Author Topic: Breguet XIV B2 (Hi-Tech 1/48)  (Read 39589 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: Breguet XIV B2 (Hi-Tech 1/48)
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2017, 07:03:33 PM »
Hallo, I started working on the control horns of the tail assembly: as shown in the attached image they are of the "half moon" type (I don't know if there is a technical term to identify them)

THe red arrows indicate the place where the should go

So I started carving them on plasticard

I had prepared also the control horns of the rudder:

I have also started working on the twinlewis ring mount.
Here is how I modified the racks for vertical orientation:

Have a nice Sunday everybody!

Antonio
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:09:02 PM by andonio64 »

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2017, 05:25:50 AM »
Nice work on those small parts -the exhaust looks great, too!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2017, 07:14:47 AM »
Wow, Nice job on carving those control horns. They look the part!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2017, 03:32:24 AM »
Thank you Jeroen and Rick.
I have finished the 4 control horns, will photograph them when glued at their place.

Meanwhile I closed the fuselage:

top and bottom views

I show here two plates I inserted on the ceiling and on the floor of the engine room.
The top one is needed to lay the exhaust on it, the bottom one is needed to avoid seeing the empty space from the louvres below the engine (PE piece to be put in place after)
I have put the central "tooth" to give the bottom PE piece with the louvres a further contact point with the model.

Here you can see the radiator and the exhaust dry fitted to see how they look like, the black areas on the cheeks are roughly painted to avoid the gray of the plastic peep out from the side louvres and to give the brass pieces more "grip".
I have also sanded the inner face of the PE to prepare the contact surfaces more grip.

That's all for today, I wish you a beautiful and relaxing Christmas Eve and many beautiful models beneath the tree!!!

Hugs to everybody.

AnDonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2017, 04:18:36 AM »
Nice progress Antonio! Looking very good to say the least!
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2017, 01:19:02 AM »
Thanks again Rick!

Yesterday night I have painted the bombs.
I wasn't able to find any reference on the colours of French bombs, I just saw sometimed the same bombs had very different colours, so I painted some bombs different from the other ones of the same type, and I painted on some of them national colours, I know sometimes the bombs were made recognisable, so here they are. I hope you'll like them, I do!
;-)

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »
I succeeded in working some time on the Breguet: I have decided not to prime the fuselage, there are too many details to mask and the control cables going to the tail, so I started to paint it.
I painted with Tamiya flat aluminium the metallic parts that will be covered with the camouflage and also half of the belly.
The remainder will be painted Misterkit MKFR03 Light Yellow, same colour of the fuselage inside.

At the moment this is the state of the work:

top view

Starboard side:
- the white circle was made to lay the decal upon it, it was intended to avoid the dark colours of the camo peeping from under the decal, it will be masked before painting the camouflage
- the boxes painted in dark iron will be the seat of the two little panels with louvres for air
- I also painted dark brown the seams / stitching. They were touched up after taking the photo, here they appear a bit irregular, that is because I took off too rapidly the masking tape. The stitching will be overpainted by the camo colors and after I will try to gently brush them to let the brown come out (wish me luck on this, I never tried it!)

Port side

Belly: it will be left in bare metal, the black area beneath the "chin" will host a PE panel with louvres ...

... here it is. I used Tamiya brown Panel line Accent to enhance the lines, the carburators air intakes were just two holes, I used a 1,5 mm diamater brass tube, hit on a very small anvil I have to get that oblong shape.

These are the panels that will go oneach cheek, first painted in flat aluminium and then painted with their final colors.
The metallic color will hopefully come out when I'll make some scratch, some are already there but are difficult to see due to the flash of my camera. THe colours are also too much "acid", they look better in natural light.

That's all for tonight

Ciao

AnDonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2017, 11:11:45 PM »
Very Nice progress Antonio!  The panels should look great in place and scratched up!
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2017, 02:57:43 AM »
Thank you Rick!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »
Hallo, I just rose from my bed after 2 days (and nights) of flu, here are some pics I took just before falling ...

From the pics some touch up to the camo appears to be required, moreover there is gap between the top side of the radiator and the cowling, I'll fit a thin stip of plasticard in it to reduce its visibility.

Well that's all for today, thanks for watching

Antonio

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2018, 06:15:20 PM »
Very fine progress, and waiting for the next updates.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »
Thank you Giuseppe.

After closing the fuselage I added a couple of details : a sort of square panel between the two cockpit openings, it was depicted on all the profile drawings I found on the Windsock datafile and on one photo on the same source, and the fuel tank cork, I made it a bit thicker than the PE part supplied by the kit, I am not sure about its position, because so far I was not able to find any drawing of this plane without the top wing, even the WD had no 3 views drawing as normally has.

The documentation about this plane is very scarce.

Thanks for looking

Antonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2018, 12:50:16 AM »
The side cowl panels look very good in place. The PE Louvres look excellent. You are making great progress and I too am looking forward to your next update.
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 04:52:48 AM »
Thanks Rick, glad you're liking this!

Here is some touch up made since last photos to the camo painting and reducing the gap between the top of the radiator and the cowling.
There appears some more touch up to be done to the side panels, but I'm afraid the paint could go into the louvres so I haven't decided yet to make it or not...

The pics:

A glimpse of the cockpit:

Today I feel still very weak recovering from the flu so I worked to complete the self made decals at the PC, I made the last piece I was missing: the tail stencils.
Here goes the PNG:

The national colours are there just to show how it will look (or it should) in the end.
For the forum mates who want to use this NOT for commercial use here is the vector format

Thank you as usual for your attention!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
The style and lettering of the rudder stencils were inspired by the WINDSOCK DATAFILE Special (that shows style and lettering of nearly all the different production industries)  and are the kind of stencil painted by Michelin on their production machines.
No. 1333 should be a Michelin built plane.
Same for the camo painting on wings, tail and fuselage, the camo was very standardized within a given factory.

Antonio