Author Topic: What Airplane was it???  (Read 1965 times)

Online Softscience

What Airplane was it???
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:53:45 AM »
Many many years ago. I had this small pocket sized book that had aircraft profiles of important WW I and WW II types.

I vaguely recall seeing a larger WW I type in there that seemed to be drawn with a horizontally split fuselage - i.e. it had a big sideways V-shaped notch in the back half, or otherwise think of top and bottom tail booms. I suspect it was one of those exotic Austro-Hungarian types, or maybe Russian.

Can anybody help out?

Also, do any of you recall seeing the book I'm describing. I've been trying to track down a copy for years now, but can't remember the title or author (I had this book around 1990, when I was about 12 years old).

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: What Airplane was it???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:00:34 AM »
There were a few with a split fuselage.  The one that stands out the most to me is the SSW R.I.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:06 AM »
I can only think of one and that is the SSW Bud has just mentioned. They built 7 of them (R.1-R.7). Lone Modeller is building one in the Scratch Builds section.
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7950.0
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online Softscience

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 02:54:25 AM »
That's it!

Leave it to Lonemodeler to build something so wonderfully strange :)