Author Topic: WNW - New Kit Coming?  (Read 35402 times)

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
Re: WNW - New Kit Coming?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 02:07:20 AM »
JeffK wrote: "and the controversy over which are authentic can reach a pc-10 like fever pitch..."

Truth!  Some would be "redder" than others.  I guess one key would be to check for streaked olive canvas under the "red".

All kidding aside, I do hope that WNW does decide to give the Dr.I the WNW treatment, sooner rather than later.
Honor Necessity

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Reading this I remember the discussions about all the relic parts of the holy cross in the Middle Ages. There were so many splinters of the "true cross" around, that some people were kidding that it was possible to built Noahs ark out of them not just a cross...
Borsos

I'm sorry, I don't want to derail this, but now you've all got me curious.  What is the deal with Richthofen death  plane relics? It's a subject I'm pretty thoroughly ignorant about. 

Are all or most of these things accounted for? I know his plane was besieged by souvenir hunters, but is there some giant amount of bogus MvR fabric & etc going around? (And no, I won't be the slightest surprised if the answer is yes there is.) 

If you google "Richthofen fabric" there certainly do seem to be quite a few examples on past auctions, including many claiming to be from his death plane and with apparent provenance.  What really did happen to all this stuff?

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 09:12:52 AM »
Hi Wodehouse

Von Richthofen's Fokker DR.1 was shredded by souvenir hunters and as he was brought down by Australian troops ( that'll get everyone going now :) ) many items were retrieved by Aussies and brought home after the war. A number of them are on display at the Australian War Memorial in  Canberra, and others are disbursed around the world in various museums and private collections.

I'm not sure how many pieces of MVR fabric have been authenticated but the figure of 300 would not be unrealistic. Like all war memorabilia though there is a big market in fakes.

Oddly, the two machine guns from Von Richthofen's DR1 have disappeared I believe. There are photos of the guns being examined and images of the shredded DR1 so it's unusual the guns are not officially accounted for. If someone does know their current home I'd love to know.

None of this feeds the thread of Wingnut's new product announcement around April 21 but I would say don't get too hung up on the date guys- April 21 is the date of the scale model expo in Wellington. The model show people chose the date, not Wingnuts.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Dekenba

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
The Red Baron's aeroplane relics is like an old Blackadder episode, where Blackadder comes back from the Middle East with a relic - a bone from one of Jesus's fingers, purchased at a high price.

Baldrick then laughs at him, telling him it's a fake. Blackadder demands to know why he's so confident - Baldick then shows him a small wooden box with 10 fingers, proclaiming that they always come in sets of 10.

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »

Year         Released          Out of Stock
2009             4                         2
2010            10                        9
2011             5                         0
2012             9                         8
2013             8                         1
2014            10                        1
2015             5                         0
2016             0                         0
2017            10                        1

Rich

That's a useful chart, thanks Rich.

It is interesting how people can see the same data and interpret it differently. As i look at the hole in 2016 and mentally push the six Camel boxing's at it, due to that being WNW intended release. Now of course they didn't make it but if you look at the numbers as intended release it is

2015   5
2016   6
2017   4

My thoughts were along the lines of that now they are well established they will be putting out a varied range every year. A couple of new kits and a couple of re releases w/ new decals. Enough to ensure revenue keeps rolling in. Profit from the paid off tools funding the bulk of new tool development.
PJ may be the cash float but his business acumen is second to none.

Marcus

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
thanks for the table, Rich.

as Marcus says, we may all see very different things in this data. this data's ultimately tea leaves as we have very little knowledge of the whys, so it's a bit speculative.

i'd speculate that 2016 wasn't going well at all for them, and that impacted the intended date of the Camel release. i'd also speculate that things are picking up for them since they opened up distribution channels. we gnash our teeth and tear out our hair (i shave my head to prevent this) every time a kit sells out, but it's good news for them. to my eye that would accelerate the release schedule.

