Author Topic: An Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon - well it kept me off the streets  (Read 6030 times)

Offline boggie

Re: An Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon - well it kept me off the streets
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »
It is a shame a suitable display area is not readily available.

Perhaps your Son will have space next to his Christmas Mossie?

Have you considered mounting it on a pole as a Gate Guardian for your home?

It certainly is big enough!  ;)  ;D

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 12:34:54 AM »
Stephen, thank you so much for your kind words. In truth, I know where the skeletons are..... The  bit that I suppose I'm most proud about is the cockpit, which can only really be seen in one of the earlier photos.  It's all sealed up now but I remember some wise words from Des, when I bemoaned the fact that the high altitude oxygen unit that I put into Fokker D.V.II during a Forum group build, could not be seen on the finished thing. He said something like "Yes, but you kmow it's there."

And still the storage ideas come in. From the patio to the front gate, boggie, is a straight drive about forty-five metres long. It's wide enough for the Gate Guardian to look as if it's just taken off!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:51 AM »
A beautiful and LARGE build Nigel! Lovely work all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gilly

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »
Outstanding Nigel, what a fantastic build, a real beauty  8)

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »
Superb model.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Spiffy Tiffy!!

Steve

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 02:52:32 AM »
Dear RAGIII, Gilly, Ken and Steve,

Thank you for your kind words. The search for suitable storage continues - maybe I'll need to apply for planning permission!

I'm now at a different part of the spectrum and wondering how two people managed to fit into the crew pod of a Caudron G.IV.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »
Nigel,

I echo all of the comments here: Well Done! An excellent build all 'round of a very impressive model. You've included many points that will benefit future builders of this kit: kudos to you for the insight. Best of luck to you as you determine just how and where to display this excellent build.

I'll probably be occupying a few threads on this page as I wrestle with a Frog Javelin, an Italeri Hercules, a Trumpeter AVGP Cougar, and a Tamiya gun tractor/limber/25 pounder combination. A Blue Max 1/48th Dolphin is about to receive its rigging once I take delivery of the thin wire to be used, then it goes into its already existing build thread. The Javelin and Hercules are almost done while the other two are going to a museum and a private collector respectively. Once the backlog is cleared I'll certainly be back to Great War aviation subjects!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 12:41:53 AM »
Thank you so much for your kind words, Gary.

It is still hiding in its own cupbard in a sideboard. When I took it out the other day to show my grandson on FaceTime, I found the contrast with the teeny weeny crew pod for the 1/48 Caudron I'm currently working on caught me by surprise!

Good luck with the various projects. I know you have a personal interest in the Hercules, but I also can't wait to see the Javelin and the Tamiya combo. Lurking around in a shoe box, somewhere, I'm sure that I have a three parts completed 25 pounder and crew.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »

"...I also can't wait to see the Javelin..."

Best wishes
Nigel

Here's where the Javelin is now. It's the overly-ancient Frog kit given to me just for fun by a friend in the UK. Only the under-wing stores, pitot tubes, vortex generators and intake covers to add and we'll be finished. Probably have it done in about two weeks or so.  8)

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
Very nice indeed, Gary. I'm not much into post-World War II jets, but the Javelin has always caught my eye. Remembering well the impact the Frog kits had on me as a youngster, I've often thought about getting hold of one again and seeing what can be made of it. You have shown just what can be achieved with your mighty fine Javelin.

Best wishes
Nigel