Author Topic: Wingnuts releases a surprise Christmas kit- the Sopwith Dolphin  (Read 13780 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Wingnuts releases a surprise Christmas kit- the Sopwith Dolphin
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
Who could think of this? A Dophin, very interesting subject, I will orden when it is available at my local kit-dealer.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Lovely. I was really afraid, there would be no Christmas surprise this year. Duly ordered one. I still prefer to buy directly from NZ, may be a bit more expensive but the feeling it flies directly to me all around the globe is a part of the pleasure. And it may just come here for Christmas :)
And because of this
As an added bonus, my great-uncle's bus is featured on the box top!
Cheers,
Bud
I may finally be able to build this one which I gave up with CSM. If you allow, Bud, for a token of our long friendship, though virtual it is. :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »
This is the one I have desired for many years. All I can say is: Gawd bless you, Sir Peter!

Cheers

Syd

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »
Is the $79 price tag pleasantly low in anyone elses opinion? I would have figured it would be in the $119 range.

Steve

It's a single engine scout plane.  Other than the Fokker D.VII, those have all have fallen in the $79.00 range, especially the British aircraft.
[/quote
.....and the Roland DVI and the Roland CI/II and the Pfalz DXII and numerous other two bay British types. I was thinking more in the amount of kit as opposed to theme. ]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:37:36 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 11:53:44 PM »
Is the $79 price tag pleasantly low in anyone elses opinion? I would have figured it would be in the $119 range.

Steve

Was thinking the same thing! 

Eric

I thought so as well.  Lot's of model in that box.

Same here.  Carol already ordered mine for Christmas.  As an added bonus, my great-uncle's bus is featured on the box top!
Cheers,
Bud

My Wife has also Oked the Purchase for Christmas! I am excited for the first time in several years with a new WNW release! Nice your Great Uncles Bus is featured Amigo!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »
Cavils:
There's a few spare, blued-out parts--will there be a second boxing for another version?
Only five markings--the SARD night markings take up space on the sheet that might otherwise be used by at least 2 other individual markings.  A 19 Sqn option would have given full Western front representation.
(I pulled the trigger anyway)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:50 AM »
Coyote Magic; "As an added bonus, my great-uncle's bus is featured on the box top!"

Bud,
    I know you're as proud as you should be, that is so neat, and such a fitting tribute to yet another who served!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:12 AM »
Just Pre Ordered from Sprue Brothers!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 01:33:40 AM »
Pre ordered through Hannants.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline nichenson

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 01:55:07 AM »
Cavils:
There's a few spare, blued-out parts--will there be a second boxing for another version?
Only five markings--the SARD night markings take up space on the sheet that might otherwise be used by at least 2 other individual markings.  A 19 Sqn option would have given full Western front representation.

The blued out parts are for a later Dolphin but most of them if not all are noted in the instructions.  I would venture to say there will not be another boxing of this without a completely modified sprue or it would have to be a post war like the D9 and BrisFit.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 03:10:41 AM »
Cavils:

The blued out parts are for a later Dolphin but most of them if not all are noted in the instructions.  I would venture to say there will not be another boxing of this without a completely modified sprue or it would have to be a post war like the D9 and BrisFit.
I'm thinkin' a Polish version.  That would be cool!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 03:46:14 AM »
Cavils:

I'm thinkin' a Polish version.  That would be cool!
Cheers,
Bud

It would be lovely but unfortunately the Polish version cannot be documented. There are no clear photos of any of 10 Polish Dolphins showing markings. Dolphins were little liked a/c among Polish pilots, deemed dangerous to fly. They served only a few weeks  during the Warsaw battle Aug 1920 and probably no one cared of taking any photos of them.
In this situation I doubt WNW otherwise known for thorough research would release anything like this. IMHO it is also a reason for no AH subjects in their offer, where the a/c from same batches differed so much among them, that any research is very difficult.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 05:10:25 AM »

Steve

It's a single engine scout plane.  Other than the Fokker D.VII, those have all have fallen in the $79.00 range, especially the British aircraft.
[/quote
.....and the Roland DVI and the Roland CI/II and the Pfalz DXII and numerous other two bay British types. I was thinking more in the amount of kit as opposed to theme. ]

It is the decals that make the difference. Those German single seaters that have higher price tags have more decal sheets. The base price is $79 USD, with multiple decal sheets driving the price up. Note the Fokker E types are not as highly priced; less decals.  The Roland CII is not a single seater.

Offline fruibal

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:07 AM »

Steve

[/quote

It is the decals that make the difference. Those German single seaters that have higher price tags have more decal sheets. The base price is $79 USD, with multiple decal sheets driving the price up. Note the Fokker E types are not as highly priced; less decals.  The Roland CII is not a single seater.

Why is it that $79 price tag for the sopwith snipe seems too cheap to this guy? Obviously it's a single seater, less plastic sprues,  that quote is out of place, no everybody might even afford paying that!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:38:55 AM by fruibal »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
Coyote Magic; "As an added bonus, my great-uncle's bus is featured on the box top!"

Bud,
    I know you're as proud as you should be, that is so neat, and such a fitting tribute to yet another who served!
Cheers,
Lance

+1 on this side of the pond.
Magic!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith