Author Topic: Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane, Eduard/Spin Model, 1/48  (Read 5633 times)

Bughunter

Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane, Eduard/Spin Model, 1/48
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:54:58 AM »
Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane

Today I'm able to show my third model of this year. It is a expermental triplane, build by Pfalz in Speyer as conversion of a D.IIIa and was flown in October 1917. So we are near to the centennial anniversary.

The model in 1/48 was created from a Eduard Dual-Combo-kit and a conversion set from Spin Model. Additionally PE of Eduard, Gaspatch turnbuckles and different kinds of wood for the airscrew were used. The used paints are Alclad, MR.Paint and Gunze.

A detailed build report can be found here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8654.0

The original is mainly known by this picture:

Quelle: pinimg.com
und photobucket.com:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/SPA124BRUNO/PFALZDIIIconversion.jpg

My imitation:

again in color:

Lets do a walk around:

The view from below:

And at the end both Pfalz D.IIIa, made from the same kit. One is a elegant Biplane, the other ... one says:
Although it's a shame to spoil that elegant machine with a 3rd pair of wings  ;)
Borsos

What do you think?

Cheers,
Frank

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane, Eduard/Spin Model, 1/48
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »
I think they are both magnificent models, both came out great!
Although that third wing might spoil the looks, you certainly made it look good.
I will be saving your build as an ispiration for my own build, hope mine looks half as good as yours.
Many thanks for sharing this build with us,you are a gifted modeller.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
   A very nice completion to an interesting Build, Frank, and it was a pleasure to follow your progress. This is, like your others, a beautifully finished model, very clean with just a hint of weathering and shading to add to the realism. Your paint work, detail, and that beautiful prop really make it a standout. Congratulations on a very fine effort!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Two beautifull models standing side by side with the triplane standing out as being quite unique. You have done a superb job with the build ending up with an excellent triplane model, the colours make this a very attractive looking model, very well done Frank.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:56:21 AM »
Simply superb, both beauties.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
What the others have written. At first I had to check the upper photos to make sure that you had not put a photo of your model on to the original background. Superb modelling and a very interesting and informative build log. Thanks.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
She's truly exquisite, Frank, and looks so beautiful next to her equally gorgeous stable mate.  Well done, my friend!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
Terrific results on an interesting Pfalz! Your painting and weathering are superb! Both of your Pfalz look Stunning together!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:40 PM »
A thing of beauty  ;)
Thanks for sharing.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »
Hello Frank,

That is really cool.   very nicely done.

Paul

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
damn nice job.

Offline ondra

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Veeery nice, congratulations on finishing this rare beauty!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
Wow, what an awesome job!

It makes me wonder how the Pfalz DIII tripe performed in comparison to the biplane it was developed from? Is there any info on the number of planes of this type that Pfalz built and why it never went past the experimental stage?
Woof!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
Wow, what an awesome job!

It makes me wonder how the Pfalz DIII tripe performed in comparison to the biplane it was developed from? Is there any info on the number of planes of this type that Pfalz built and why it never went past the experimental stage?

According to Jack Herris' brief write up in Pfalz Aircraft of WWI the aircraft proved slower both in speed and climb rate then the Biplane version. It seems to infer that only one was built.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:42 AM »
Thank you all for your nice words! You made my day :)

It makes me wonder how the Pfalz DIII tripe performed in comparison to the biplane it was developed from?
Is there any info on the number of planes of this type that Pfalz built and why it never went past the experimental stage?
Hmm, I forgot to mention some more info for the real one. According to my "Pfalz - Fighter Aircraft" it had a poor performance. To discover the reason the middle wing was removed and flown again, with a better performance (climb rate and speed).
So only one was converted and "the project was cancelled due to lack of prospects for success".

At first I had to check the upper photos to make sure that you had not put a photo of your model on to the original background.
I will try to make a better s/w picture, with different background and better light from below. The perspective was near to correct, but in that picture most of the rib shadows are invisible. Let's see ...

Cheers,
Frank