Author Topic: Albatros D.I Resources: Know of any?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline GazzaS

Albatros D.I Resources: Know of any?
« on: March 25, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »
Hi Everyone,
   I just bought the Roden D.I and there don't seem to be a lot of photos out there on the interweb that are easy to find other than Buckner, Hohne, Carl von Preussen, and some unmarked machines.  Could use more.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Albatros D.I Resources: Know of any?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »
Welcome to (comparatively) early aero modelling. At around 50 aeroplanes in 1916 and 1917 you are going to be lucky to find much information

Sometimes it's worth remembering the Wright brother first flew only thirteen years earlier. So aeroplanes were still new, novel and not necessarily appreciated. 'Aces' were only just being created

Interesting aeroplane. Aerodynamic fuselage profile, ailerons, external radiators, translucent linen covered wings, unusual propeller shape, mystery colour scheme...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
Richard,
    Thank you!  That is an interesting photo.  I wonder if that one is even armed?  Or are the guns buried beneath the cowl like the Austrian machines?  Other interesting stuff here:  Upturned over-the-wing exhaust.  Knots in the fuselage plywood.

Prototype?

Gaz

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »
There is a Windsock Data File that covers the DI-DII also repeated in a Data File Special on the DI -DVa. I don't remember the numbers but will check.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
There is a Windsock Data File that covers the DI-DII also repeated in a Data File Special on the DI -DVa. I don't remember the numbers but will check.
RAGIII
It's no. 100, the datafile on the Albatros D. I/II. The cover alone is worth the purchase. My copy lost its binding long time ago because I studied it that much.
Best regards
Andreas

P. S. I started building 1:32 kits with that very kit and I really enjoyed it. Here's the link to the build log:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7155.msg131778#msg131778
Sorry, the later stages of the build are still corrupted by the Photobucket desaster, I remember now that I wanted to fix that long time ago...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:58:17 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline AROTH

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
Welcome to (comparatively) early aero modelling. At around 50 aeroplanes in 1916 and 1917 you are going to be lucky to find much information

Sometimes it's worth remembering the Wright brother first flew only thirteen years earlier. So aeroplanes were still new, novel and not necessarily appreciated. 'Aces' were only just being created

Interesting aeroplane. Aerodynamic fuselage profile, ailerons, external radiators, translucent linen covered wings, unusual propeller shape, mystery colour scheme...

Richard

I may be wrong here, but I thought I saw somewhere in the past that this machine was the prototype, therefore no guns installed yet. Also, notice the elevator has a completely straight hinge line.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
Borsos,
   just read your build log!  What a splendid job!  Thank you for sharing!  I will definitely refer to your build when I do mine.

Guys,
   Back when I was younger I had some Windsock Data files...  But I can't remember which ones.  Thank you for the recommendation.

Gaz

Offline Berman

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 01:13:56 AM »
Borsos,
          Could you please replace the photos in your build log that have been eliminated by Photobucket. Thanks.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
Borsos,
          Could you please replace the photos in your build log that have been eliminated by Photobucket. Thanks.

Thank you for your interest, I'll do my best as soon as possible!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.