Author Topic: Breguet XIV B2 (Hi-Tech 1/48)  (Read 38886 times)

Offline KrzysiekK

Re: Breguet XIV B2 (Hi-Tech 1/48)
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
Good work Antonio!
I really like your attitude towards this rough kit
regards
K

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
Thank you K!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
Hallo friends,
here are some photos about the BrXIV:

The cockpit cage is closed, the pilotseat is just laid on the framework:

It took me several hours and diopters to understand how to make it fit inside the fuselage: using the pieces as they are supplied in the box the fuselage did not close.

At the end I gave up using two of the three transversal pieces and cut some crossbeams whose length was defined by hours of trial-and-errors.
The rearmost pglueing it against the rearmost wertical beams of the sides.

At the end the cage fits perfectly inside its hull:

The rigging cables on both the sides of the pilot seat were made using 0.3 mm plasticard and the turnbuckles are obtained by drilling 0.8 mm plasticard rod with a 0.4 mm drill bit.

Another step towards the completion of the very complex cockpit installation was to fix the horizontal beam on which the control colums are set.
This was the cage as I dry fitted it initially, the horizontal beam I'm talking about is the white plasticard rod.

Now I will not use the two pieces which were conceived to hold it any more, so I will just cut the two subpieces that have the loop in which I inserted the white rod and glue them tht heir place after carfully shotening them to a suitable length.

The two control columns are supplied as photoetched pieces and I don't like the so flat.
Here is my plan to scratch build them: I will keep only the handles part and try to make a sandwich with some plasticard to make the handles round.

I'll keep the horizontal beam (diam. 0,8 mm) and have made 4 sleeves drilling plasticard rod 1.3 mm diam.

with a 0.8 mm drill bit.

The beam will slide inside the sleeves and I'll try to drill the sleeves on their tops to host the control columns (diam 0.5 mm).

Here you can see the two photoetched columns and the sleeves (I need 2 but I made 4 in case the carpet monster is still hungry) inserted on the horizontal beam

Thanks for your attention

AnDonio
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:08:06 AM by andonio64 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 03:23:42 AM »
You have done an outstanding job adapting the framework to fit inside the fuselage! Your work on the columns is equally nice!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 03:38:53 AM »
Excellent start and progress on a challenging kit!
Caio
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 03:42:12 AM »
Thanks Rick and Giuseppe,
Here I share some thoughts I made on the colours of the plane I am building.

key to colours:
1. Chestnut Brown      Misterkit MKFR05 Chestnut Brown
2. Beige         Misterkit MKFR10 Beige
3. Dark Green      Misterkit MKFR11 Dark Green
4. Light Green      Misterkit MKFR12 Light Green
5. Black

The box suggests the front part of the fin (where the no. 3 is placed) to be white, and the back part of the fin itself to be green, but on the Davilla / Soltan book there is a different interpretation: the back part is painted Chestnut Brown (1) and the front part is painted with Beige (2).
Moreover the number 3 is said to be red while the decals provide a black number.

I tend to believe the book is more reliable, so I will paint the fin as shown in my drawings, and try to make a red 3 and print the decals myself.

This is the top view, here the book says the 3 is red and there is the squadron emblem on the left, while the kit suggests there was an solid white circle on the left.
Again I believe to the book and will try to draw the red rooster in order to print it at a suitable size to be put on the top wing.

This is the top side of the bottom wings

And this is the bottom view of the left bottom wing, the cockades are obviously symmetrical on both the wings but again the no.3 should be red.

Thanks for your attention

AnDonio

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 04:11:02 AM »
Andonio,
    It's coming along beautifully, you are doing wonders with this basic Kit. Your scratch built additions are taking it far beyond it's potential, and it's going to be a really unique and impressive addition to your cabinet. An enjoyable Build to follow, keep up the exceptional work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 05:11:23 AM »
Thanks a lot Lance for your kind appreciation, indeed it will be an impressive addition to my cabinet, because I can't find enough room for such a big model!!!

Antonio

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »
Andonio,
    It's coming along beautifully, you are doing wonders with this basic Kit. Your scratch built additions are taking it far beyond it's potential, and it's going to be a really unique and impressive addition to your cabinet. An enjoyable Build to follow, keep up the exceptional work!
Cheers,
Lance

Agree 100% with LAnce !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »
Hi Antonio;

I've got the Breguet 14B2 in my stash, so I've been following your build with interest. You are doing a great job.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
Thanks Jamie and Ed!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
Wow, I like everything on your build, the chosen sheme and your wonderful progress. Very nice!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »
 Andonio,
Outstanding progress my old friend. As always your excellent skill and craftsmanship absolutely shine. I'm looking forward to following along. Take care and keep up the excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 12:13:58 AM »
Thanks Borsos and Gregory, your words are highly appreciated!

Antonio

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 03:16:05 AM »
Really Andonio you know how to turn a pig's ear into something rather different and more desirable. The scheme is striking indeed, but the drilling of the plastic rod to make those collars is just something else again. Excellent modelling.

Stephen.