Author Topic: Scratch build partial stripdown Vickers FB 5 Gunbus 1/32 scale: a tribute to Des  (Read 28031 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Scratch build partial stripdown Vickers FB 5 Gunbus 1/32 scale
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2018, 11:50:06 PM »
 Stephen,
Fantastic project my old friend. Keep up the excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Gene K

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 03:10:18 AM »
Truly remarkable craftsmanship, Stephen!  You are in a class all by yourself!
Cheers,
Bud

Imagine that, I agree with my Amigo!
RAGIII

And since this board doesn't have a "Like" feature, I have a compelling need to respectfully agree with all the others!!

Gene K

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2018, 03:35:56 AM »
 Bud, Juan, Rick, Ondra, Lance, Prez, Gregory and Gene:

Many thanks to all of you for dropping by and leaving your generous and encouraging comments. These are much appreciated and I value them highly as they come from modellers for whom I have the greatest respect. I am hoping to be able to post another update shortly as I have been lucky enough to be able to spend more time on this project recently and am at a stage when progress is a bit faster as I have made most, (but not all), of the parts.

Stephen. 

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »
Evening All,

I think that I have mastered the finer points of uploading images on to a host site without having to wait for my photographic library to be loaded first, so here is the latest on my current build.

I have been able to spend a little more time on this project lately and am able to report some new developments with specific reference to the wings. The model will have one half "solid" i.e. it will look just like a normal aeroplane with the external surfaces and colours, but the other half will be exposed to show all of the structural elements - that is why I have only moulded one half of the nacelle covering. The starboard (right) wing wings will be "solid" and it is these that I have been steadily working on recently, but I have also carried out an experiment for proof of concept for the port (left) wing halves.

I started by moulding the solid parts of the wings as upper and lower surfaces - I have described the procedure already. For the lower wing I had to put a rib in at the fuselage end as there was a small gap between the nacelle side and end of the wing. The rib was made from 15 thou card and two holes drilled and squared off to allow the spars to pass through. I also butressed the rib with some scrap card:

Blocks of scrap plastic were glued to the lower wing shell to provide support for the brass bar spars and to ensure that where I will have to drill rigging holes later, there will be continuous plastic otherwise the rigging thread is likely to disapper into the cavity and I will not be able to pull it tight:

To protect the nacelle I wrapped it in a plastic bag which had been slipped over the brass bars: that was to stop me from accidentally damaging the nacelle and attached rigging wires, and stop dust and other muck getting into the cockpit areas where it would be difficult to remove later. I cut a small strip of plastic to fit into the wing tips: experience with the top wing had shown me that a gap is likely to appear there when I shape this area and I wanted to ensure that there is enough plastic to allow for much filing and sanding. The spars were epoxied to the wing:

and the top half of the shell glued into place. The structure was held with hair clips while the resin cured and glue dried out:

Much scraping, filing and sanding followed to get the tips to the correct shape and shape the leading edge and thin down the trailing edge. Some filler was needed to sort out some unwanted depressions at the tip, but the aerofoil section is close enough:

With the wing shaped to the correct size and profile I could drill the holes for the booms. I do not like to let good, practical ideas go to waste so I employed the same basic technique to drill the holes for the booms as I have used on my 1/72 scale pusher builds. First I draw a line which runs from the undersides of the leading and trailing edges of the wing to a point vertically beneath the rudder post. The angle between this line and the boom on the side elevation drawing gives me the angle that I have to hold the drill chuck against the wing when I drill the hole. I taped the sub-structure to the plan drawing so that the wing is exactly in the correct position and then held the hand chuck so that it is in line with the boom on the plan. A piece of paper with the correct angle as measured from the side elevation diagram steered me to a nearly correct angle to the horizontal for drilling. I used a smaller diameter bit than the brass rod which I will eventually use for the boom

and then gently enlarged the hole with a needle file:

By offering the brass rod to the hole I could use the plan to make sure that the alignment was correct. To achieve the correct final angle of the boom from the horizontal I placed a block of wood 22mm high, 12.6cm from the trailing edge of the wing (actually the front edge of the block was laid over the leading edge of the horizontal tail unit on the plan: that is 12.6cm from the wing). The hole in the wing could then be enlarged until the rod rested on the wood block: voila the rod has the exact angle and orientation.

