Author Topic: Copper State Models 1/35 Lanchester Armored Car  (Read 6797 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Copper State Models 1/35 Lanchester Armored Car
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:18:43 PM »
I'm new to this armor business, so please, try to keep the giggles and guffaws to a minimum.  This is the very first land vehicle of any kind that I've ever built, so this was a learning experience for me.  Thankfully, this wonderful CSM kit was the easiest kit I've ever had the joy to bugger my way through.  It was so much fun, I want to build another.

I'm not really sure if this is finished or not.  May add some more weathering.  May add some figures and a base.  We'll see...

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rayb24

Re: Copper State Models 1/35 Lanchester Armored Car
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »
It looks pretty neat

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
hey Bud! it seems to me very well done.
If I may add a suggestion, the riveting highliting is a little overdone in my opinion. a little more weathering should better blend it all toghether.
try to add some straks of grease or rust from the rivets (not all of them!) or add some chipping.
to simulate grease i use oils (black, raw umer and even a little dark blue), to simulate rust let a steel wool rest in a cup of vinegar until it melts and then use it to paint straks or rusty spots around or in chipped paint.
to simulate chipping i use the sponge technique and silver+black guache
let us know how it progresses!
good luck
ciao
edo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:02:42 AM »
Hmmm. I like the "just driven onto the field look" I wouldn't go too much further. Unless you're going to really batter the fenders etc (and that would have been done before paint) I think its finished. It ties in with the way you finish your aircraft.

Steve

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »
Beauty Bud, looks the part, congrats.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:25:10 AM »
Excellent work Amigo!  Hard to believe this is your first vehicle! When you do another bang up the fenders and throw some serious mud on the thing ..... or not as you prefer  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:31 AM »
Nicely done Bud! You'd never know it's your first.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:06:57 AM »
    Very nice first "Landmobile" project Bud! Don't get too serious with this armor stuff, we all enjoy your aircraft too much! ;)
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:27:40 PM by lcarroll »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 05:04:41 AM »
Very nice AFV, Bud, it's nowhere to see that it's your first land based vehicle. Very nice!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline krow113

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
Well done! -  to the point of weathering , I'd say.
Figs and a base will always work in my book.
A couple of guys looking at a map spread out on the hood....

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 06:54:44 AM »
  Bud,
Outstanding Lanchester my old friend. Congratulation and Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline JimF

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
Just a FYI, I did post this to Bud as a PM, but he was Ok with me posting it here.

Bud's build is excellent, my favorite of the 3 I have seen so far (1 in Meng AFV mag, 2nd in MMI magazine). The riveting might stand out just a bit, but to me, that emphasizes that whole WWI armoured vehicle look.

One error is there, however. The armour plate in front of the radiator is mounted backwards. The hinge pins on it should be on the outer face.

This was pointed out in Model Military Int'l. magazine, after the editor had done his build of the kit. There are a couple of photos in the article that confirm this.

As for bashing and heavier weathering, I think that would be more appropriate if one is depicting a car damaged in battle, or one of the ones sent to Russia, where it looks like they were almost abused.

The book 'War Cars' has photos of Lancs and RR ACs in Europe in 1915, 1916 and even one from  1917 that shows the vehicles generally with the same level of appearance as Bud's finish.

Jim F
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:12:02 PM by JimF »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
Excellent model Bud, great detail weathering too. I agree it's a model you want to make again as soon as you finish it, and there's not too many kits out there that get that accolade!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments and advice!  All greatly appreciated.
Just a FYI, I did post this to Bud as a PM, but he was Ok with me posting it here.

Bud's build is excellent, my favorite of the 3 I have seen so far (1 in Meng AFV mag, 2nd in MMI magazine). The riveting might stand out just a bit, but to me, that emphasizes that whole WWI armoured vehicle look.

One error is there, however. The armour plate in front of the radiator is mounted backwards. The hinge pins on it should be on the outer face.

This was pointed out in Model Military Int'l. magazine, after the editor had done his build of the kit. There are a couple of photos in the article that confirm this.

As for bashing and heavier weathering, I think that would be more appropriate if one is depicting a car damaged in battle, or one of the ones sent to Russia, where it looks like they were almost abused.

The book 'War Cars' has photos of Lancs and RR ACs in Europe in 1915, 1916 and even one from  1917 that shows the vehicles generally with the same level of appearance as Bud's finish.

Jim F
I asked Jim if he would re-post his PM to me here so that other modelers would benefit.  As I plan on building at least one more, the tip about the radiator armor is appreciated.

As for additional weathering, I've decided to leave her as is.  Just for sh--s and grins, I entered her in the Silver Wings model show in Sacramento and took 2nd.  Since Armored vehicles, tracked and wheeled, was the largest category, I'm quite satisfied with 2nd place.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »
Congratulations Bud,on both the build and the accolade. That's a terrific result,particularly as it's only your 1st vehicle!
Cheers,
Dave.