Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel USAS  (Read 5020 times)

Offline mgunns

Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel USAS
« on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:39 AM »

Like a lot of WWI Aircraft Modelers, I anxiously awaited the Sopwith Camel release by WNW.  I had built the Hobbycraft one several years ago, based on Des's build and the nice results he achieved from that kit.  When WNW Released the Camel, we were deluged with Camels.  I got a few and started on the USAS Kit in Henry Robinson Clay's markings from "A" Flight, 41st Aero Squadron, partly because I like the scheme with the Camel in the "V" and the unique USAS Cockades, but having read a few of Elliot White Springs books, I wanted to do one in honor of one of his fellow pilots, so chose this airplane.
The model is no cakewalk.  Careful planning and care must be used when building this model.  There are many pitfalls that the modeler can easily fall prey to.  That being written, it builds into a very nice model and will reward the modeler with same.  I fell into almost every pitfall the kit provided due to rushing the build and taking "shortcuts."  A no no.  I won't go into that, suffice it I am happy with the result.

WNW on the left, Hobby Craft on the right.  The H.C. is slightly overscale, as it is pantographed down from the Revell 1/28 scale kit.

Thanks for stopping by and looking.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel USAS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »
Another outstanding model Mark.  Love the scheme and how she looks.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:06:35 AM »
Lovely model, Mark. But, please, do not be shy, illuminate it better and take a few new shots to show us its quality.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:24:43 AM »
    Nice to see this Beauty on the Forum Mark. After following your trials and tribulations on the "Mafia Distribution List" throughout the build I'm glad you completed it, a very impressive job!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
Thanks Guys:

@Lance:  You know the travails with this one.  You compliments are duly appreciated.
@Prez:  Thanks for  your kind words as well, duly appreciated.  Working on better lighting.  At least it's not cluttered.
@Juan:  Thanks for your compliments and checking it out, very much appreciated.
Mark

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
Beautiful , Mark! I have two WnW USAS Camels in the stash and probably need a third one - so many colourful versions!
Looking forward to some more pics of your Camel, if you have!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »
Lovely build, Mark  :) Well done!
Please, don't be shy....Those pitfalls? Would you mind sharing some of those bumps in the road with us?  :o

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
Gorgeous Camel Mark! I have the Lehrone version in the stash and could use some info on those pitfalls  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 02:54:51 AM »
That is a superb Camel and good to see one in USAS markings. I have a friend who has also had problems with this kit, but like you he persevered. Looking at yours I wonder what those pitfalls were.

Stephen.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »
Very nice! I chose the USAS camel too, it’s waiting its turn in the stash. Your pitfalls don’t show in the final result!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 03:39:38 PM »
Hi Guys and thanks for your comments and compliments:

Some of the pitfalls I encountered were as follows:
1.Using the cabane eyelets for the structural rigging as well as the cabane rigging.  Not a good idea.  I took a short cut when I should have drilled and used eyelets.  This was my own undoing as I was getting anxious to see the model completed and thought it would work, it almost did until I attached the outer wing sections.
2.WNW Included eyelets in all the struts and they are very small, thin and easily  break if too much tension is applied.  I used MK rigging throughout the entire model.  On my next one I am going to use Bob's Buckles eyelets all around.
3. Control horns are very fragile.  I used a #83 drill bit to drill the holes.  Very carefully as there isn't a lot of material there to start with and they are very susceptible to bending and breaking.
4. The rear dual flying wires under the wing.  A Sopwith Favorite.  I tried to rig this on the underside and gave up.  On my next one, I am going to drill the holes at the proper angle through the wing and attach on the underside per the actual aircraft.  It's not noticeable that they aren't there, but it bugs me that they aren't.
5.  The Cabanes are part of the interior structure on the USAS Camel and as such are very fragile and susceptible to breaking.  Ask Lance Carroll about that one.  They break easily if not handled carefully during rigging, an errant finger or thumb and they could very easily break.
6.  The cockpit decking fore and aft.  Dry fit to ensure proper fit all along the way.  Any errors in the cockpit and fuselage assembly will mean ill fitting cockpit decking.
7.  The tail skid is very fragile and as it goes on during the fuselage assembly it is there during a lot of handling, care must be exercised during handling of that area.
8.  Dual rigging lines to the rudder control horn. 
9.  Acorn:  Recommend drilling the holes prior to removing from the sprue.  Ensure proper alignment of the acorn with the guns in place otherwise the rigging will "drape" over the guns if it is "hung" too low.  WNW Recommends 7mm (IIRC) below the upper wing section which will be sufficient for proper placement of the acorn.
I would recommend using a stretch rigging of the modelers choice for rigging the cabanes and the acorn.  I would also recommend rigging prior to fixing the center wing section.  None of the above are show stoppers as far the model is concerned, it's just not modeling as usual on this one.  I am looking forward to doing Ships Camel next, forwarned and forearmed should be a less challenging and more enjoyable build.
The WNW Camel builds into an impressive model of the Sopwith Camel and I highly recommend it.  I hope this helpful  and thanks again all for scoping out the model and your kind favorable comments.  Duly appreciated.

Mark

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the details Mark. Some of them I will use stretched sprue for ,like the control wires, but some I will have to deal with, like that acorn!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
I've created a screenshot of Mark's pitfalls.
Right click on it and save for future reference. This will save us from a World of hurt!

Thank you, Mark!!
Von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:48 AM »
Nicely done and thanks for the construction tips !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »
Great job Mark. I have to thank you for the helpful tips on the pitfalls you encountered while building the model. Very helpful information.
Cheers,
Gary