Author Topic: Wooden Propellers  (Read 6274 times)

Offline James

Wooden Propellers
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »
Saw this on Facebook, a new company, from Kiev if I'm not mistaken - Proper Plane has hand carved wooden propellers - 1/32 - and their first one is out. A Heine and it looks Stunning! It looks like they are also planning an Axial and both of these will go perfectly with a Wingnut Wings kit.

https://www.facebook.com/ProperPlane/

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Wooden Propellers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 06:52:22 AM »
I have ordered two, a Heine and one for a Sopwith Camel. Just waiting on the resin prop bosses to be cast before they get sent. Will report with photos. Cheers, James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline James

Wooden Propellers
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 06:53:53 AM »
I have ordered two, a Heine and one for a Sopwith Camel. Just waiting on the resin prop bosses to be cast before they get sent. Will report with photos. Cheers, James

Thanks James. Looking forward to your review.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
   How much are they charging for them, I can't find a price on the link? Although I make my own the resin hubs look pretty good!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
Sorry, but what I see on the pictures in FB is not a perfect result! The wood structure is to rough (not sure it I used the correct word here) for 1/32.
They should use better wood!
I also thought about producing some air screws, but until now I'm a employee with a salary which is enough for my needs and I build the models and the wooden props in my spare time. I don't know, if it is still fun if you have to live from the result ...

Our results are better, see here the forum experts and my 1/48 models.
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=282.0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline James

Wooden Propellers
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:31:54 AM »
   How much are they charging for them, I can't find a price on the link? Although I make my own the resin hubs look pretty good!
Cheers,
Lance

$25.00

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »
Sorry, but what I see on the pictures in FB is not a perfect result! The wood structure is to rough (not sure it I used the correct word here) for 1/32.
I also thought about producing some air screws, but until now I'm a employee with a salary which is enough for my needs and I build the models and the wooden props in my spare time. I don't know, if it is still fun if you have to live from the result ...

Cheers,
Frank

Frank, I am sure from the view point of someone like yourself who is capable of carving your own these look mediocre. I on the other hand see them as a really nice looking wooden prop that I would spend $25.00 on as I have NO Talent to create them myself! JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »
Does anyone know about payoneer? That is the pay service they use. I\m leary of trying them as I\ve never heard of them before.
James

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
You don't have to sign up to Payoneer. Ask for an invoice to be sent to you and Payoneer will charge your credit card. Pretty straightforward
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
As I couldn't see any manufacturer labels on these props, this might come handy for some of you:
https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_31_65&zenid=2vgto18efcp437am4nnoiigbs6
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 12:38:53 AM »

Cheers,
Frank

I have to agree with Frank's comments regarding the effect produced by the woods used, the "grain" is too open to achieve a perfect scale effect IMHO. I can say that since I carve my own and, significantly, many of them suffer the same shortfall. The wood stock that I have is no way near perfect; I admire Frank's results and intend to attempt cutting my own veneer from more close grained stock.
   Having said that I also agree that, if you believe carving your own props is either not attainable or too labor intensive, these products offer a very nice improvement to your Builds. Using the same materials for enhancements to your replicas has a great deal of merit, and add to the results; the metal panels done by some of our modellers here are a perfect example. The inclusion of well formed resin hubs is another boon! The efforts of many of our Members here at using paint, inks, or more commonly colored pencils in producing wood grain and laminations are truly spectacular as well and a technique beyond my skills.
    I'd say these props are very reasonably priced and worthy of consideration if you don't wish to try your own. Thanks Borsos, for the link to the manufacturer's Decals, "frosting on the cake" as they say!
    As for going "commercial" on hand carved props I once considered that possibility but, like Frank, I decided to keep the enjoyment in the hobby; like commission Builds I don't wish to shift the rewards of the Hobby away from the "fun" aspects.
    Just my "outside voice" quacking again, I believe these Proper Plane props have a lot to offer the Modeller but like all products are not quite perfect yet.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Proper Plane

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 06:20:36 PM »
Hi guys! I'm Alex Belov, Proper Plane owner. I am glad that our product makes such a great discussion. Of course I can admit that some of your remarks are close to real and I will try to make my props even better to make your modelling real happy. I would be glad to know all of your opinion and to answer the questions.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
Thanks Alex for your comments, they are much appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing you post images of your products in your newly established shop on the forum, I'm sure the members are going to be very interested in what you have to offer.

Des.

BTW,welcome to the forum
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Proper Plane

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
Thanks Des for your inviting me on this great forum!

Offline Proper Plane

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »
As I couldn't see any manufacturer labels on these props
We thought about it for a long time and decided not to make decal labels for our propellers because the WnW kits have their own great labels and we do not want to increace the price of our product adding a useless decal