Author Topic: Fe2d A1959 (WNW Conversion)  (Read 23766 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Fe2d A1959 (WNW Conversion)
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 04:00:20 AM »
Thanks so much for these photos Andreas. I have been trying to work out the shape of the nacelle from the drawings in the DF and could not seem to get it right. Your photos have solved a problem for me so that I can now carve a mould to make the correct shape. The engine details are also very helpful as I will have to scratch build that too.

Your modelling skills are very evident in these pictures - especially the dents in the nose. I think that I may give those a miss on my model!!

Stephen.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 05:13:18 AM »
obsessively following. hoping i'll be up to one of these one day.

Bughunter

Re: Fe2d A6378 or A1959 (WNW Conversion)
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 05:39:29 AM »
Andreas, this is a really impressive build! You take full advance of the big scale!

Since I carve and sand my own propellers, this became one of my most favoured jobs building a plastic airplane. I simply love working with wood...
I only can sign that - and your use of Future is a very fine finishing technique!

Keep on going,
Frank

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »
Incredible work on the engine and nacelle Andreas!  Simply outstanding.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:41:59 PM by Juan »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »
Thank you very much for your generous comments! I really appreciate them.

Stephen I am keen on seeing your magic scratchbuilding on the Fee. I do have left a started 1:72 Fe2b vacuform kit (can't remember the manufacturer). I once separated the parts from the plastic fret. If that could be a help for your project, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 01:01:40 AM »
This is modelling of the highest order.  :o
Superb!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online ondra

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 02:36:38 AM »
Wow, this is a spectacular piece of modelling, Andreas! Your progress so far is really breathtaking!

As Germans say - weltklasse! ;)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline UFAG

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 06:08:19 AM »
Oef....beautifull work on this one, and some good photografy as well..!!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
Borsos,

I see you used the FE2b 'early' version of the WNW kit. Is there anything on sprue H i might want? Should i prefer it to the late Fee? the reason I ask is although I already have the early Fee in my stash, it will be the bus Fred Libby made ace in as a gunner. (If you haven't read his memoir "Horses Don't Fly," I highly recommend it). I would expect the 'early' version to sell out first.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »
Hi Jeff,

the reason why I went with the 'early' boxing is the Trafford Jones undercarriage in that box, the 'late' version only contains the V-Struts. But I wouldn't be too pessimistic about the availability of both kits. It seems as if not too many people agree in seeing the Fee as one of the most beautiful WNW kits ;). I think if you'd like to get the H-Sprue with the Trafford Jones undercarriage it would be a good idea to send an email to the WNw customer service and to ask for purchasing a separate sprue. I did that in the past one or two times (with their Albatros and Rumpler offerings I think) and it always went perfectly. They are very helpful. As the Fe2d either had an Oleo or a Trafford Jones undercarriage and neither is included in the "late" boxing, I think you'd need that sprue. But I don't know for sure if the Oleo and the TJ- u/c share any parts, so probabely you could use the one of your early boxing for the Fred Libby Fee and the other for your Fe2d conversion?
"Horses don't fly" then, I never heared about it. Thank you very much for that hint!!
Best regards
Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:39 AM »
ok i'll get an 'early' boxing if they're still available when i'm caught up on all the kits that are likely to go extinct. i *need*--as in, i'll die if i don't get--the Eindecker in which Udet got his first kill and Barker's Snipe, so i'm optimistic.

Got the Cross & Cockade/RAF Museum FE2b/d book, it arrived today. this is probably the best book on a single aircraft type i've ever seen. it's jaw-dropping. Of the rest of the books you've got, are any of them essential beyond the Windsock?

Libby's book is also available as an audiobook btw. that's how i 'read' it. the 'd' i may build as Harold E. Hartney's, if his books are good. just started reading him. if not, i'll pick an ace with a gaudy scoreboard (there are a couple, the Fee was a formidable beast).

Offline Borsos

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »
me and my wallet both know this "needing as in 'i'll die if I don't get it'" just too well...
I totally agree on the quality of the C&C book, it is just amazing. That with and with the Windsock datafile on the Fe2d I think you are well equipped. Both other datafiles contain an abundance of Information, but are of course just dealing with the Fe2b variant. And I don't think that I would buy the Osprey title again, too less information on that special Fe2d variant.
 I don't say that there are no questions left: The actual cockpit details are frequently more an 'educated guesswork' than real knowledge, but that's nothing new in WWI modelling. And sadly I didn't find any valuable information on the exact mounting of the engine and on the new fuel tank, therefore I covered that area with an engine cover...
Good luck with that project, the more I think about it the more I am thinking about picking it up again...
Best regards
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
looking forward to your resuming this build, whenever you're up for it, both because it's a magnificent project in its own right, and for the obvious selfish reasons ;)

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
Astonishing work.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2018, 01:41:16 AM »
Hey Borsos!

I've been researching, and hit my first dilemma: the airframe i want to build, A3, had a 250 HP engine. the Eagle is 266-375hp.

have you seen anything in your reference materials to showing if they looked different? can i use the WNW engine?