Author Topic: WNW Jasta 4 Albatros D.V "Polka Dots"  (Read 13607 times)

Offline Wodehouse

Re: WNW Jasta 4 Albatros D.V "Polka Dots"
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »
Thanks so very much all.  The knot solution from the previous page is one I have to touch up.  All that handling of the model doing decals has made the oil paint dots fade to little shadows. 

More to come soon.  I'm a little frightened of the PE stuff I have to do here - how much glue to apply, being careful about scratching through some of the decal and paint layers I've put down in order to get back to a plastic gluing surface, bending PE over compound curves, etc.  I'm just not that experienced with the stuff.  But we'll soldier on through it and hopefully come out well.  Any tips would be most appreciated.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »
Extraordinary work thus far, Matthew!  Your ribbon and application of the Uschi decals are gorgeous.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Oh Matthew,
beautiful work. the engine is a stunner and the wood looks great. Top build.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »
I very much appreciate the positive waves.  Thanks!

Just in case anyone decides to try out my previously stated love of thalo green on the previous page and buy a tube, I need to make a correction.  Don't want to mislead anyone here and have you waste money on my recommendation.  The full name is actually Thalo green (blue shade) that I used, from a 20-year-old tube of Grumbacher Pre-tested I had lying around.  I think straight phthalo/thalo green is slightly different.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 12:51:09 AM »
    The most recent photo (28 Feb) showing the gas tank and engine compartment really capture the quality of your work thus far. I like the weathering effect you've created with the Thalo Green additions and the detail work is superb. Lovely Model so far, and a joy to follow along......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
Very kind, Lance.  Thank you.

I'm going to have to take a little break on this project due to unfortunate circumstances.  I want to do one big clear lacquer gloss coat party all at once, including the wings before decals on those, but I'd like to attach all the PE to the outside of the fuselage first. 

There are lots of things that scare me.  Among them:  Bears, bicycle crashes, vampires, people pointing real guns at me even in jest, senility, house fires, Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata, and attaching photoetch bits to the outside of an Albatros that I've just papered up...

So I ordered a "pick up pencil" from RB Productions to help with this last bit and I'm going to have to wait for it to arrive.  In the meanwhile I've just received the Pfalz D.IIIa, so I can start to make the D.III engine for this plane, but I also want to wait before doing anything big to that for the Taurus bits for it to arrive.  So for now it seems all I can really do is make a hundred or so turnbuckle attachments with the Gaspatch stuff and wire.  Fun.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Such a stunning model - love your work.

I did verdigris on one of my ship models - it was on real copper tiles and I used my own pee to do it much to the disbelief of everyone - but it worked like a charm. Has to be on copper though. Not recommended for plastic.

Question though - what is a "pick up pencil"? Just got a package from RB and it included a white pencil - not ordered - and I have no idea what it is for? Is it a pick up pencil???

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
Hi Alistair.  Thanks much!  The urine solution is funny.  We've got to accomplish our goals somehow!

Yes, it sounds like you got a pick up pencil.  I'm not sure how well it does what it says it does, but I'm hoping I haven't been deceived by the sales pitch. 

If it looks like this...

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_122&products_id=434

...then that's what I think you've got.

Best,
Matthew

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
Coming along beautifully, and as for Vampires, just wear a lot of garlic...   ;)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:09 AM »
   "I'm not sure how well it does what it says it does"

I've had one of these for some time and it's a simple but great idea. The trick is to sharpen it a bit before use to make it tacky, it works like a charm on tiny Photo Etch etc. I think an ordinary "Grease Pencil" (Canada) or "China Marker" might work just as well but for the price this is a good little modelling tool.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aliluke

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
Thanks Matthew
Looks like I got myself a "pick up pencil"! Wonder if it works in my the local pub?...But seriously very kind of RB to include it in my order unasked for and I'll certainly be trying it out on PE.

Will follow with interest your stunning Albatross from here on.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
This is one spectacular Albie build. I am watching the progress with a great interest.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
Coming along beautifully, and as for Vampires, just wear a lot of garlic...   ;)

See, then I scare everything away. :)

I've had one of these for some time and it's a simple but great idea. The trick is to sharpen it a bit before use to make it tacky, it works like a charm on tiny Photo Etch etc. I think an ordinary "Grease Pencil" (Canada) or "China Marker" might work just as well but for the price this is a good little modelling tool.

