Author Topic: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24  (Read 20265 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker Dr.1 Merit 1/24
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 03:48:21 AM »
Looking great to date! Sometimes the simple solutions are best and turning the bulkhead around was simply brilliant! I would have probably sanded the offending part. Yours was a much better solution!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 05:55:48 AM »
Nice work!!

Steve

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »
Excellent!

vB  8)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »
Hi Rick, thanks for that, yeah, I think it will work well! Hi Rittmeister von Buckles, Thank You for checking in!

Well, a little progress, baby steps! The wingtip skids as moulded (Tubes turned down at the end) look nothing like any photograph or good plan I have seen, so they were attacked viciously by the good old scalpel and this was the result; The end product of much scraping above and the original offending article below:

Not perfect, but it will do!

Then I started throwing some paint (always a sign of progress) at the wooden bits, this is a base coat, lots of texturing to come!

I'm glad the prop looks so smooth, that was a worry... Hopefully some progress soon!

Regards,

Marc

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 03:26:39 AM »
Hi Everyone! Once again just a small step - some Alclad on the metal bits. I seems to have a blueish "steely" colour to it, but not as smooth as I would like - no matter - I think the texture may help in this large scale. Some washes etc will make a big difference! Excuse the poor photo taken on the bench - it's colder and wet here...

Regards,

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »
Great progress Marc! I am looking forward to seeing those wood tones!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 04:18:48 AM »
Hi Rick! Yes, the fun part comes with the wood tones, never the same twice... here my W&N burnt umber oil mixed with a tad of Liquin and white spirit over the acrylic.. it makes it very "workable" but dries in a couple of days... Sorry about the messy bench, but quite interesting to see the imitation on real wood!

I also had a chance to spray the interior, this colour isn't right to my eye, far to pink and dark, may just go over it with Deck Tan XF-55...

Not much for a long weekend, but something...

Regards,

Marc

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
Hi Everyone! Once again just a small step - some Alclad on the metal bits. I seems to have a blueish "steely" colour to it, but not as smooth as I would like - no matter - I think the texture may help in this large scale. Some washes etc will make a big difference! Excuse the poor photo taken on the bench - it's colder and wet here...

Regards,

Marc

That's a shame about the engine, converting an Oberursel into a Clerget would be a lot easier than going the other way. At least the pushrods and induction tubes were on the back of the Oberursel, making it a bit simpler than a LeRhone

Richard

Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
You are making great progress Marc, what you have achieved so far is looking really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Hi Richard, yes that engine choice is so strange and probably one of the great mysteries... but there are some good close up photos of Josef Jacob's DR.1 with this engine in - maybe that confused Merit/Trumpeter...
Hi Des, Thanks for checking in!
So some more airbrushing and I adjusted the colour of the fabric inside... this is a more neutral color to my eye...

That was Tamiya XF-55, and I shot some XF 76 on the framework at the same time. A colour suggested by WNW for their DVII, note that no genuine DR.1 airframe remains, only repros, so I can get away with a little "interpretation!"

The important crossbar above the seat frames is installed, but only glued on one side so I can spread the frame to install bulkheads seat etc...

Well, a little progress...
Regards,
Marc

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
I'm pretty familiar with at least one of Jakob's DR.1s, I built a version from the Roden kit ages ago:

There seem to have been a handful of Clerget engined DR.1s, Jakobs had at least two variations on his black scheme

Richard

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
Nice job on the fuselage frame Marc.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Your wood grain and the frame are looking great!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 05:06:36 AM »
Wow, Richard, that is a beautiful Triplane! And I do love the dog too... It looks a really accurate representation of what Ray Rimmel calls 450/17 a bit later in it's career when the "Devils Head" had been over-painted. Thanks for posting. Where did you get the Clerget from? I want to do 470/17 which is almost the same, but has simpler crosses... Also less info available so I can take more detail chances!
Thank You for your comments, Des!
Rick, you are too kind! I get lots of inspiration from your builds...

Just a very small detail: The controls miss the aileron wire horns, here shown in white (plasticard additions!). It's worth adding, this will be visible.  The right horn has it's wire going to the left and visa versa... Always remember the aileron control wires are crossed, the elevator control cables cross too, but not the rudder cables...

Regards,
Marc

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
Wow, Richard, that is a beautiful Triplane! And I do love the dog too... It looks a really accurate representation of what Ray Rimmel calls 450/17 a bit later in it's career when the "Devils Head" had been over-painted. Thanks for posting. Where did you get the Clerget from? I want to do 470/17 which is almost the same, but has simpler crosses... Also less info available so I can take more detail chances!

<snip>

Regards,
Marc

That one came from Tom's Modelworks - it's 1:32 and it was the last that he had. It is meant to represent 470/17 which never carried the North Wind head

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46287

I did start making a model of Josef Jakobs to go alongside, I wasn't happy with the face painting so I never finished him.

You have a chance to do a lot more in 1:24, and the parts are conveniently larger

Richard