Author Topic: Eduard Nieuport 17 (1:48th)  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Softscience

Eduard Nieuport 17 (1:48th)
« on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
At long last. After 30+ years of modeling, and about half a dozen failed attempts, I have finally successfully built a biplane model!

This is Eduard's Nieuport 17 in 1/48 scale, built straight out of the box. Paints are Tamiya flat aluminum, various Vallejo for the details, and some nameless artist oils on the wood bits.

The clear wing cellules are Micro Crystal Clear PVA.

Rigging is Ezline.

There are plenty of rookie mistakes on here. I admit to having rushed to finish this. I just wanted to finally have a biplane in the collection, and having fun trumped getting things perfect.

I didn't add any turnbuckles, which I guess is kind of a no-no now, but they looked oversized when I tried to do them. I thought .3 mm tube would work, but it looked like the plane was wearing cow bells. :)

I'm also not sure about the blue rigging lines. I got that by reading something related to the WNW salmson, where they said the French lines were blue. They seem to know what they're doing, so why not?

Here are some admittedly mediocre pictures.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Eduard Nieuport 17 (1:48th)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
    That's a very nice piece of work for your first Biplane! Great looking detail for the scale and the silver finish is not a friendly one..... yours appears flawless. Congratulations on a lovely Build and here's to more! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Softscience

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »
    That's a very nice piece of work for your first Biplane! Great looking detail for the scale and the silver finish is not a friendly one..... yours appears flawless. Congratulations on a lovely Build and here's to more! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks, Lance.

I really appreciate your kind comment.
And yes, the silver finish was a nightmare. Natural metal is bad enough on easy planes. All the extra post-paint handling this beastie required was its own special challenge.

To all, please feel free to critique and let me know what I can do to improve my next biplane build. There will be more. I'm hooked!

Offline boggie

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
I agree with Lance.

Very nice Noop.  :)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
my only critique would be..... what took you so long?
It is a great model, I can not finf anything wrong with it. Keep on doing what you did here, looks great!!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:55 PM »
Looks very fine to me: well built and well painted!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
I can't see where you need to improve on your build, you have done a superb job resulting in an excellent model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Softscience

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »
Thank you guys much.

I didn't realize how blurry these pictures were until I looked at them on the big computer screen at work this morning.

I'll try to get a few better ones over the weekend. Maybe my mistakes will show better ;D ;)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 04:21:18 AM »
Perhaps the best advice we can offer to you is to stop being super-critcal of your own work! The prefect model hasn't been made yet and I think it will be a while yet before it is!!

We can all see our mistakes: fortunately others rarely do. Follow Lance's excellent advice and give us more please.

Stephen.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:41 AM »
Perhaps the best advice we can offer to you is to stop being super-critcal of your own work! The prefect model hasn't been made yet and I think it will be a while yet before it is!!

We can all see our mistakes: fortunately others rarely do. Follow Lance's excellent advice and give us more please.

Stephen.

A big DITTO, More Please !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 06:24:59 AM »
Congratulations, beautifully done.  Looking forward to your next project.   :D

Offline Softscience

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »

Stephen.

A big DITTO, More Please !

Ed

Thanks guys.

And rest assured, there will be more. Now that I got over the rigging boogyman, I'm ready to take more stabs at this. I absolutely love the challenge of simulating natural materials (woods, linens, natural rubber, cork, etc.) that this genre of building brings.

I already have an Eduard Spad XIII in the stash, as well as a 1/32 Albatross D.V (my single WNW kit), Hobbycraft Nieuport 17; and in 1/72 an Airfix Eindecker, Roden Junkers D.1, and eduard Junkers J.1

Expect to see WIP threads for some of them very shortly.

And thank you all for the encouragement.  It really means a lot. I'm not just saying that.

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
At first: Your model is  a nice Nieuport 17!

I didn't add any turnbuckles, which I guess is kind of a no-no now, but they looked oversized when I tried to do them.
I use 1/48 Gaspatch ones for my 1/48 models, and they do NOT look oversized in my opinion.
As example my Ni 11: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8545.0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 08:54:13 PM »
Very nicely done Nieuport as the others have said. As for Turnbuckles there are still some Modelers like me that don't use them  8) I Love seeing them when in scale and  properly aligned but just never have gotten comfortable using them. In smaller scales, especially 1/72nd they are sometimes overbearing, JMHO.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Softscience

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »
Very nicely done Nieuport as the others have said. As for Turnbuckles there are still some Modelers like me that don't use them  8) I Love seeing them when in scale and  properly aligned but just never have gotten comfortable using them. In smaller scales, especially 1/72nd they are sometimes overbearing, JMHO.
RAGIII

Thanks Ragii. I agree, that done wrong they can be a bit on the nose.