Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24  (Read 20073 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:28 AM »
Hi Richard, Thanks for checking in again! Just to say again, I do like your modelling and inspiration!

To my great surprise my friend Adrian Smith brought a wonderful DR1 in 1/48th from the Dragon kit to our Club meeting - lovely model, the light wasn't great, but I hope the pics show something... the colour scheme I want to do!

Well, I suppose you think this project is dead, and I did lose and then stomp on the rudder assembly, but I paintakingly found the bits, added a few and put it together again, it took a while, only myself to blame... I think this will do, 1/24 shows every error... Needs paint soon!

Hopefully more progress soon!
Regards,
Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
MOnty,
Glad you went back and fixed the rudder control parts  ;D Your DR1 is moving along nicely, just have patience and you will have a very nicely done DR1!
RAGIII

PS: I like the wood tones on the floor!!
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 12:11:23 AM »
Jacobs also had that cool "God of the North wind" scheme.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
I'm really enjoying this build Marc, thanks for sharing.

I must say, however, it's so disappointing to so many issues with the kit itself.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
 Marc,
I'm quite happy to see that this project isn't D.O.A . Excellent update my friend with special cudo's for an outstanding wood painting.Keep them coming.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Borsos

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
Great to see you back on this!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Monty

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 03:22:41 AM »
Thank You Andreas, Gregory, Zac, Scott and Rick for your input - all the help and encouragement is appreciated! I think it's inevitable that one part in every model goes missing or gets broken, so I just needed to get on and fix it! I'm playing around with colour and fitting all the parts into the fuselage at the moment. The larger the scale the greater the need for colour variation, representing shade and highlights and variations in hue... I'm learning lots in this scale and just fudging some things as I go along, any help is welcome! I can see here that the framework needs a darker wash, for instance. The seat is dry-fitted and I'm sure I can install it much later after I drape the seat belts over it. The seat definitely needs some attention with oils and a wash! The most reliable references say the seat was covered in black leather...

I am also working on assembling the wings, and the endless job of filling and fixing some really long seams with lots of happy sanding.. That's what I tell myself!
Regards,
Marc

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Great to see an update Monty! I recently saw photos on Facebook of 425/17's seat but it's natural silver - any leather is long gone, so it's hard to say how representative it is today.

A friend of mine has a DR.I replica painted in that Jacobs scheme so I'm doing my Revell 1/28 kit in those colours.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »
I am really impressed with the wood side framing colors! Nicely done. The seat was originally,(Factory), aluminum covered in fabric. I am certain many were covered with Leather in the field.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:21:14 PM by RAGIII »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 03:45:15 AM »
The subtle colour differences you mention would certainly be important in this scale but I am sure that you will be able to replicate them. Working in this scale does give the opportunity to add a great deal of extra detail - even if some of them have to be fudged, but who could tell? Not most modellers!

A really interesting thread - looking forward to reading more.

Stephen.

Offline Monty

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 05:16:47 AM »
Hi Zac! Thanks for looking in! That Revell 1/28 kit is still a goodie after all these years - well worth build. Consider a Clerget engine for Jacob's machine - but in the spare machine, who knows really?
Hi Rick, thank you for the kind comments! I base the black leather on an Allied report of a crashed machine - but fabric has been documented too! As a famous ace with a well used machine or two, I'm sure Jacob's mechanics worked some extras into his planes! Without real airframes or better evidence, I'm happy to take a guess or two...
Hi Stephen, yes your comments are spot on! I will try to add as much detail as is practical, but there's not much in the way of after-market or extras in this scale yet! Mostly I'll have to do with the kit parts...

Well, I did get round to finishing off the cowling, adding the wire retainer around the rear trailing edge, smoothing things down and undercoating in Tamiya Enamel Titanium Silver - such an interesting colour! This will work well, I think, if I need to do chipping etc...

Regards,

Marc

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
What a lovely cowling Marc. I am sure, WNW one will look worse when/if they decide to release Dr.I!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
Outstanding Marc!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2017, 06:43:20 AM »

This was just to get an image posted via Imageshack as Photobucket dumped a load of water on me...

Regards,
Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
Nice! As for PB, I am wondering why even after E Mailing them as directed on my account to say I want to delete my account everything is still visible on my threads. No Matter as I have now got a Flickr and another hosting site recommended by Des.  8)
RAGIII