Author Topic: 1/32 Fokker EV/DVIII decals  (Read 18844 times)

Offline Rob_Owens

Re: 1/32 Fokker EV/DVIII decals
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »
Just ordered both sheets, under the end of June deadline to take advantage of the bargain price. . . Now I'll have to invest in some beautiful Aviattic 4-color Loz.  Poor me! :'(

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 05:30:09 AM »
Hello Rowan, first of all I hope you are in the rudest of rude health sir?
A question: from the profiles it appears that you may be opting for an olive/brown wing colouring - I remember the declaration on the Aerodrome forum by DSA regarding the use of streaked coloured stain which differed for top and under surface of the wing and wondered which you favour? I personally, with respect to those who put the debate forward, find it difficult when folk, well intended and studious as they may be, make what are clearly intended as definitive pronouncements on WWI colour schemes. Unless we KNOW what colours are, it's all guesswork, with a varying degree of education. I sort of opt for blissful ignorance...

Yours, as ever 

Health now all systems go, thanks for asking - heart has new plumbing and big old tumour and right kidney now removed with no signs of any spreading of nastiness, diabetes well in check and no lasting ill-effects from the toxic shock syndrome; I'm back on the bike and knocking off 15 to 30 kms most days and feeling ten years younger. Happy as the proverbial pig in manure!

I share your antipathy towards unequivocal statements on WWI colours without sufficient factual evidence (see the late great Carl Sagan's quote below...). There has been too much of that in the past but I detect a more cautious approach nowadays. Certainly Ray Rimell has always urged caution when interpreting WWI colours and the same attitude is clear in WNW booklets.

As to the EV wing colours I find the brown/green upper surface and violet/blue under surface streaking with wood stains/dyes on plywood to be very beguiling, although the possibility of mixing green and brown and blue and violet to give a uniform streaked colour above and below is also quite  a logical interpretation. Where it differs from the streaking practice on fabric surfaced Fokkers is in the use of wood stain on plywood, of course, which gives its own particular effect. I am of the tentative view that the replacement wings shipped to the front after the grounding of the original EVs and used in subsequent D.VIII new production aeroplanes might have had a single colour streaked finish top and bottom - olive green top and blue lower - as a means of easily differentiating between the two production wings (surely something pilots would have wanted) and as a further cost reduction (two stains instead of four and less labour to apply) by the notoriously cost-conscious Fokker. EVs supplied to Poland would almost certainly have been fitted with the new-build wings and they could have had such a finish, but that is all pure guess-work and extrapolation, as I'll be making very clear in the booklets for the two sets.

Ray the printer tells me that the decals are on schedule and I should get them in the next week or so. The jigs for wing and undercarriage fitting are now done and tested and the booklets nearly done, so we should get the sets out to pre-order customers in mid July, as originally promised.  The special offer for both decal sets expires tomorrow midnight, by the way! My order for a WNW Oberusel engine for the Mikro Mir kit has just gone off, so I want to get building my own EV soon - Looking forward to some good old-fashioned plastic whittling!

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:36 AM »
   Great news Rowan, good health has no substitute and I'm very pleased to hear yours has been restored! Also great news on the D.VIII Decals, I am looking forward to getting my hot hands on them. As for your comment:
  "Looking forward to some good old-fashioned plastic whittling!"
   I can absolutely assure you, you will get that and more.........mine weighs at least a pound less then when I opened the box and there are shavings all over our house, the fit is somewhat less then optimum!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »
So glad to see that you're in the pink again, my old friend!  Now I can resume pestering you as to the whereabouts of your Pup that started it all and, by the way, when will the first Camel sheets appear?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
Hi, Rowan: Gooood to have you back on board again!!
"See" you at my next order from Pheon Decals ( no, not for the Fokker E.V, which is not my cup of tea..),
Richard

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 01:56:53 AM »
Hello Rowan, first of all I hope you are in the rudest of rude health sir
Yours, as ever 

Health now all systems go, thanks for asking ...I'm back on the bike and knocking off 15 to 30 kms most days and feeling ten years younger. Happy as the proverbial pig in manure!

Rowan

Brilliant news, the best of the lot. Peter Sagan will be doubtless looking over his shoulder in fear and trepidation over the next fortnight, just in case you fancy having a pop at the green jersey...

Take care, very best wishes to you both xx

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 12:55:57 AM »
I just received and Paid my invoice. Thanks Rowan I am looking forward to using the decals and Jigs!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 01:02:33 AM »
   Same, Rowan and Sabine. Thanks for all you do for our Hobby! :) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Radarman

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 03:06:33 AM »
Got my invoice too. I really look forward to receiving these decals. Enjoy the remaining summer.
We are all victims of history!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
Just paid, looking forward to receiving these beauties (and others ordered)....  :D

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
Glad you're feeling 10 years younger, Rowan. That means 10 extra years of your lovely work! BINGO!

Von B  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
Fantastic news about your health status Rowan, marvelous what a good tune-up and grease and oil will do for the old ticker, my replumbing was done 20 years ago and it is still going strong.

Paid my invoice yesterday so looking forward to getting the two sets of decals.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
whoa didn't know about your surgery until now. glad it all went well and you're getting your strength back. health is the only currency one can use to buy more time...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 04:30:05 AM »
This is indeed wonderful news about your health, Rowan. I was so happy to read it.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:47 PM »
Rowan
So pleased to hear your health is now tip-top. You'll need the old ticker to be in good shape to endure the excitement of all those rugby internationals you'll no doubt be watching.  :D

Looking forward to your future decal releases.

Cheers

Syd