Author Topic: PE Rib Tapes  (Read 2125 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
PE Rib Tapes
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »
 Afternoon All,
I've a dumb question for you. Does anyone make PE Rip Tapes in 1/32 scale. I'm looking to add detail to my Roden wings. Thanks in advance and I appreciate your help.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: PE Rib Tapes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
I seriously doubt it, they would be much too thick

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »
Well there's P.E. stitching so rib tapes would be possible but I don't think they've been done. Maybe Archer would do something like their weld strips if you suggested it.

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
Richard from Aviattic sent me a sheet of PE rib tapes he was experimenting with; I tried them on my Fokker D.III wings and they worked well (but were tricky to handle and apply) But I don't think these ever saw the light of day.

Offline krow113

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
...sounds problematic...

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
maybe these can help you, they are ribtapes and in 1/32 scale. they have others too I thought
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88044.html

HGW also has on option, but they are only in 1/48 ( and 1/72) but might be worth looking at?

http://hgwmodels.cz/en/24-148-scale

Offline ondra

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
Hi Gregory,

just one thought - may be you could use the same method for ribs as I use on my scratchbuilds - masking the space between ribs and afterwards a few layers of surfacer.

If you can give me the drawing, cutting the masks and sending them to you would be no problem.

Cheers

Ondra

Aviattic

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »
Gregory, email me (note new address) [email protected]

I have indeed trialled both P/E and printed stitching decals - improving on HGW's raised printed versions with more scale representations but my insistence on exactness led to them abandoning the project, then I hear that another Eastern European manufacturer is working on something similar...surprise, surprise.
These were developed to give some finesse to the otherwise good Roden kits and the trial sheets I have of the printed versions, though not the finished article, do give the impression of tapes and stitching though overpainting and /or linen decal application lessen the effect - which is why the "exaggerated" p/e versions could work better..

They have been used here before - a Roden SSW DIII build a few years ago illustrated them and a recent DR.I build by James Hatch, featured in a magazine was s poorly photographed the effect wasn't even visible. I got zilch feedback and lost heart in the project. Anyone wishing to try them - for a minimal cost - email me.

best wishes, Richard

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:39:05 AM »
Thanks Hiddeous the actual item is even better than suggesting it!!! Not sure why I missed them.

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 02:36:03 AM »
 Thank you for the information guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like several good choices to work with.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 03:36:02 AM »
And Gregory, if you're still in need of them, I recently read somewhere in the forum (can't remember the thread) that the HGW 1/48 rib tapes were closer to scale than the somewhat over-sized 1/32 tapes that they no longer carry. I was going to try them myself. 
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde