Author Topic: Roden 1:72 Albatros D.Va  (Read 4656 times)

Offline IanB

Roden 1:72 Albatros D.Va
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »
I've just realised that I have a couple of builds going on which I haven't posted here! So to correct that, here is the first:

A little more done on the interior. I've finished the engine, scratchbuilt the ammo bins, fuel tanks, instrument panel and rear MG mount, and added seatbelts (PE), the linkage for the control column and the cockpit floor. The seat and rear belts will be added after the fuselage is buttoned up, then the decal fun can start...... ;)
 I've also removed the moulded fairing around the spent ammo chute and will add the separate chutes when the fuselage is together and the guns are in place.

Ian

Offline IanB

Re: Roden 1:72 Albatros D.Va
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »
It's been a long month - busy at work, and days off with a screwed up back, meaning I couldn't even make use of the extra time to make any advance on this project! Slow progress indeed, but progress nevertheless.
 I painted the forward fuselage to represent the wood. First using Uschi's decals, then, after seeing the pics of the TVAL replica and how the grain is barely visible, stripping them and just painting with acrylics. I also managed to get the rear fuselage decals done (after 5 attempts!). The Printscale Bavarian decals are VERY fragile and I went through 3 attempts before deciding to spray them with Testors sealer. That worked a treat and after one more failure due to my stupidity and cutting the wrap with the diamonds facing fore-aft instead of up-down, I succeeded in achieving a result I'm happy with. Only the rudder to do now....
 I almost destroyed the whole thing when it popped out of the clamp...the shock of the clamp hitting the fuselage broke the engine, upper fuel tank and seat loose, and broke open the seam at the extreme front end under the nose. Fortunately I've managed to get everything back in place and a little filler should be all that's required under the nose....I hope

I hadn't realised how awful the painting of the metal parts on the nose is until looking at this pic, this will be corrected!

Ian

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
A little more progress on this one. I know it won't be finished by the build end date, but that's not important.... The fuselage is now complete except for the elevator control wires, windshield, and drilling the stub wings for the rigging. I made the ammo chutes and the top cover panel between the guns from scrap. The black band supplied with the decals was too short, and broke anyway. I fitted it with the gap underneath, then masked the front edge and hand painted it with artists acrylic. The match is perfect, even the sheen is the same - the join is literally invisible! I've added PE control horns and drilled the locations for the control wires which will be fitted next. A start needs to be made on the wings now....

Ian

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:27:32 AM »
  Ian,
Another outstanding project my old friend. Absolutely love those Bavarian markings.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
She's looking very smart indeed Ian, you guy's work wonders with 1:72!!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
It's hard to believe that this model is 1:72 scale, you blokes do incredible work in this scale, I love the scheme you have used, very eye catching and very well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
With the house move out of the way and a couple of other projects completed, I've managed to get back to this build!

I removed the machine guns and replaced the cooling jackets with Part PE ones from a D.III that I have in the stash - it's an OEFFAG one with the extended cowling so won't be needing them. I've also got the wings painted, the lower ones are fitted - finally! It took three attempts, each time I removed them because I wasn't happy with the fit. The centre section was way too deep top to bottom so I had to remove some plastic to get it to the correct thickness. It's something I should have done before but I didn't pay enough attention to it at the time!

I also made up the radiator shutters for under the top wing and will fit the handle when it's all together.

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Beautiful job so far, Ian.  Love that scheme.  It's one I hope to tackle in 1/48 scale.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Yorki1960

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Awwww gawd after seeing this great build, makes my effort look like its been put together by a 3 year old, think I will go back to lego bricks...

Fantastic job, wish I had half your skill.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
Awwww gawd after seeing this great build, makes my effort look like its been put together by a 3 year old, think I will go back to lego bricks...

Fantastic job, wish I had half your skill.

I feel the same!!!!

Unbelievable fantastic work - looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »
pretty amazing, Ian...I like that rad detail

Offline IanB

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »
Yorki - I appreciate the compliment, thanks! Believe me, there are other 1:72 modellers on here who make me feel the same way...I've picked up many tips and ideas from them, so please feel free to "steal" anything you think may be useful!

Having a little trouble trying to get the top wing mounted, I'll update when I get it sorted.

Ian

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 06:05:50 PM »
Admirable wor Ian. it's hard to believe this is only 1/72nd  Booful ;)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
You are doing a great job on the 'micro' scale Albie Ian, love the paintwork.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline IanB

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
I finally got the upper wing in place. The forward cabane was too long, resulting in it being either too far forward on the fuselage, or too low. They were shortened slightly and bent backwards a little to locate where they should and all seems in order.....

I must admit, I'm pretty pleased with the rad shutters.... :)

Ian