This just arrived yesterday, but this is good to know.  I saw someone on Youtube using cocktail sticks and Mr Masking Sol Neo, and that looked like another option.

Wonder if it works in my the local pub?

Straightman:  "Why would you want to make models in a pub? It's so dark!"

This is one spectacular Albie build. I am watching the progress with a great interest.

Many thanks.  I've been ogling your excellent work with great interest for years.

So:  Onward and upward.  The Taurus stuff for the D.III arrived earlier than the pick-up pencil or the Aviattic decals, and that dictated my next steps.  This isn't much of a progress report though.  The fact is, the Taurus parts are so fiddly and delicate that it took me 3 days just to get it to a more or less acceptable level of built, so I'm just past the point of doing the Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer coat and not much more. 

Current table mess.  Where's Wally?

I have done preliminary painting on the rocker boxes.  Bertl's pictures in the Engines subforum here show that the rocker boxes have two different metals.  One is a pale brass colour on the bottom and the other a more aluminium sort of affair up top.  All the brass paints in my collection tend to be darkish and vivid, and are some of my least favourite paints to work with.  The only thing that came close to Bertl's pics in my paint menagerie was AK's Duraluminium, which has problems of its own - namely that it instantly separates within even 20 seconds of mixing the stuff, with all the more goldenish hue going down to the bottom of the bottle straight away. 

Nevertheless, I used it as a base tone for the rocker boxes.  It ended up looking not as yellow as I would have wished, so instead of using aluminium as the top colour of the boxes I used Model Master chrome, hoping it would contrast better.  Nothing doing.  You could see a difference, but it wasn't stark enough, so I broke out Vallejo's pre-mixed Game Color umber wash and went to work trying to yellow the duraluminium up more.  Much better.

EDIT:  And no, that rocker box piece isn't glued on yet, which is why it looks to be floating in the back.

More to follow.

Best,
Matthew

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:15:49 PM by Wodehouse »

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »
Nice work! I'll let you finish your engine first so I can copy your techniques for mine... ;)
BTW I recieved the resin bolts with nuts for my spark plugs last week, and they are... tiny! Will see what I can do with those. Thanks again for the idea :)

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »
Thanks Jeroen!

Here's the basic method for these very basic spark plugs.

1.  Cut several small lengths of midge tubing for the base.  I used the 0.5 mm marker on the RB Productions cutting template.  They won't turn out consistently the same even using that, or at least I can't get them to, so I cut about 2 to 3 times more than I need, then start to isolate the ones that are closest to each other in size and evenness (red circle in photo).  The plug base is very squat though, so I tend to pick the tiniest ones first.

2.  Place the midge lengths onto copper wiring (yellow circle in photo).  Make a little J-shaped bend at the bottom of the wiring so the tubing won't slide off it when you pick one up.  Try to make several more spark plugs than you need - again so you can pick and choose those that turn out best and most similar to each other when you end up picking them for the engine.  Drill holes in hex nuts if they aren't already pre-holed (red circle).  The smallest hexes on my Meng template are 1.3 mm.  Probably a tad smaller is better. 

3.  Load the hexes onto the copper wire (yellow circle), then cut the micro tubing (red circle) for the white tip of the plug.  Here I use the 1 mm setting on the RB template, but they always end up a bit larger, which is fine, because I can bury as much of this bit in the hex hole as I need to. 

4.  [Unpictured because undone as of yet].  Load microtubing on wire, then glue all three bits together along straightest section of wire possible, taking care to keep things aligned and not cock-eyed.  Airbrush brass when you airbrush the rest of the brass bits of the engine, then hand paint tips white.  The bit of wire coming out of the rear of the plugs can then be cut and used as a plug to push into pre-drilled holes in the cylinders when glued into place.

Engine itself is moving along slowly.  It's at the pre-weathered stages right now and I still have to paint the brass stuff and make the plug lead tubes and paint up the magnetos, etc.  Here are some photos of a dry fit, though the second one is subject to my camera's penchant for going yellow unexpectedly.  I only included it because it shows the rocker arms better than any of the other pics I took.