The above procedures had already been carried out on the upper wing, and I had added the ribs and filled and sanded them, so I was able to check the alignments of the booms by resting the tip of the upper wing on a paint pot and the other end on the nacelle. The tips and leading edges of the wings were squared using a small set square and the alignments of both booms checked: the upper boom should be exactly in line with and above the lower one, although their respective angles in relation to the wings are different.

Please do not let anyone ever tell you that scratch building a pusher is a) difficult, b) complicated, c) needs expensive tools and jigs: I am demonstarting that they do not. All of this was done on my work tray and desk top!

The ribs were made from 10 x 30 thou strip glued with liquid cement after the ailerons had been cut off:

Mr Surfacer 500 followed by Mr Surfacer 1200 was used to fill the sides of the ribs and riblets, and then the sanding and filling began. When I thought that they were almost ready I applied a thin coat of primer and continued with the filling and sanding....

They are now ready to paint.

The wing structure on the port (left) side has been given some thought. It looks complicated, but when broken down it is not really. I had some spare wing ribs becuse when I was making them I forgot that some ribs have two gaps between the spars, and some three. I had only made ribs with two gaps.... hence the spare ones. I started by sliding the ribs on to the brass bars which represent the spars on the real aircraft. When the ribs had been aligned over the plan of the wing they were superglued to the brass bars. A lenght of 40 thou rod was glued to the front ends of the ribs to represent the leading edge:

and 10 x20 thou strip was cut and bent gently with tweezers before being cemented with liquid cement to the rod to make the riblets:

A coat of thinned Revell acrylic ochre (88) was applied before the next part of the assembly:

That was adding the rigging. I used monofilament thread and passed it between the rib and spar at the relevant points. I had drilled some holes in some of the ribs because I thought that I might fill the gaps between the ribs and spars with paint, but that did not happen and I will not be drilling holes in the ribs which i will put on to the wings:

Now the structure could be completed by adding the narrow reinforcemnt pieces from 10 x 20 thou strip on the top and bottoms of the ribs, and the wire trailing edge. I used thin copper wire for the latter but it is too bendy so on the actual wings I will use some slightly thicker wire:

Concept proved. So now to paint the solid parts of the wings, add the roundel on the underside of the lower wing and drill the strut and rigging holes. The I can take off the nacelle cover and continue to add more interior details there.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:20:13 AM by lone modeller »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
    "Please do not let anyone ever tell you that scratch building a pusher is a) difficult, b) complicated, c) needs expensive tools and jigs: I am demonstrating that they do not."

Stephen,
    Perhaps I'd agree with your statement if your tremendous model building talents were not so apparent here in this Build! This is just superb modelling and impressive beyond mere words. You make it look easy, and the results are spectacular. Keep bringing us this wonderful work, so much to enjoy and learn from here. This is destined to become your very best model and I truly envy your skills.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
Superb skills. Once again I see that my sklills will not be enough to start something like this. But it is great to watch you to do this.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »
Wow Stephen, the detailing on that wing is masterclass.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2018, 12:15:54 AM »
    "Please do not let anyone ever tell you that scratch building a pusher is a) difficult, b) complicated, c) needs expensive tools and jigs: I am demonstrating that they do not."

Stephen,
    Perhaps I'd agree with your statement if your tremendous model building talents were not so apparent here in this Build! This is just superb modelling and impressive beyond mere words. You make it look easy, and the results are spectacular. Keep bringing us this wonderful work, so much to enjoy and learn from here. This is destined to become your very best model and I truly envy your skills.
Cheers,
Lance

I have to agree with Lance on this one! Your skills are indeed Tremendous!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
After the Browser do not complain anymore about the certificate visiting this board I'm able to comment on your GREAT SHOW again here. Stephen, I'm in love with your work, that scratched plane. The stitching with real metal on the fuselage and the wings are so nice!
I know, such work is pure fun and I hope you have a lot of fun with further work on this aircraft!
Thank you for your detailed description and pictures - that is really a big amount of work.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Lance, Manni and Rick for the comment on my modelling skills. "Oh to see ourselves as others see us" as the poet wrote, (I cannot remember which one - I think that it was Burns but I am afraid that being generally illiterate I cannot be certain: perhaps someone could tell us?) It is most generous of you to make such comments which, coming from modellers whose skills I greatly admire, I very much appreciate.

