Author Topic: Tanks  (Read 8196 times)

Offline Mutter1

Tanks
« on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:14 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been enjoying the builds of both my Bristol F.2b and FE.2b aircraft. And also enjoying all the other builds by you folks on this site. What I am wondering though....does anyone else build armour? This is where I came from to start. I build a lot of WW2 and modern Canadian vehicles. I have a Takom MK.V tank in the works.

Offline Borsos

Re: Tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 03:11:20 AM »
Everything that moves in the air or on the ground between 1914 and 1918. I built a Char Schneider (http://kitchecker.com/modelle_3/schneider_ca1_andreas_borsos.htm) and a Ft-17(https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9481.0), I have a Takom Mark I in the making and several other Marks, Whippets or St. Chamonds in the stash. I love building tanks between airplane projects, especially weathering them...
From time to time a dio is nice as well (https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8936.0)
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 03:14:30 AM »
   Two of our Forum Members from Ontario (and very close friends) are Armour Builders, and very good ones as well) Trackpad (Gary) and Chris Johnson are Guys you may have unknowingly crossed paths with at a show or two. They hail from Petawawa and Newcastle. I see a lot of beauty in the Armour subjects, especially the weathering effects Guys produce, but I've really never had a desire to build any. You should post your Tank Build in the category for it here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 03:19:47 AM »
Borsos,
     I posted my previous as you were replying; I had not seen your Dio before, that is a magnificent job!
Cheers,
Lance

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »
this is one of my favorites, although it is very much not restrickted to ww1 or even armour.
but they do/did some very nice armour including several ww1 kits.
you need to go through the website to find them, but they mostly kits in 3 parts, inbox, build and finishing, very helpfull and informative.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/12/witness-final-wash-up-as-andy-whips-up.html

Offline NigelR

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
I've just finished a Meng Mk V female tank, a really good and straightforward build. Will be posting some pics of this soon. I mainly build aircraft and figures but had the Mark V and also a St Chamond and Schneider in the pile. The Mark V was my first tank model  for many, many years and it was fun to do.

I plan to place the Mark V in a small diorama inspired by the attached picture.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »
I have built the Meng Renault FT-17, Whippet and Mk V with full interior. Of the three I enjoyed the FT-17 and Mk V the most. All are good kits with few fit issues. The Mk V came together surprisingly well considering the complex nature of the assemblies. I glued small tabs to help hold the sponsons in place to keep them removable to show the interior. I recommend these kits highly.

In progress FT-17

https://modelsinscale.wordpress.com/2017/09/11/99-and-44100-done/
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:26:06 AM »
Those are both beautiful builds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eclarson

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 01:05:48 AM »
Does artillery count? :)  This is the little 1/35 Special Armour 7.5cm Mountain Cannon, a fun and different build I did last year.  The base is made from an AMMO Mig pre-fab mat.

Eric

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
I did the Takom Tadpole a couple of years ago. It was a fun build, made in just 3 days. May be it will get a scene around it.

Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
Does artillery count? :)  This is the little 1/35 Special Armour 7.5cm Mountain Cannon, a fun and different build I did last year.  The base is made from an AMMO Mig pre-fab mat.

Eric

Nicely done Artillery piece Eric! The painting is gorgeous and the mat really sets things off.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
I did the Takom Tadpole a couple of years ago. It was a fun build, made in just 3 days. May be it will get a scene around it.

Bye,
Manni

Nicely done Tadpole Manni! I Love the dirt and debris! I have had the OLD Emhar kit in the closet for years and will probably never build the kit  ::)
RAGIII

Offline NigelR

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
Nice work Eric and Manni. Here's my most recent model (as mentioned above), a Meng Mark V Female representing 9260 that was in France from August to September 1918. Sadly she was hit and burnt out in the battle of the Drocourt Quent Switch Line on 2nd September 1918.

The Meng kit is great, easy to assemble, although the decals are pretty poor, the "A6" being too big and the "9260" in a modern font. I couldn't be bothered to replace them though. This was a first for me in several ways, as it's the first tank I have made since I used to build Tamiya kits as a kid 45 years ago. It's also the first kit I used an airbrush on, as I have decided I have to use an airbrush for 1/32 WNW kits. I've been brush painting figures and 1/72 aircraft for 50 years, so it's quite a jump.....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:23:23 AM by NigelR »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Some wonderful armour on show here gentlemen, many thanks for sharing your builds with us.

My contribution is the Tamiya Mk IV Male tank recently finished with crew members courtesy of Stalingrad figures.

The Tamiya kit includes a working motor and moving tracks. I prefer a static display. The base is a photo frame sourced from a thrift shop.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline NigelR

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
Nice work Dave. I have the full Stalingrad set and plan to use them (with some other figures) in a small dio with the Mark V Female (at some point in the future....).