Author Topic: Donnet-Lévêque Type A, Libramodels, 1:72  (Read 28400 times)

Offline boggie

Re: Donnet-Lévêque Type A, Libramodels, 1:72
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Very nice progress Ian.

I agree with Lance, excellent prop work!

And your CDL translucent effect, first rate!  :)

Offline IanB

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »
Thanks Lance, and Boggie!

Another quick update. There's been quite a bit going on but not much worthy of pics. Today I fitted the fuel tank and "plumbed" it.
 The oil pipe and fuel line are bits of scrap copper wire I had lying about.

The carb bracing wires are just held taut by pegs at the moment as I have also been working on the remainder of the engine bracing frame. The pieces have been cut and painted and will be fitted tomorrow (with any luck!). There are also a couple of braces and a rigging wire for the tank to be added.

Finally today the prop got painted.

I'm going to try Bare Metal Foil for the leading edge protectors, so those, and the boss, should also be going on tomorrow.

Ian

Offline IanB

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:05 AM »
Hi all,
 Another small update on the engine installation. The forward framework was completed today, using .016" brass rod. Nothing too difficult there fortunately, just awkward to reach in places! After that was done I cleaned up the wing upper surfaces where the rigging wires had passed through, and started on the final assembly of the engine and prop. The Small Stuff engine is extremely...well, small...and fiddly! I gave up with the push rods that come with the kit as I couldn't even hold one in the tweezers without it bending, and attaching one keeping it straight was impossible, so I used .004" steel wire which was far easier and went very quickly.  I also think the engine is slightly too big, as I made the wing struts 1mm too long by accident, and the engine still occupies a larger area between the wings than it should. A result of this is that the braces for the prop shaft would stop the engine rotating - they don't quite clear the cylinders. I can't raise the engine any higher as it is already touching the top wing! Still, it's a huge improvement over anything else available.

So here's how it looks as of this evening.

All that remains to do on the wing assembly now is to add a couple more small braces between the rear prop brace arms and touch the paintwork up. I think I'll leave the floats until it's all together, so I think the next step now is to attach the wings!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
Madness

In a good way

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
This is shaping up to be best in show at Telford next year, Ian!  Magnificent!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2017, 05:23:26 AM »
Absolutely beautiful work on the engine, prop, and of course the rigging! Just gorgeous all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »
Thanks Richard, Bud, and Rick. Your comments are very much appreciated. Even though I don't think it's anywhere near "best of show" standard it's rewarding to know that you think it's up there......

I measured up the engine and it comes out at 1.5mm too big in diameter, so it does take up a little more space than it should and probably won't fit anything with a cowling!

Today's progress followed pretty much with what I had planned - unusual though that may be! I completed the rear engine braces using .010" brass rod, and then touched up the black paintwork. The big problem with using brass rod is, of course, that as soon as you pick it up with tweezers the paint comes off again! The final rigging wires were also secured to the frame.

Next step was a little more tidying up on the upper wing surfaces. I'll finish that off after all the wires have been secured and trimmed.
The rigging lines on the fuselage were added...I give you one model Catfish....

and finally for today the wings were attached!

Since there are only 4 very small contact points I'm leaving that now until tomorrow at the earliest, when I will secure the remaining rigging lines to give it a little more strength.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
PS Postie arrived today with the Pegasus Macchi M5 I bought a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. All the way from Oz!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:26:17 AM by IanB »

Bughunter

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
Fantastic work again, also on the Small Stuff engine. In scale 1/72 I only build one engine of that company so I know how small such thing is.

The big problem with using brass rod is, of course, that as soon as you pick it up with tweezers the paint comes off again!
That is the reason why I prime metal parts with the clear Mr. Metal Primer from Gunze. I use the glass can and brush, not the spray variant.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »
Truly amazing work Ian, cannot believe you can achieve such stunning results in 1/72.

Offline IanB

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2017, 05:59:56 AM »
Many thanks Frank, I'll have to get some metal primer I think!
Thanks Juan, much appreciated!

Today's task was to complete the rigging. So with that in mind, the remaining lines were threaded, pulled taut, and secured, either with a small piece of tape, or a miniature clothes peg. They were then secured with CA. After letting it all dry properly, the loose ends were carefully trimmed off with a new scalpel blade, and the job is now complete!

That's where she'll stay for today. I'm off three days this coming week, so I should be able to put this one in the cabinet before next weekend!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
Outstanding work on the rigging! She is looking gorgeous!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
Wow! Ian, great results! The rigging, the wood, everything looks very good.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline sergio_vitalio

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2017, 03:55:27 AM »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »
Really nice, Ian. Congratulations!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2017, 05:03:00 AM »
Great job with the rigging Ian.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com