Author Topic: Sopwith Camel - looking for advice on subject for my build  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Petie2nd

Re: Sopwith Camel - looking for advice on subject for my build
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
Actually, that photo of B6313 upside-down is from March 1918, when Barker was still with 28 Squadron, so it would be in one of the earlier schemes with the white square as the Squadron ID. He then went (with B6313) to 66 Squadron. I don't believe anyone has any photos of the Camel during this time. Finally, he was assigned as CO of 139 Squadron in July 1918, initially with the 7 bands & heart as shown in WNW's kit instructions. The last scheme, being discussed, had the increased fuselage stripes and hearts reversed, with the bare cowling. There's only one image of the final scheme I'm aware of - in Wayne Ralph's illustrated edition of his life, I don't think there's even a photo of it in this scheme. I'm sure I have a book with that photo in it, but I'm not sure where.

Rich

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
Okay, so I'm replying to my own post! Found the picture of B6313 in its final scheme. It's on Page 79 of Osprey's Sopwith Camel Aces of WWI. The view is a left rear 3/4 view, and the wing center section is definitely opened up from the standard. In fact, there's a photo just below it from Barker's time at 28 Squadron, and the difference is obvious. The opened-up center section is an optional part in the WNW kit (marked "not used" in my Clerget version, but used on some other releases). I believe it's also an option in the Eduard kits, although those are inaccessible to me at the moment. Those are the only 2 Camel kits I'm familiar with.

Rich
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:24:53 PM by Petie2nd »

Offline ondra

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
Many thanks for your inputs, Petie and Ray, your help is highly appreciated!

It is a great hint with the Osprey book, I have this one and found the photo, the upper wing is very well visible.

So I adapted my drawing accordingly, hopefully it is correct. I assume there must be rigging between the ribs, right? Marked black on the drawing.

So far no idea how to creat the centre section in 1/144 scale with the rigging, but a lot of time to think about it. :)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »
Ondra,

You may want to look at WNW's instructions for the BR.1 Camel kit (No. 32070) available to download from their site. There is only the single center rib showing, and the rigging wires go from near the ends of that rib in a "V" on either side, to meet at the center of the right and left edges of the opening. If I'm not being clear, the illustration on Page 9 of the instructions (10 in the PDF, counting the cover) should make it easier to see. That should be somewhat easier to make in 1/144 than what you've drawn.

If you do have the Osprey Camel Aces book, the wide opening is shown in the top view of MacLaren's Camel, Profile 13.

Hope this helps,
Rich
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:23:25 PM by Petie2nd »

Offline ondra

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »
Thank you again, Rich, the hint with the WNW instructions as well as Mac Laren's kite profile was very helpful!

So, here the corrected drawing, now it should be closer to the real thing.

Once again many thanks for your advices.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Petie2nd

Boy, am I blind! Missed this one on this very site!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 03:13:46 AM »
Ondra,

I should have looked here for an example - In "Under Construction", Lance has his excellent build of MacLaren's Camel from the WNW kit. The wing is just as described in the instructions. Can't get a better illustration than that!

Only excuse I have is that it was late for me, and I got caught up looking through my library for examples - but we shouldn't forget to check out the great builds on this site!

Rich

Offline rayb24

Re: Boy, am I blind! Missed this one on this very site!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
Ondra,

I should have looked here for an example - In "Under Construction", Lance has his excellent build of MacLaren's Camel from the WNW kit. The wing is just as described in the instructions. Can't get a better illustration than that!

Only excuse I have is that it was late for me, and I got caught up looking through my library for examples - but we shouldn't forget to check out the great builds on this site!

Rich
There are 3 really good views on Lance’s build, of the gap in the centre ribs and one is plan-view looking down on the wing. So as Rich said you can’t get better than that.   
Ray