Nieuport 17 is a smash hit we can talk Edgar into a SPAD XII (and a XIII for those who must have an Emil).

I agree totally. By the way, I intend to spend every single penny I can to support Copper State so they continue to produce their awesome figures and kits in all scales.

Mark

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 01:47:48 AM »
Looking at pics of the period there seems a lot of RE8's  - a new special perhaps - oh yes please :)

Coincidentally have a look at the PJ film just posted

Tug
                I join you in clutching that straw, Tug, echoing yes please...he did mention re-issues....but I also recall how, at one point, he sort of blurted out "French" something...I did sit up a bit at that....ah, yes....straw clutching indeed.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde