Author Topic: An Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon - well it kept me off the streets  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Hello All

Well, here are some shots of the 1/24 Typhoon I mentioned in another thread. I don't offer it as something down to the finest level of accuracy in finish or detail, but making it gave me a lot of pleasure and kept me off the streets.

It was two or three years ago at the Scale Mode World exhibition at Telford that Airfix unveiled this magnificent kit; it looked stunning. I knew immediately that I would want to build one at some stage. Last year, I noticed that it could be picked up at a bargain price and, by December, I felt the need to take a break from rigging the Great War aircraft I loved so much. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a photographic record of the build, but here are some shots.

This first photo is one of the earliest and is just to show the basic frame around which the kit is made. The fit is almost exemplary, but clearing the fine lines seams, where they could subsequently be visible,  proved a bit tedious. From the start I recognised a slight warpage on the port side wing. Correcting it would have saved me some problems later. You'll notice how it is already dwarfing my 30 x 22 cm cutting pad.

Next is one of my favourite shots. The engine lacks one front to back piece of plumbing and the exhausts come later, but the cockpit is pretty much done. When beginning the model I felt that the plastic was a bit soft. It was only really as I worked on the engine that I came to appreciate Airfix's foresight here. Every piece in the kit is plastic, even the 'wiring' which twists and loops here there and everywhere. A more brittle plastic would have been catastrophic.  Closely following the instruction sequence was essential, but it was amazing how 'wiring' could be threaded through to find precise end-on location points. The drawback was that removing seam lines took a long time. Where brown oil paint has been used on certain leads, the intention was that, through the build, it would gradually rub away on exposed parts and subsequently provide the greater depth I wanted. The Airfix instrument dials and placards for the cockpit seemed pretty good, but I chose to replace them with the dedicated set from Airscale. I also used a set of HGW seat belts designed for this model. They seem a bit wide to me, but looked so much better than the kit's originals. The copper colour on the cylindrical tank behind the armour plating is simply the result of light from the camera flash reflecting from aluminium.

The central part of the lower wing has been installed, together with gun bays and various fuel tanks. At this stage, I had yet to decide what would be left open to view.

Cannons have been installed as have wing tips and undercarriage bay roofs. I have read about people being very afraid of accidentally snapping the cannons. The choice of a flexible plastic really helped overcome this fear. In fact, their very flexibility is only what makes it possible to slide the cannon through the holes in the wing spars.

And now things are sealed up. Decisions made. I needed to chamfer the fuels tanks and the undercarriage bay roofs to get a nice fit - but then the instructions did make it clear that, at least in part, the former were optional. The eagle-eyed will notice that the starboard, inner cannon is missing. I didn't have a mishap and break it off after all. Rather I wasn't happy with the way the cannon was causing a slight misalignment of the fairing. So, it was a deliberate action to overcome a problem of my own making.

The cannon fairing is restored and a coat of Tamiya surfacer applied to highlight any wrinkles and give the paint something to grip onto. Logic has then been turned on its head by beginning work on the invasion stripes before the camouflage. I also couldn't resist building the massive propeller and plugging it in to reinforce the sense of a Typhoon's power. The cutting mat certainly looks small.

Another shot of the engine, though with the exhausts still to be added. Again the propeller is loosely plugged in, though it is not quite sitting perfectly yet.

A compass has been added and some leather padding to protect the pilot's face.

On with the invasion stripes. Was it a good idea to do them before the camouflage? I think not. My aim to avoid having to build up coats of white paint. I realise that 'in the field' such paintwork often failed to cover completely underlying camouflage, and to their credit, Airfix show this in the painting guidelines, but I still decided against it.

A bit of a jump now as camouflage and various other external surface painting details  have been completed. Decals have been applied and the underwing rocket rails added.

The open starboard gun bay covers in place and the canopy, sitting in place, unglued, before a final polish up.

I spy, just about, an undercarriage and some underwing rockets - painted as called out by Airfix, though I'm not so sure...

Who's your little friend? Why it's a 1/48 scale (Eduard) Fokker Dr.I, the only thing I had to hand to give a sense of the size of the mighty 1/24 scale Typhoon.

The exhausts are there.

And it also comes with wheels. The rockets are primed (?) with their little pigtails. One thing to note is that the excellent Airfix painting guidance makes it clear that on this particular aircraft the ground crew somehow painted the invasion stripes on the undercarriage doors in such a way that, when retracted, they did not match up at all with the stripes on the wings.

Pretty much ready for take-off. Oh apart from a pilot!

Thanks for indulging me in this build. This Typhoon was just the tonic I needed and I will return to 1/48 now, rigging, and that gorgeous Copper State Caudron. But as an aside, the fact that one retailer is offering the 1/24 Mosquito at half price has not gone unnoticed. Thanks for the heads up on that, Sandy.

Best wishes
Nigel

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:34:55 PM by Nigel Jackson »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: An Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon - well it kept me off the streets
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:27 AM »
Beautiful Nigel! I agree that an occasional foray away from wood and wire subjects is a great tonic for the modelling "mojo", and this magnificent beast is a good case in point! Nicely done, and thanks for sharing it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
A magnificent looking model Nigel, you have done a superb job building and painting this kit with an truly spectacular result, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline boggie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
Excellent Nigel!

I agree 100% with comments by Lance and Des.

I hope to also see a big Mossie here in due course.  ;D

Thanks for showing.

Cheers   :)

Offline Old Man

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
That's quite a model, Sir.

Educational, too. Interesting and instructive to see how the actual structure is incorporated into the kit.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
Beautiful.
What a magnificent big beast of a model. Well done, Sir.
S

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
Super Nigel,

I remember you drooling over it at Telford..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »
Dear Lance, Des, boggie, Old Man, Sandy and Guy, thank you so much for your kind words.

Incidentally, I have nowhere to display it. Instead, it just fits snugly into an otherwise empty cupboard in a sideboard!

As to a big Mossie, boggie, priority now returns to the Great War and 1/48 scale. Even given this priority, I might struggle to keep up with Edgar's fantastic output at Copper State I However, I have a feeling that a big Mossie might be winging its way to my son's house as Christmas present from the family.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:29:37 AM »
Nigel,

"Incidentally, I have nowhere to display it. Instead, it just fits snugly into an otherwise empty cupboard in a sideboard!"

It's a shame to keep her under cover:

A glass door addition to the sideboard might help...........   ;) :)  failing that have you considered adding a small wing to the place? ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 04:41:10 AM »
Beauty Nigel, now a 1/24 target....

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
Nicely done !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »
Truly gorgeous Typhoon, Nigel! Pick a corner of a room, put some velvet ropes around, and charge admission!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
Thanks Ian, Ed and Ian, you're very kind.

The storage suggestions so far raised a smile on Ena's face. Here's another possibility. We live about twenty minutes from Limoges airport. There must be some spare hangar accommodation, especially if I do ever get round to a 1/24 Mossie!

By the way, Gisbod was quite right about my drooling at the unveiling of the Typhoon at Telford; good job I had a handkerchief to wipe my chin. But then, the Telford exhibition is like that. I think that last year I first saw a 1/200 HMS Rodney (or Nelson) bedecked in enough etched metal to roof a shed.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »
 "Truly gorgeous Typhoon, Nigel! Pick a corner of a room, put some velvet ropes around, and charge admission!"

Beautiful Ian! I love a thinking man's logic! ;D ;D ;D
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 05:08:53 AM »
Lovely to see one of your models Nigel - just shows what a master modeller you really are. And a truly impressive model indeed - but I completely sympathise with the space problem.....which is why I do not have one!

Stephen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:36:49 AM by lone modeller »