Author Topic: Seemoos, Lindau, Lake Constance, April 1917  (Read 14590 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Seemoos, Lindau, Lake Constance, April 1917
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »
Really looking great! I am eagerly awaiting further updates!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online IanB

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
Great updates, Stephen. This is really looking impressive now, and I'm looking forward to seeing it with the aircraft on!

ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:35 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks Ed, Guiseppe, Frank, Rick and Ian for the very kind remarks which I really appreciate. Frank: I will not be adding water in this display because the lower areas of the base were above the lake level. The launch ramp was quite long - tens of meters judging from the photographs - so if I attempted to include the lake the whole base would be as large as a small room!

I drilled some holes in the base so that the down pipes from the shed gutters could fit into them and the shed was put into place. I did assemble a winding gear from plastic rod and card but forgot to photograph it, and in any even it cannot be seen with the shed in place so it does not matter after all. I made a second set of steps and glued these into place: the set on the launch ramp are visible in photographs, but the second set by the winding shed are my best guess: ground crew had to be able to get to the shed somehow. I also made a cover for the winch cables between the shed and launch ramp - once again this is clearly visible in the photographs and was made from obechi strip and plastic card painted black, and given a dark brown acrylic wash. I have also started to make two rails which are on the edge of the platform between the shed and the left side of the display. Once again this is based on contemporary photographs and my modeller's license as I cannot be certain of the exact details.

[

I have added some darker areas to parts of the sand base to give a variation in colour: natural soils would not have quite such round areas but as these are going to be covered in grass flock they will not be visible. I then dry brushed all of the wood surfaces with a mixture of dark grey and dark brown acrylic washes: I have tried to vary the density to show areas of greater wear and footfall.  A door was added to the shed. Now I could add the grass flock which I mixed from several different packs. I brushed watered down white PVA glue over the sand base and liberally scattered the flock, including areas of neat flock from individual packs to give as varied a background as possible. Once again I deliberately left some areas clear where people would have walked: this too is visible on some of the photos of the original site.

I have now got to put on the rails. I am using 00 guage flexible track for the rails - they are rather brassy but some paint and washes will tone them down. First though I have cut some fishplates (joining pieces) from thin brass strip and will glue these to the sides of the rail at intrevals of three scale meters - again a distance estimated from photographs. The parts look like this before assembly:

More later when I have finished the rails and made some furniture and the carrying frame for the flying boat.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:32 PM »
 Stephen,
Tremendous testament to skills and craftsmanship my old friend. Beautiful wood works. I can't wait to see more!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:01 PM »
The worn grass areas and building are really bringing your base to life. I am really looking forward to seeing the aircraft in place!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 01:59:06 AM »
Very cool, Stephen. You are creating an unique diorama with great skills. I am keen on seeing the plane on this diorama!
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 03:31:29 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks Gregory, Rick and Andreas for your very kind comments. I hope to finish this very soon now Andreas, so hopefully you will not have much longer to wait....

At last the end is in sight: I have been finishing some pieces which have I have been working on and off during the build, and have almost all of the final details completed.

First up is the frame and trolley on which the aircraft was carried on the rails. I looked at as many photos as I could and came to the conclusion that frames were made individually for each aircraft. What I have produced is the best match that I can make to the photographic evidence available. The trolley was made from brass rod soldered together to make a rectangle, axles were from 60 thou plastic rod and the wheels from N guage  Graham Farish accessories. I pushed the wheels off the Farish axles and back on to the longer plastic rod ones.

The main sections were made from I section plastic strip and the large pads at the rear were carved from scrap balsa wood and given a couple of coats of talcum powder and dope filler before being painted. The leather straps were from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip.

The wood in the last photo was visible in the contemporary photos - I used obechi strip to represent these beams. The arms on the sides were to allow ground crew to push the assembly on the turntable.

I made some furniture which again is visible in various photos: this will be distributed over the hangar floor based on photographic evidence and will help to fill what will otherwise be large voids in the display. A couple of boxes, two trestle tables (the tops were made from mixing sticks), and some beams of wood. I have also constructed a box camera which will be present in the display.

The rails have the fish plates added and have been painted and dry brushed with some rust, and are now fixed in place on the base:

All that remains to add now are the pulleys on the ramp, the furniture on the hangar floor, the trolley to the turntable and some figures. Then I can mount the aircraft!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:35:28 AM by lone modeller »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
The rails look great in place. I know I said this before but this one is really coming to life now. I am looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
Very nice work. The dio will look outstanding. The details are great.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 08:27:52 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks Rick and Manni for your kind comments - the wait is now over as I am calling this finished. I still have to add the panel on the side which will have a copy of an original photo of the Rs II on the turntable and information about the aircraft and Seemoos.

The final details included the pulleys on the launch ramp: these were to hold the cable which was used to lower the aircraft down the ramp to the lake and then pull it back again. The ramp was slightly curved at the top end and these pulleys obviously held the cable in the correct position:

I also added a steel cable and pulley wheels on the other side of the turntable - again these are visible in the contemporary photos:

The furniture was placed where I could see it in the photos and four figures placed to give an air of activity. The sailor by the door of the winch shed was based on photos of the time, the two civilians by the shed represent Claudius Dornier, (in the dark grey suit), and chief engineer Durr. These were present when the Rs II was launched and can be seen in contemporary pictures. I added the photographer because someone had to take the pictures! The civilian figures were made by Dart Castings.

The last part to add was the cradle on which the aircraft was transported:

Base complete! All that was needed now was the aircraft: I had drilled a hole in the hull in order that I could mount the model on the spindle of the motor and lower it on to the cradle: the fit was tight but needs to be so that when the motor is switched on the aircraft will turn, which I am pleased to report, it does.

This is a large model and is therefore difficult to photograph, but I will post more photos in the completed models gallery if you are interested.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »
       "but I will post more photos in the completed models gallery if you are interested".
Stephen,
    Gadzooks Sir! Of course more photos, and put a rush on that will you!? Magnificent work, and your best to date, well done and congratulations on a display to be very proud of! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
Yes, More Photos Please! A brilliant display of a Magnificent Model! Extremely well done!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 01:58:01 AM »
Amazing work  :D

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.