This also being the centenary of 1918, that being a rather important year, this too would accelerate the release schedule. so i'm cautiously optimistic that they have a big year planned for us. (that said, i'm in the camp of hoping they release stuff that's not already available in 1/32).

as to what they will release, multiple sources have confirmed that it's pretty much down to Sir Peter's whim. and that if WNW has ever made a profit it's very recent. that said, regardless of your pile of money you wouldn't want to just burn money needlessly, thus the repair of distribution. while i expect they planned to release the Camel for a long time, this does look designed to be a money maker. so it wouldn't shock me to see something super-popular like a dreidecker, even though i'd rather see a LOT of other things (DH.4, Bristol Scout, Martinsyde Elephant, Gotha/Comic duelist, even the butt-ugly DH.5...)

speculating on what the next release will actually be, and setting my wish list aside, i'd bet a) it's not figures or 'deluxe editions', b) hasn't been a brit 2-seater lately, so probably a DH.4 or BE.2, c) my hedge bet would be a 'trilogy,' probably Richtofen-related Albatri (though i'd rather have a Black Flight).

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2018, 11:46:51 PM »
A Black Flight trilogy would impart some spin to the game, as would a DVII trilogy, or even a Pfalz DIIIa trilogy. A Dr I/Re 8 duelist might get some juices flowing as well. I'd like to see, at some point, a Brit bomber to match the two German bombers. Keep in mind that WNW is the only IM company to venture into the 1920s with model kits. So, it is a possibility that some very late war planes could be released.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 12:00:08 AM »
A Black Flight trilogy would impart some spin to the game, as would a DVII trilogy, or even a Pfalz DIIIa trilogy. A Dr I/Re 8 duelist might get some juices flowing as well. I'd like to see, at some point, a Brit bomber to match the two German bombers. Keep in mind that WNW is the only IM company to venture into the 1920s with model kits. So, it is a possibility that some very late war planes could be released.
Like a Sopwith Cuckoo with folding wings, HP100/400/1500, Vimy, BlackBurn Kangaroo?

Much as I would love some of those the Friedrichshafen should be on the list to complete the 3 German Bombers. Oh and a Comc Camel...

If I say that last one enough perhaps it will come out.
Ray

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 02:06:54 AM »
While I can agree that "technically", the Camels (and who here predicted SIX boxings?), could be counted as 2016 releases, it was going to be very late '16, at best. Still, there were 10 releases within a calendar year, which seemed like manna from heaven after the year-plus drought. For myself, I'm glad that they at least waited until the distribution mess was worked out. It didn't hurt that I had tax money to spend, or Amazon gift cards from the kids (an extra $50 is always helpful). Two of the US vendors sell on Amazon.

My point still stands - for whatever reason, it seems like the release schedule has picked up, and some who may not recall the earlier years may think this is a new thing. In past years (pre-2016), they've released 10 (twice), 9, and 8 in a calendar year, so we can hope this is a return to their previous plan. Also, Camels aside, what a year! (At least judging by the response online.) The Stahltaube & Dolphin were inspired choices. At first, I hesitated on the Dolphin, having always thought it odd & ugly. But, seeing several builds on here, and taking a fresh look at its pugnacious appearance (and reading "The Bandy Papers"), it grew on me, and I had to have one. As for the 2 re-boxings, the Albatros "Green Tail" trilogy was the fastest kit ever to sell out, and the first repop of the Fokker D.VII is apparently almost sold out as well. The trilogy may have been a smaller run, being large and expensive, but sure seems to have sold briskly anyway. Missed in all of this is that on their own site, WNW has started selling more engine and other parts sprues, including all of the particular D.VII versions, as well as several of the kit decal sheets.

Let's hope this is a return to the old release schedule, and we'll see many more inspired choices. The Junkers D.I doesn't interest me at this time (but as with the Dolphin, never say never), but is important, and has its fans on this Forum. I have the old FMP poster of MvR and all of his aircraft framed on the wall behind me, as well as all of Peter Kilduff's books on the man, a signed copy of 1969's "Who Killed the Red Baron?", and several other related books on my shelves. Still, I'm not as excited as some by the speculation that the April 21 announcement will be a Dr.I. If it is, I'm sure I'll get one or more, but I'd like to see some more inspired surprises.

