Author Topic: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144  (Read 38338 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »
"Holly Crapola Batman, this guy has superpowers".  Still in awe!!!   ;D

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »
"Holly Crapola Batman, this guy has superpowers".  Still in awe!!!   ;D

Juan has written all that needs to be written!

Stephen.

Offline ondra

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2017, 03:07:25 AM »
:) Many thanks for your generous words, Juan and Stephen! They are highly appreciated.

Im no good with brush, but painting the construction went pretty smoothly, oil paints were probably the right choice, as any mishap is very easy to correct. I also applied the first layer of oil paints to show the oil soaking on the cockpit sidewalls. Not there yet, so I will let it cure and continue.

IMG_1931 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1930 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1926 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1923 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

While waiting for the oil paints to cure, I am playing around with details for the cockpit.

IMG_1917 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1920 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1934 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1938 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

I love playing with details. :)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline ondra

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2017, 02:18:16 AM »
I decided to rework the propeller, as on the previous one the lamination was not visible at all. This time I skipped the oil paint and only sprayed a thin coat of Drooling Bulldog mahogany wood stain. Looks much better, unfortunately I was not able to photograph it in a way showing the lamination properly. :) I have to work on my photographer skills... Currently I am trying to figure out the way to make the undercarriage, as the construction on the E.I was rather complicated. I will start with brass wire and the photopolymeric glue, keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline ondra

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
This morning I started working on the undercarriage. As I have the rule that each new build has to feature something new, this time I want to try a new method of creating constructions of thin brass rod. :)

I glued small stripes of styrene on the front view plan to serve as spacers to prevent the brass rods from contact with the paper, so they can be glued together. Afterwards I used small drops of white glue to hold the rods in the correct position. Once all rods were in place, I glued them together using photopolymeric glue (great stuff, btw.).

IMG_1945 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

Once cured, I just took a brush with water and dissolved the white glue to get the part loose.

IMG_1947 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

I will need more practice on this, but it is not bad for the first try.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »
This is an ideal job for soldering, which will make a strong and neat joint. I think your glued joints will fall apart very easily

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline ondra

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »
Fair point, Richard, thanks for mentioning it. As I have no experience with soldering, I decided to try this method as plan A. Should it not be useable (which the future will show), I will go for soldering as plan B.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
Give your structure a very slight twist, I bet the joints will fail. It is best to know this now, not when you have finished the model

The glue cannot bond properly to the brass

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
All of your latest work is up to your usual standards Ondra! As small as this is it may be that your glue joints will hold. I hope it works out for you!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ondra

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2017, 02:16:28 AM »
Many thanks for your nice comment, Rick, glad to have you on board and watching. :)

Richard's point is definitely valid, so I will watch some soldering tutorials and give it a try.

I moved on slightly with the cockpit today, I added the rigging on the sidewalls and glued several elements in place. I will add a second layer of oil paints to the canvas as I do not like the current look of the oil soaking.

IMG_1954 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1953 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1951 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1949 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

Cheers

Ondra

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2017, 02:21:50 AM »
Better and Better!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2017, 03:40:40 AM »
As usual, Ondra, your work is beyond amazing!  Your details are extraordinary!  I wish I could see them in person.  Carol and I are planning to cruise the Vltava in the next few years.  Maybe we could drop by and see them then ;).
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ondra

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 03:51:29 AM »
Many thanks, Rick! I keep on learning from the best and this forum gives me a lot of opportunities to learn from top modellers, including your person!

@Bud: That is great news! When you come to Czechia, for sure let me know and I will be happy to call you guests! ;)

Offline Borsos

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2017, 05:26:39 AM »
Incredible what you are doing here. Really surpases my vocabulary to find the propper words. A Swiss watchmaker is an amateur compared to your skills in micromodelling.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ondra

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
Many thanks, Borsos, the parallel with the Swiss watchmaker is really a big compliment! ;)

The wings are now polished and ready for rib tapes masking.

IMG_1959 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

I also added the second layer of oil paints on the cockpit sidewalls to simulate the oil soaking, now I like it much better.

IMG_1961 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr
IMG_1964 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

Cheers

Ondra