Author Topic: Pfalz D.IIIa - von der Marwitz (1/32, Wingnut Wings)  (Read 9533 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Pfalz D.IIIa - von der Marwitz (1/32, Wingnut Wings)
« on: June 02, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »
Some days ago I started this build. It will be my second Pfalz D.IIIa, the first one built 7 years ago was my first WNW kit. That is why I chose this one as my prize in the WNW monthly contest - seems I picked up one of the latest available copies. And this one will be the 21st WNW kit!

I plan to mask the orange-black Jasta 30 rhombs.

I am also interested in your opinions on the wings and stabilizer undersides - Osprey suggests silbergrau - but can we exclude losenge? Or the burgundy-wine colour extended to the wings undersides? Any input to this topic is warmly welcome.

I have started with Mercedes D.III engine, it will be fitted with all available Taurus resin bits.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:03:17 AM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Pfalz D.IIIa - von der Marwitz (1/32, Wingnut Wings)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
Excellent start as always. Looking forward to your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:14:31 AM »
In Bruno Schmäling & Winfried Bock's Jasta 30 book, it's shown with Silbergrau on the wing undersides. The stabilizer is wine red on both surfaces; Jasta practice was to have the diamonds on both upper and lower surfaces. In the top view, there is no diamond on the upper wing, but I couldn't resist adding it on my model (still unfinished). There's also a profile of von der Marwitz's D.IIIa in Feb/March with the wings still Silbergrau overall, and still having Eiserne Kreuze. All other colors are as in the later version. There is no top view of this scheme. On both profiles, the red on the tail shows a straight vertical line, including the rudder balance, which seems to have been common in Jasta 30. So far, I had left my rudder white overall, but have debated adding the red segment at the top. Since there is still only the one photo known, which does not show the tail. it could be either way. As for struts, I went with red for cabane and interplane struts. However, in the photo, I think the forward undercarriage strut looks lighter, went with the blue on those. That also matches his colors on his other Wine Red machines, as shown in the book profiles (Alb D.V, Pfalz D.XII, Fokker D.VII). Those others had blue on the wing struts, but on the Pfalz they look as dark as the wings in the photo. Since they are in shadow, it would be possible that they're blue, also.

I'll be interested in your version of Wine Red. I used a Tamiya spray color called Dull Red, TS-33, and I'm very pleased with it.

What ever colors you decide on, it's sure to be another masterpiece! Looking forward to following this build log.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:58:05 AM by Petie2nd »

Offline krow113

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »
Good stuff!
I'll be watching the engine work.

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:40:06 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your kind words.
And special thanks to Petie for the extensive resume of your research on this lovely colourful machine. I will take the liberty to shamelessly use your findings and copy your approach. Very much appreciated!!!
I have already chosen my burgundy colour - from Vallejo colours line, will give the details later.

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 01:05:57 AM »
Hi Przemo,

If I was as enthusiastic about building as I am about research, this and several other projects would be finished by now! Here's a link to my post on the Pfalz D.IIIa (please ignore the date, it's embarrassing!). https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6353.0 I hope the photos appear; they're in Photobucket, and without much progress to show on anything, I haven't changed to another provider. I have linked old posts on another forum, where I can see the photos, but others say they aren't there for them. Let me know if you don't see them; if you want, I could email some to you. There are rumors that it hasn't worked so well for PB, and they are changing their policy back (new management).

Rich (AKA Pete)

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 01:23:58 AM »
Hi Przemo,

If I was as enthusiastic about building as I am about research, this and several other projects would be finished by now! Here's a link to my post on the Pfalz D.IIIa (please ignore the date, it's embarrassing!). https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6353.0 I hope the photos appear; they're in Photobucket, and without much progress to show on anything, I haven't changed to another provider. I have linked old posts on another forum, where I can see the photos, but others say they aren't there for them. Let me know if you don't see them; if you want, I could email some to you. There are rumors that it hasn't worked so well for PB, and they are changing their policy back (new management).

Rich (AKA Pete)

Well, try to share your time between research and modelling more fairly  ;)

You have done a great effort on your Pfalz! I do expect that you will complete it soon. The photos do show without any problems. Nice to see them.

BTW, I was looking for the Schmalling book on Jasta 30. It seems that all European sources have it delivered from USA for the outraging amount of money - twice the price of the book itself. Or maybe someone has a hint, where to buy it for a decent price in Europe.

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
A couple more notes on the kit. As mentioned by Monty, the forward fuselage can have a small gap ahead of the cockpit. I fit the basic interior together, without paint, and found that it did have a gap around the engine bulkhead/firewall. Monty solved it by deepening the grooves in the fuselage, and others have used other methods. I found that the bulkhead itself fit well, so cut the forward rib from the side frames, deleting the connecting stringers. I glued the forward rib to the bulkhead, test fitting before it set. This also allowed me to assemble the cockpit and engine separately. Those short stringer sections won't show anyway. On another forum, a person that didn't even have the kit claimed I must have made a mistake, because WNW don't have fit problems! I simply pointed him to a few builds on here, where others (better modelers than I) had the same issue - at least one after painting the fuselage.

Also, Ray Rimell, on his build, simulated the tape joining the fuselage halves with leftover rib tape decals, and I copied that as well.

Rich

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
Thank you, Rich, for your detailed description of the fit issues. Actually, I have already built one WNW D.IIIa but it was 7 years ago, I have already forgotten but now, when you mentioned it, I recollect those issues. I will soon get to this point and will have to cope with it somehow.

As for the burgundy colour I chose Vallejo 70.946 Rojo Oscuro.

In the meantime, the work on Mercedes goes on

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:03:57 AM by PrzemoL »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:29:39 AM »
The Mercedes is looking terrific Przemo! AI love the valve springs, lifters and plugs!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
The engine looks fantastic - as always in your work. I look forward to seeing that Vallejo red too as I have an early DFW which I want to deliver in a burgundy scheme.

May I ask what wire you use for the leads?

Thanks,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
Wow!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Jacek

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »
As always, you took care of the smallest detail.
Regards.
Jacek

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »
Very nice start

Steve

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 02:15:38 AM »
May I ask what wire you use for the leads?

Thanks,
Alistair

The cables are made from greenish-hued fishing line I used to use for rigging until I found a more blackish one.

And some progress on the Pfalz innards.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:05:10 AM by PrzemoL »