Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24  (Read 20274 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 03:46:16 AM »
Hi Przemo! Thank You for the kind comments! Yes, it took a bit of effort, but it does look a bit closer to the original. I was considering adding the row of rivets around the join in the two metal sections, and had a look through all the photos I could find (Ray Rimmel says this is the way to go) and then it struck me that the prototypes and early examples had very prominent rivets, but the later production machines had much less visible rivets, sometimes none at all.  This may be due to improved production techniques and skill. Then it struck me that if we were sure a cowling was overpainted, the rivets were just about invisible ... Do your own check and you may see what I mean... So this black cowling should have very little of the rivetting visible. It makes some sense, as a roughening up with sandpaper and then a coat of paint will hide a lot... This puts another nail in the coffin of the Voss yellow cowling... ( Did I say that?? I could start WW3...) as the rivets are quite prominent in his "face" cowling...

Hi Rick! My problems with Fake-Bucket are getting worse... I don't have back-ups for this thread or any other posts I have made on this site... So when the photos go down, that's it! (BTW, what they want for a years subscription would keep a family in Africa in food for a month...) so I'm pretty down about it... I only saved modelling photos, but that's bad enough... But thank You for keeping in touch and the kind words...

I haven't done much, just checked the fit of the tail-plane and scraped away the underside where it lies on the fuselage to make it fit better, seen in the photo. Also the separation line between the elevator and the tail-plane at the balance part is missing - here I'm busy scribing (needs to be neatened up!) the lower one, the upper one shows where it's missing! I also need to sand down those connecting blocks on the underside of the undercarriage wing - they are much too thick!

Regards, Marc

Offline Monty

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 02:15:54 AM »
I've got to admit I'm more than a bit disheartened looking back on this thread - without photos it seems things never happened... It also makes the narrative strange at times now, and I'm pretty sure, many bloggers like me who have lost photos for ever are contemplating stopping abruptly just there, it seems worthless now... So I thought about it and decided to rephotogaph all the bits up to where I've got now, there has even been a little progress with some weathering and washes here and there, and consider this as a new starting point... Also my new hosting site now wants money, not the daylight robbery and extortion of our favourite one, but substantial in our terms... I will have to discuss that with Vanessa....

Anyway, Sunny Side Up! Here is where we are now....

I hope it's not too confusing! It is quite a substantial model and needs more than a few subassemblies! I think the firewall is missing... Need to find that...

Regards and Thanks for checking in...

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 02:51:04 AM »
I am glad you decided to carry on. All of the sub assemblies look excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 02:44:16 AM »
Kind of back from the SOD, I suppose, but some progress:

[/url]IMG_7142 by Marc Cilliers, on Flickr[/img]

Offline Monty

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2018, 03:17:59 AM »
I'm really battling with images: This is a little large but there I hope:

The Engine has a few washes and some brass and looks more interesting, it needs plug leads, I think! The underside of the cover on the undercarriage spreader bar has the funny blocks removed, I will leave it like this as I have no idea of what the detail here should be! And lastly I am dry-fitting the bits and pieces to the fuselage frame to check clearances: A tight fit and some cutting, filing and fitting needed!

Regards,

Marc

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
I've been missing this thread and unfortunately cannot see the pictures on photobucket, but looking at these summary images you made an exquisite work on this Dr.I. And the all black Jacob's planes featured a captivating livery, so it isn't so bad having the Clerget engine in the box. I'm looking forward to see the completed model.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »
Always glad to see a model removed from the SOD. 

Engine looks great!

GAz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2018, 06:45:29 AM »
Nicely  done engine. I am glad to see you working on this one again!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »
Well, we're on the go with this beastie again! Now for some decals - and probably the only decals I'll use on the build! The aircraft instrument decals for the instruments scattered all over the cockpit come from the kit decal sheet. They looked a bit iffy but after settling them down with lots of decal softener they look fair - still need some gloss for the lenses... The Axial decals from the kit are really awful, so I went to a spare WNW decal sheet (OK I know it's 1/32 and not 1/24!) and used their beautiful decals for the prop - the size difference really isn't that noticeable... Oh, I did loose the compass (upper right in the photo) and scratched a new one with gimbal....

Regards,

Marc

Offline Gene K

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »
Glad you're still on this one!! Appreciate all the details for when/if I get around to mine.

Gene K

Offline Beto

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2018, 05:47:17 PM »
I hate to point this now you have already done all that work, but... The Dr.1 did not have an instrument panel. Just a few individual instruments scattered around the cockpit. That is one of the errors of the Merit kit.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 06:19:58 AM »
I hate to point this now you have already done all that work, but... The Dr.1 did not have an instrument panel. Just a few individual instruments scattered around the cockpit. That is one of the errors of the Merit kit.

A shame that Merit missed out on their 1/24th releases with either sloppy research or lack of caring! What you have done to this kit is Stunning!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 05:45:20 AM »
Thank You Beto, Gene and Rick for your comments - good to get the response! Just to reiterate there are no existent original Dr1's and no real original plans either, so cockpit details are necessarily vague, and yes, no instrument panel except on reproductions! Yes, I'm back on this one. I stalled a bit over the seat-belts, where am I going to get something realistic? Here in darkest Africa I'm not going to get much aftermarket, so I have to improvise my own... These came from the wrapping round the top of a wine bottle (confessions, confessions) and the lack of buckles is obvious, but the exact appearance of these belts is vague - so I simply let them all appear to droop to the floor so you can't see the clasps and buckles - OK, a cheat, but often seen on aircraft up to this day.... The fiddly details and instruments are coming together, scattered all around the cockpit...

I hope the pics explain more than I can say! There's quite a bit to do in the cockpit still, I hope I get time to do it!

Regards,

Marc

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
Marc,
      It's great to see you back at this again! As Rick has said it's a shame Merit missed the mark (OOPs, pardon the pun!) on accuracy on this Kit but you are doing a wonderful job on it. I understand your efforts, I'm presently struggling with a "less then stellar example of a scale model aircraft Kit" as well and, I suspect like you, am enjoying making it into a decent model. Above all else you are enjoying the experience, which IMHO is mostly what it's all about. Great work thus far, and I'm looking forward to more!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 06:49:48 AM »
Just been reading through tis - you realy are turning a poor kit into a first class model. I like the idea of allowing the seat belt to drop to the floor to hide the missing buckles - must remember that trick i future!

Stephen.