Author Topic: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery  (Read 57113 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: "Captured!" WNW Albatros DV in RFC Livery
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
Wow Gary, just when I thought it could not get any better, it does....

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2018, 12:03:55 AM »
Wow Gary, just when I thought it could not get any better, it does....

Thanks very much, Juan. Your comment and all of the others that I've received certainly raise morale and increase motivation. Thanks again!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
Gary, really enjoying your build! the details are absolutely astounding!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »
"You should make a small correction: The two maintenance flaps on the underside must be mounted with the hinge forward towards the propeller."

Hi, Bertl. The correction is done. Thanks again for your quick observation. My mistake for sure, now fixed!  8)

Note also that one of them may need to be relocated forward or backward along the centreline to line up with the oil pump on the bottom of the engine; I can’t remember which engine the kit is correct for (160 or 180 horses)

The kit has both engines. The subject I'm doing has the 160 installed. I think that it's the 180 that has the oil pump installed on the engine bottom. But don't forget: I'm the guy who got the access covers wrong way 'round on the bottom line!  :(   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »
Gary, really enjoying your build! the details are absolutely astounding!

Thanks for visiting, Ian, and for your kind comment. Good to hear from you!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »
That PE work looks great!  Your louvres look so much better than mine.  I've resolved to replace any in the future with two pieces of styrene sheet laid over each other and gently shaped.  All of my PE attempted ones looked like they were chewed by parrots.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »
Thank you Gary for the suggestion, marking the detail before removing is a great idea. Might be a step toward more confidence with sheet metal and PE.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2018, 06:31:53 PM »
As PE and I are definately not friends, I'm really liking this and look forward to trying some of those techniques outlined. That's what I like about build logs in general and this forum particularly; there is so much useful info here! :)

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
Hello, Gazz, Guiseppi and Jeroen,

Thank you all for your very kind remarks and for visiting. I'm glad that my efforts are helping you with your modelling. To be honest, I only consider myself a middle of the road "Comfortably Competent." There are many other Forumites that are much younger and much better at this hobby than I am. I am still learning various ideas and methods (like drilling a small hole to mark the location of PE parts).

Have a great day, and just keep in mind that we are all smarter than pieces of plastic!  ;D   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2018, 08:14:51 AM »
Well, I got a bit more done over the past 24 hours than I expected. Here's where we stand now:

Primed yesterday, got the nose colour on last night (a bit bluer than in the photos, BTW) and then added the base colour for the plywood rear fuselage this afternoon. Things just "clicked into place" all the way through the weekend. So I'll take a small break (until tomorrow) and then start the plywood paneling. I intend to mask various panels and lightly apply a filter here and there, then possibly do some translucent shading among the panels. Then I'll apply a gloss coat (two thin ones, actually) and start the woodgrain decal application. No idea how long (or not) this will take, but you now have an idea of the way ahead for the next little while. So far, so good.  :D

Thanks for visiting, and have a great week, everyone!   8)

Cheers!
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
Looking excellent! I really look forward to seeing the wood grain decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
 Gary,
Absolutely beautiful work my old friend.Looking forward to seeing those wood grain decals too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
Looks great!  Really looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2018, 12:59:19 AM »
Very nice! I started this kit last year in the same markings and as usual I was easily distracted. I may have to dig mine out again. I really like your extra details and I will be watching.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2018, 03:55:11 AM »
Hello, RAG, Greg, Gaz and Fred,

Thanks for visiting and for your kind comments. I'm into toning a few of the "plywood" panels now, and the effects are promising. I'll do a few more and then settle into the woodgrain decaling. I bought a second set of the Uschi van der Rosten wood grain decals and now find that the second set is slightly different in the "graining" than is the first set (bought a few years ago). Both sets have two sheets of different grain patterns. So I am now in possession of four slightly different grain patterns to use on the Albi. Well, maybe not all four, but it's nice to have the option!   8)
Cheers!
Gary