Thanks too Juan and Frank - I try to provide as much information as I can in order that others may be encouraged to try to follow my example, or may just be interested in a particular technique or idea. It is what these forums are for in my opinion.

The saga continues.... watching paint dry is not the most exciting aspect of modelling but a necessary one. Especially when, as I do, a modeller uses acryllic paint and a hairy stick, and builds up several layers of very thin paint to try to get a perfectly smooth finish. 13 - 15 coats in this case on the wings. I took the precaution of masking the fuselage nacelle in a plastic bage to prevent any accidental brush strokes going astray. That was followed on the lower wing by the markings which in this case consist of a large white square, (which on the original aircraft covered an earlier Union Jack flag marking), and then a roundel which I had printed myself.

Holes were drilled in the lower wing for struts and rigging. I have not drilled the holes for these features in the upper wing yet as I want to make absolutely certain that I get them in the right place first time. I intend to use white glue to hold the wing struts in place and then mark the locations for the holes in the top wing later when I have made the struts. The next step was to solder a length of brass rod to the rear spar to represent the boom which supports the tail. 4 ribs were slotted on to the spars first - these were pushed close to the nacelle so that they would not melt during soldering operations: they were pushed into place and CA'd afterwards. I anticipated that the soldering would be difficult because I had to get two orientations exactly right:

the angle of the boom to the thrust line: it has to rise from the rear spar towards the tail;

the angle in relation to the fore-aft line as the booms converge on to the rudder post.

This was made relatively easy by inserting the boom into the rear of the starboard wing and resting it on a block of wood behing the wing and fuselage sub-assembly. I cut a piece of rod to the exact length of the port (left) boom and supported the front end against the back of the rear spar while resting the rear of the boom on the wood making sure that it touched the end of the opposite boom. This assembly was sitting above the scale plan so that I had an additional aid to get the alignment correct. Application of heat and solder followed and when it had cooled I found that the boom was just 0.5mm to far towards the wing tip! I can live with that....so after I had cleaned up the soldered joint with a file I added the remaining spars to the wing and CA'd them into place. I had to re-mask the fuselage nacelle and the starboard (right) wing with a plastic bag because I had to prime the brass bar of the wing spars and rod of the boom strut and I did not want to spray the wing and nacelle at the same time! I also added the strengtheners at each end of the trailing edge of the wing inboard of the aileron.

Priming followed and then I removed the rear of the spars where the aileron will be and set these on one side as I will make both ailerons later. The wing leading edge bar was made from 40 thou plastic rod and the riblets from 10 x 20 thou strip as per the test piece described earlier.

Painting followed with Revell Ocker (88) which had been watered approx 50:50. One coat was just right. Black was used for the reinforcement rods as these were metal on the original aircraft. To complete this stage of construction (but not the whole wing structure - that will come later), I added the rigging. The black line on the right of the second image is the frame of the nacelle.

And now I can do all of this again on the top wing....

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:22:00 AM by lone modeller »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
  Stephen,
Wow she's coming along beautifully my old friend. Oh and by the way you're as good as others say. Keep up the high excellence!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
I think this is your most spectacular build to date. You are pushing the envelope of excellence you have set with your previous builds! Super Work!!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
I think this is your most spectacular build to date. You are pushing the envelope of excellence you have set with your previous builds! Super Work!!!
RAGIII

I agree with Rick in every aspect.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2018, 12:53:54 AM »
Stephen you are a plastic surgeon, well done on the wing work.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2018, 04:00:23 AM »
Spectacular and inspirational work, Stephen!  I can't even begin to imagine taking on such a complex project.  You are a true master, my friend!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence