Author Topic: NASM Udvar-Hazy Center & Smithsonial Air & Space Museum on the Washington Mall  (Read 2553 times)

Offline BSteinIPMS

In September 2017 my wife and I flew from Minneapolis to Washington D.C. for my first visit to the National Air & Space Museum's Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport. It was the trip of a lifetime and we spent two days at U-H and one day at the Main Museum on the Mall.

One amusing aspect of the visit was when I was viewing the Sopwith Camel just behind two Museum tour guides. They were wondering what the aft-facing little propeller on the right rear cabane strut was. One thought it might be an electrical generator, but there was only one line running down from it. The other thought it was a fuel pump, but again, there was only one line running down from it. I boldly stepped in and said I felt it was a wind-driven air pump, or compressor, which pressurized the fuel tank. They were dubious, but I googled it and showed them I was correct. They wondered how I knew this. "Ha!" I said. I've learned so much from WW1aircraftmodels.com!"

I think they thought I was weird.  ;D

Here's a link to my online Google Photos Album which contains some 418 images.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oZigU8ZYcjuOVAS93

The page will open up as large thumbnails, and if you click on the first one to expand it you’ll see a magic disappearing arrow in the right section of the photo. You can click on this arrow to advance or use the left arrow to go back without having to back out of the photo and return to thumbnails. You should then see captions off to the right, and if not, just click on the circled ‘i’ for ‘info’ at the top right to reveal them. Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:16:10 AM by BSteinIPMS »
Cheers!
--Bob

"Drink up, for the brewery needs the empties." ----Ghostrider 22, 189th Assault Helicopter Company, Pleiku, Vietnam, 1968.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Bob,
    Magnificent! Thanks for this, took me 2 cups of coffee to go through all of these precious photos and it was a real treat! I toured the Museum in 1982, it's come a long way since then and I'd love to go back. As I recall I got there in the early morning when the doors opened and the staff tossed me out at dusk; I couldn't get enough and could have happily spent the entire week there!
   Great Post and Thank you again for your effort.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

Bob,

Thanks for posting.

How goes the work on the Dr I ?

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline AROTH

Excellent photography, Sir. what kind of camera set-up are you using?

I live near Udvar-Hazy and go there quite often.
Love the place.

In September 2017 my wife and I flew from Minneapolis to Washington D.C. for my first visit to the National Air & Space Museum's Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport. It was the trip of a lifetime and we spent two days at U-H and one day at the Main Museum on the Mall.

One amusing aspect of the visit was when I was viewing the Sopwith Camel just behind two Museum tour guides. They were wondering what the aft-facing little propeller on the right rear cabane strut was. One thought it might be an electrical generator, but there was only one line running down from it. The other thought it was a fuel pump, but again, there was only one line running down from it. I boldly stepped in and said I felt it was a wind-driven air pump, or compressor, which pressurized the fuel tank. They were dubious, but I googled it and showed them I was correct. They wondered how I knew this. "Ha!" I said. I've learned so much from WW1aircraftmodels.com!"

I think they thought I was weird.  ;D

Here's a link to my online Google Photos Album which contains some 418 images.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oZigU8ZYcjuOVAS93

The page will open up as large thumbnails, and if you click on the first one to expand it you’ll see a magic disappearing arrow in the right section of the photo. You can click on this arrow to advance or use the left arrow to go back without having to back out of the photo and return to thumbnails. You should then see captions off to the right, and if not, just click on the circled ‘i’ for ‘info’ at the top right to reveal them. Have fun!

Offline BSteinIPMS

Excellent photography, Sir. what kind of camera set-up are you using?

Well, thanks, AROTH! I have a Sony DSC-V1 5mp camera which I do all my model photograpy with. It has a Zeiss lens and while it's only 5mp, it takes beautiful photos.

However, having said that, all the pics at the NASM were shot with my iPhone 5S which has an 8mp camera lens and does a superb job.

All my photographs are run through Microsoft Office Picture Manager for enhancement/cropping/brightness/etc. This usually comes bundled with MS Office, although sometimes you have to unwrap it from the Office installation folder.
Cheers!
--Bob

"Drink up, for the brewery needs the empties." ----Ghostrider 22, 189th Assault Helicopter Company, Pleiku, Vietnam, 1968.

Offline boggie

Thanks for sharing your great photos Bob.  :)

And well done educating the tour guides. I would liked to have seen their puzzled look at your correct response.  ;D