Rich

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 02:52:42 AM »
   A great summary Rich, and no matter how you look at it, nothing to complain about! In 2009 I was thinking seriously of switching to 1:32 Scale from 1:48, but a little hesitant given that there weren't many 1:32 subjects available. Wingnut Wing's initial "foursome" lured me into the larger scale but I still wondered about the long term. Now, only 9 years later there have been a total of 62 Kits issued by this one company, we still have the Special Hobbies, Hobby Crafts and very good Roden Kits available and  Copper State is venturing into the scale. I keep reading of big Stashes and mine is worrisome but comforting as well AND who could build this many Kits anyways, the choices are incredible by 10 years ago standards. I always enjoy Gary Barling's (Our Trackpad) pronouncements regarding the number of Kits stashed vs. the life expectation of the average Builder and the resulting 'Delta". In my case it's a defiance of logic at best, someone's going to get a lot of nice models to build when my day inevitably arrives. When I was younger the greatest logic of all was "he who has the most toys when he dies wins!"
  It's not just the larger scale that's pretty well stocked; there's been a number of really classy releases in 1:48 Scale and "Braille Scale" has always had by far the greatest selection. I'd say we have nothing to complain about and we've never had it so good! :) :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aliluke

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
I'm still betting on the Handley Page. But I bet on that before the Junkers...Anyway I'll go to the Expo and see.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »
I'm still betting on the Handley Page. But I bet on that before the Junkers...Anyway I'll go to the Expo and see.

Cheers
Alistair

I'll see you a Paralyzer and raise you an Ilya Mouromets!

Nah seriously the HP is WAY more likely than the Mouromets. What an epic kit that will be if you're right.

And gents... if the wife complains about the size of your Paralyzer and won't accept "i'll fold the wings, dear" for an answer, time for a new wife....

Offline Berman

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 02:24:35 AM »
It is going to be the 1918 Demonge/Buscaylet. Only joking. This experimental plane has to be the strangest aircraft built during WWI. Torpedo shaped  with propeller revolving through aft fuselage. Cruciform tail surfaces plus a forward canard mounted on a boom to tilt upper hinged wing. Photos of the framework and finished craft can be seen on Aerodrome forum under the heading "Unidentified French or Belgian bomber".
I tried in vain to find a three view drawing or even dimensions. If anyone has information on this aircraft please send me a PM or email.

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2018, 07:05:39 AM »
Hi Wodehouse

Von Richthofen's Fokker DR.1 was shredded by souvenir hunters and as he was brought down by Australian troops ( that'll get everyone going now :) ) many items were retrieved by Aussies and brought home after the war. A number of them are on display at the Australian War Memorial in  Canberra, and others are disbursed around the world in various museums and private collections.

I'm not sure how many pieces of MVR fabric have been authenticated but the figure of 300 would not be unrealistic. Like all war memorabilia though there is a big market in fakes.

Oddly, the two machine guns from Von Richthofen's DR1 have disappeared I believe. There are photos of the guns being examined and images of the shredded DR1 so it's unusual the guns are not officially accounted for. If someone does know their current home I'd love to know.

None of this feeds the thread of Wingnut's new product announcement around April 21 but I would say don't get too hung up on the date guys- April 21 is the date of the scale model expo in Wellington. The model show people chose the date, not Wingnuts.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. 

Dekenba

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »

I think an RE.8 duellists boxing with the new type would sell like hot cakes. Or a Sopwith Tripe duellists boxing.

I've recently sold a WNW RE.8 & a WNW Tripe for £200 each, so I'm kinda hoping they are re-released at some point.

I've got a couple of Roden's Tripes, with Brian Fawcetts corrected, lengthened fuselage, so I'm happy enough with that.

I used my WNW Tripe £200 money to buy a 1/32 Hobbyboss P-61B, both 1/32 Roden Fokker Triplane boxing's, a new Revell 1/32 P-51D Mustang, a new Revell 1/32 Fw190A-8 Nightfighter and a new Special Hobby Fokker D.II, all on EBay at too-good-to-turn-down prices.

So I may be WNW Tripe-less, but I've got an awful lot of good plastic to counter my loss.

The RE.8 £200 is being saved for HK's 1/32 Lancaster, due to arrive this summer. Not WWI, but being British, it's a legal requirement that I order one.