Author Topic: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144  (Read 38342 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »
Ondra,
     Your "oil soaking" effect is excellent! Can you share the details? What mix or colour, consistency, application?? I am just about ready to try some staining on my Fokker E.V, and need some help!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ondra

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2017, 11:29:42 PM »
Hi Lance,

many thanks, I am glad you like the effect.

The frist layer of oil was a mix of burnt umber, burnt sienna and greyish green (mixed from dark cobalt blue, naples yellow, titanium white and furnace black) with a bit of fast drying agent added, the consistency was rather thin. I made small dots on the lower edge of the sidewalls, which I afterwards "pulled up" over the semi gloss surface. Afterwards I took a stiff brush and blended the paint into the surface.

In the second step, I took van Dyck's brown and made basically the same process, only this time I applied a smaller amount of oil paint with lower number of dots and the paint was used without thinning, I just put it on a cardboard before to soak off the linseed oil.

As visible on the photos, the soaking is stronger along the tube construction, so I made the effect stronger there.

Hope this helps, in case of questions I will be happy to give you more details.

Cheers

Ondra
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:06:37 PM by ondra »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »
Thanks very much, Ondra. I'll give it a try, this is very helpful!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »
This is an ideal job for soldering, which will make a strong and neat joint.
Exact my thoughts! And you know, I'm a fan of soldering!

Otherwise impressive work!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ondra

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 01:49:38 AM »
Thanks for the point, Frank, I will follow your advices and try to solder the undercarriage, I have started studying the tutorials already!

Last two photos of the cockpit before I close the fuselage and it all disappears forever. :)

The wings and tailplanes are now masked and ready for the surfacer to create the rib tapes. With a bit of practice it goes pretty fast, took me about two hours in total.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2017, 04:44:53 AM »
I have often wondered how you make wing ribs in this scale - I had not thought of using liquid filler and rubbing down - a brilliant idea. The rest of the model including the oil stains and the cockpit look exceptional - especially in tis scale. I agree with the others about the brass and soldering, although I have never soldered either. However I do know that it is a metal that will not glue well at all.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2017, 11:36:14 PM »
Well my friend, You are making quick work on the wing ribs! Amazing build as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ondra

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2017, 09:59:52 PM »
Thank you for your nice words, Rick and Stephen, they mean a lot to me!

Today I removed the masks from the wings and sanded the ribs with a very fine sandpaper (2000). The result looks acceptable.

And I decided to follow the advices I was given here and ordered a soldering iron, tomorrow I will start practicing on what I have learned from the tutorial videos. Many thanks for the hint with soldering. ;)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 01:09:14 AM »
 The wings look great Ondra. I am sure you will become a Miniature Soldering Master in no time.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 04:17:04 AM »
Very fine work on the ribs, Ondra!  All so even and straight!  I tried this technique on a 1/48 Gunbus with rather dodgy results.  I'm extremely impressed!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
Very fine work on the ribs, Ondra!  All so even and straight!  I tried this technique on a 1/48 Gunbus with rather dodgy results.  I'm extremely impressed!
Cheers,
Bud

I couldn't agree more. This technique looks really great and I'll definitely have to check its 'adabtability' to larger scales. Thanks for letting us witness another masterpiece's making!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ondra

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2017, 09:39:06 PM »
Many thanks for your nice words, Rick, Bud and Borsos!

Bud and Borsos: should you need any help, just let me know, will be happy to support!

Today I made first attempts on soldering the undercarriage, I will need more practice, but all in all it is definitely a very promising method.

Many thanks to all for this tip.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline ondra

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
A bit more progress today, the fuselage is closed and sanded, next up is one more coat of surfacer for final check.

I started thinking about the best method to make the engine cowling, so I turned this piece on my Proxxon and will start experimenting with heated plastic. Unfortunately I do not have a vacuforming machine, so should you have a better idea, all suggestions are warmly welcome.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
Beautiful work, Ondra, I love following your 1/144 scratchwips!!!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2017, 04:09:52 AM »
I am not sure whether it would work in the micro-scale but I mould my parts using the push or plunge mould technique. If you can cut and carve wood it is an easy enough method and there are various descriptions given (also using materials other than wood) on other sites. If you are interested pm me and I will send you a link.

Stephen.