Author Topic: Air Compressors  (Read 2670 times)

Offline cbk57

Air Compressors
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Hello all

I have been using a cheap air compressor that does have a tank and a pressure control, however it is insanely loud.  What do you all recommend.  Is the Iwata Smart Jet a good unit.  I am concerned without a tank it could pulse some.  I really like having the reserve tank on my unit because I do get a good smooth air flow but I think it is making me go deaf.  Key features I want are quiet, easy maintenance, pressure regulation, and water trap.  I do not currently have a water trap.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Air Compressors
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
CBK,
    I had the same concerns as you expressed regarding the requirement for a reserve tank. I got a lot of good info and advice from members on another Site and, in the end, bought the Iwata Smart Jet Pro. It is a truly great product; no pulsing, built in water trap, quiet, and easy pressure regulation (with no reserve tank). I really like it and highly recommend it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
I purchased this compressor off ebay about three years ago, it has a tank, pressure regulator, water trap and is extremely quiet, it has operated faultlessly for the three years and cost $86.00.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »
I use my workshop air compressor -- 2 cycle 5hp 80 gallon -- of course overkill x100 for model stuff but if you have any need for 1:1 scale tools for automotive work etc. not a bad investment.

Dekenba

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
I've got the same a Des, but in a metal case with a couple of airbrush stands on top.

I think they are generic Chinese manufactured, but mine's quiet & 100% reliable. The tank means it's not even on all the time you are painting.

They are pretty inexpensive as well, so what is there not to like?!

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »
I think the model number of those Chinese compressors is as-186. There have been a number of reports of them failing. I had one for 12 months gave it away and got an Iwata that has so far given me 4 years of faultless service.

If you buy the chinese compressor you have about an equal chance of getting a nugget like Des or garbage IME.

Offline Edo

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
I have the same as Des' ... has worked fine for about 5 years now... the engine changess tune when it runs for long periods (but so do I...  ;D)...

Now, don't whant to hijack this thread, but yesterday night I spryed all right but when it came to rieassembre the airbrush after cleaning air exit from the paint jug not the hose... at least till when I super skrew the hose itself....
any suggestion on what went wrong? skrewing too tight will ruin the airbrush?

thank you
ciao
Edo

Offline cbk57

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the advise.  I currently have a cheap compressor that works well but is intolerably loud, so sound is really important.  It is so loud I build a sound insulated box to put it.  That cut the sound by about 50% and it is still unbearable.  Because I can't go test them I will probably go with a known product like Iwata.

Dekenba

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »
I have the same as Des' ... has worked fine for about 5 years now... the engine changess tune when it runs for long periods (but so do I...  ;D)...

Now, don't whant to hijack this thread, but yesterday night I spryed all right but when it came to rieassembre the airbrush after cleaning air exit from the paint jug not the hose... at least till when I super skrew the hose itself....
any suggestion on what went wrong? skrewing too tight will ruin the airbrush?

thank you
ciao
Edo

paint jug?

Offline Edo

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:34:43 AM »
paint jug
noun, italian-english expression for this...  ;)

sorry about that... don't know the real name...

ciao
Edo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »
I think "reservoir" is the word, but anyway, it sounds like the main nozzle is completely blocked, this would cause the airbrush to back up through the reservoir (you can see this for yourself by blocking the nozzle end with your finger and pressing the trigger.)

FWIW, I hardly ever take my airbrush apart for cleaning. Instead I spray lacquer thinner through it till it runs clear, then Windex. (Ammonia-based window cleaner). I spray into a cleaning jar like Iwata makes. I've had the same kind of airbrush since I was a kid -- A Paasche VL -- old school nowadays, I realize, but it works just fine. I've had the current one for at least 20 years, same nozzle, same needle valve. On the Paasche VL model anyway, there are passages that never touch liquid in normal operation and soaking the disassembled parts in solvent actually risks plugging the air passages. Your mileage may vary!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:39:43 AM by UncleTony »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:27:16 AM »
Tony,
  I gave my Paasche VL to my son several years ago. It must be a real winner as mine was like yours, close to 30 years of service, same needle etc. What are they worth these days?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »
Its called a 'Hopper'.

What about "colour cup" or does that term only apply to removable ones?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »
What about "colour cup" or does that term only apply to removable ones?
Cheers,
Lance

It's always been a colour cup to me too Lance.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline cbk57

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
I use that Tamiya brush.  I start cleaning with the backwash method as shown in the instructions.  With acrylics I start with water.  After it sprays clean I finish with liquor thinner using the backwash method again.  Once in a while I give it a full tear down.  If I am using enamel or liquor I use liquor thinner for all cleaning steps.