Author Topic: Fokker D. II (Special Hobby, 1:32)  (Read 21599 times)

Bughunter

Re: Fokker D. II (Special Hobby, 1:32)
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »
Frank, yes, I painted the face freehand according to the only available b/w pic.
Andreas, I just wondered if you already got the decals of that kit:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1127014-special-hobby-sh32076-fokker-d-ii-gr-nzweig-s-planes

Nice biplane btw!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2018, 05:17:47 PM »
Woah, this looks so good, Andreas.
The complete paintjob is great, but the handpainted face is the cherry on top.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline xan

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
My god! I missed this mount.
beautiful work Borsos congratulations!
original plane , original decoration (how do you know it is a Grasshopper ?) and very well painted
have you a fig to represent the dog?

I would like to know a little bit more about the camouflage.
Is this the first camouflage try ? if I am ,ot wrong , in 1916, most of german plane are linen color , blue white or brown isn't it?

Xan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:52:41 PM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »
Very nice work!!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2018, 01:48:37 AM »
     Great progress Andreas, you've taken this Kit to another dimension. The shading is outstanding and the hand painted decals a spectacular touch! My Kit has arrived and I'm looking forward to it immensely, not sure of the scheme yet but this post will be a much visited place when I start   
     Beautiful work. 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2018, 03:42:10 AM »
That is a stunning piece of modelling - not that we have come to expect anything less from your talented hands. I like very much the grasshopper markings - very original. Overall the finish is just breathtaking.

Stephen.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2018, 02:16:57 AM »
Beautiful!!
By the way: Which colours did you use for the wings' camouflage?

I think Andreas posted he used Revell 46 and 37 for it.

Great looking Fokker, by the way! I love the hand-painted Grasshopper! :)

Offline mgunns

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »
Outstanding all around.  You did a great job with the artwork freehanded on the cowling.  The colors are noteworthy, the shading, it all looks great.  A very unique model of a signficant airplane.
I am tempted to get one. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
Beautiful!!
By the way: Which colours did you use for the wings' camouflage?

I think Andreas posted he used Revell 46 and 37 for it.

Great looking Fokker, by the way! I love the hand-painted Grasshopper! :)

Thank you, Jeroen!

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2018, 03:04:32 AM »
Coming along beautifully!

Offline ermeio

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 06:26:03 AM »
excellent build!
thanks for sharing the pictures

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 10:48:44 PM »
Excellent detail and paint work.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2018, 07:01:14 PM »
Hello friends,
Rick, Richard, Frank, Manni, Xan, Steve, Lance, Stephen, Jeroen, Mark, Ian, Ermeio and Ken. thank you for your nice comments!

Yes Richard, I used Revell Aqua Color 46 Nato Olive for the green and 37 Brick red for the brown. I didn't get better tones from any other manufacturer. These and Revell 87 are the last Revell colors I use, I thin them down with window cleaner and they spray quite well.

My god! I missed this mount.
beautiful work Borsos congratulations!
original plane , original decoration (how do you know it is a Grasshopper ?) and very well painted
have you a fig to represent the dog?

I would like to know a little bit more about the camouflage.
Is this the first camouflage try ? if I am ,ot wrong , in 1916, most of german plane are linen color , blue white or brown isn't it?

Xan

Xan, thanks for your questions. I read somewhere that after Grünzweigs arrival at the Jasta (he was an artist) the Jasta was called "Grashüpferstaffel" (grasshopper squadron). But I cannot remember where I read this at the moment.

Regarding the camouflage: It was long time common sense between modern researchers that until mid 1916 all German aircraft were either delivered in CDL or in a so called "sky camouflage" of white or a very pale blue. Meanwhile we seem to know that camouflage was introduced much earlier and many Fokker Eindeckers were in fact painted field grey.
Anyway, sometimes in mid-1916 (some books say June, others say August) Idflieg ordered to camouflage all airplanes with brown and green colors. The undersides should be painted pale blue. It obviously took a while until this directive was widely realized. There are just a few C types of the first generation like Aviatiks, Rumplers  or Albatros C. I, that I have seen with brown-green camouflage on, but there were in fact many Rolands C II and Albatros C. III, C. V. C. VII, Aviatiks C. II and III or LVG C. IVs camouflaged.
There also exist many photos of first German biplane scouts, the early Fokker D-types and Halberstadt D-types in CDL or sky camouflage, but many were camouflaged as well. Regarding the Fokkers, many D. IIs were just camouflaged on the upper surfaces of the flying surfaces and the fuselage. Later ones got their fuselage sides camouflaged as well. When the first Albatros D fighters arrived, camouflage was widely common and I never saw an Albatros  D. I or D. II with uncamouflaged, CDL wings. In April 1917 Idflieg changed its directive to avoid confusion with Allied camouflage and ordered that the brown was replaced by mauve. That's the story in short. It would be very interesting to read these directives from 1916 and 1917 in its original, but I never did yet. I don't know where they are published or if they are published at all.

Meanwhile I finished rigging on the Fokker and soldered a footstep out of brass (Frank, can you see your influence... ;)). I added a windscreen and worked on the prop, in this case a Garuda. It still needs some coats of clear and its labels...

At last I prepaired a pilot from CSM to stand on the base next to the airplane

The figure is, like all CSM offerings I know, wonderfully sculpted and cast.

Best regards
Borsos

"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »
Beautifully rigged and the rest of the grasshopper turned out great! Lovely prop and figure!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »
Outstanding work as usual Andreas.  Love the aircraft and figure is sublime.