Author Topic: Fe2d A1959 (WNW Conversion)  (Read 23357 times)

Bughunter

Re: Fe2d A6378 or A1959 (WNW Conversion)
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 03:06:51 AM »
How could I miss this? I will follow now!
Cool, looks like a two seater DH-2 without a rotary engine ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 04:37:17 AM »
Superb moulding and correction work there Andreas. Seeing you make this in a larger scale is going to prove very helpful to me when I come to scratch build mine. The cockpit area was one where I have been having some problems in getting enough details - you have been most helpful there.

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 06:25:59 AM »
Outstanding work Borsos.  Really looking forward to your progress/treatment on this beauty.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 04:31:13 AM »
Thank you for your kind words Rick, Juan Frank and Stephen!

Stephen, I must say that also in my case the cockpit area leaves some questions for me, but I did my very best on the base of the available sources and 'educated guess'. Especially the dashboard is just my interpretation of a single photo that shows quite complex and confusing details.

I went through the first painting phase now.
The PC-10 is not the final shade. I used the radiator part to try out some comercially available PC-10 shades, like Drooling Bulldog (much too dark for my taste), MRP PC-10 late and PC-8. I'll mix both shades and add some drops from the PC-12 bottle. Then I think it should look like I want it.

The engine is the WNW Rolls Royce straight from the sprue. There are the instructions for a RR Mk. VIII or later online on the WNW homepage, but a good picture of the early Mk. III / V as well. and all necessary parts are on the sprue. Additional detail painting and some wiring will follow when the engine is mounted on its bars.
And because the oils still need annoyingly long time to dry, I went on with the propeller. I made a wooden one my usual way out of my collection of veneer. Here I used some darker grained wood (cherry?). Since I carve and sand my own propellers, this became one of my most favoured jobs building a plastic airplane. I simply love working with wood...
Fresh from the bench
and with some shots of Gunze clear orange, clear yellow and Future
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ondra

Re: Fe2d A1959 (WNW Conversion)
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 04:53:15 AM »
Wow, there is some solid piece of modelling going on here, Borsos!

Great work so far, I will be following this one with great interest.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
Awesome work! Your wood tones on the plasic parts and the prop are amazing!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:16:25 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »
Awesome work! Your wood ones on the plasic parts and the prop are amazing!
RAGIII
Could not agree more, especially with the wooden propeller, a work of art.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 01:37:23 PM »
    Coming together beautifully Borsos, and that prop is pure "magic". Having done a few of my own I appreciate the delicate work involved, particularly on a four bladed one. My compliments, that's lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »
Thank you Ondra, Rick, Juan and Lance!

Here's some minor progress on the prop

The pilot's seat (a PE back from HGW)

the radiator (some profiles depict it a brass color, but the b/w photos made me go with PC-10)

the wheels

and the finished dashboard (the left side is proven by a photo, but on the right side I only could make out the big device. The rest is educated guess according to the Fe2b dashboard.)

Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »
Gorgeous work on the radiator painting, seat, and the panel! This is continuing to be a work of art! The prop is stunning to say the least!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »
That panel is incredible! excellent job.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 01:24:27 AM »
Astonishing work on every detail, I love the propeller carving, I'd like to know more about the techinique you use, it's perfect!

Antonio

Offline Borsos

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
Thank you very much for commenting, Rick, Ian and Antonio!

Antonio, for making my wooden props I go the well known way - I have  no new ideas or extra techniques: I had bought some veneer of different woods, each about 0.5-0.6 mm thick. I choose the suitable wood color and glue the reqired amount of layers using white glue and a vice. When building a four-bladed prop it is important to glue the veneer strips crossed. When everything has cured i glue the paper copy of the desired prop on top, drill the hole for the prop shaft and roughly cut the outlines of the prop using a scroll saw. the rest is sanding, sanding, sanding... after I acchieve the desired shape of the blades I use some steel wool to smoothen the prop and give it several (at least five) shots of future, tinted with Gunzes clear yellow or orange. 

Meanwhile I finished the interior (minus the armament and the seat belts). In the end I decided to go with the oval shaped fuel tank of the Fe2b, as nothing will be seen of it once the fuselage is closed and the engine is installed...

and I started to rework the outside of the nacelle to fit Fe2d standards. Upper nacelle half is cut to shape but the surface detail is that of the Fe2b, lower part is already reworked according the WDF plans and photos. A1959 has two bumps on the front of the nacelle, probabely after a rough landing with a nose over. I am playing around with the thought to create a diorama around that...

Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 11:49:41 PM »
Thanks Borsos for  reminding the veneer technique!

Antonio

Offline Borsos

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
Thanks Borsos for  reminding the veneer technique!

Antonio

Lance once has started a detailed "how to" thread: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=282.0
Barbusse.
Remarque.