Author Topic: Odd thing: Voss Alb D.lll wheel covers  (Read 11345 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Odd thing: Voss Alb D.lll wheel covers
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
yes, and then there is this, covers look very dark:

and this... covers look "medium dark"

and this... covers look dark to me

not much to be learned from this...

spinner shows here...

Offline BLOWHARD

• Great War In The Air - Dave Douglass Gallery
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 07:01:28 AM »
Brez, notice the photo you posted shows the same scratch and lighter colored fabric flap on the wheel disc as one of the photos Bo posted.  I believe those are painted the same/taken of the same incarnation of the plane.  I guess the thing to think about is that the flap is either raw fabric, factory light blue or at the very least painted factory green-gray.  Whatever it is, the disc is painted in a color that photographs darker than either of those and shows plenty of contrast.  That's good to keep in mind.

Bo, exactly :D
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
Ok, so meanwhile, THIS is what Syd is talking about -- the light grey wheel cover depicted in 3C:

Somebody needs to ask Jim why he rendered it like this. I almost think it is a printing mistake...

(I will ask Jim and see what he says...)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:13:38 AM by Bo »

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
Not just the wheel covers but the "N" struts on the fuselage are definitely darker...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Thanks, Bo, Dave, Lance, Brez and anyone else responding to this.

Your points are well made and well taken. I agree that I need to discern  precisely (as may be possible) when in the history of this aircraft it is being shown in the respective photographs.

It was Dave's wonderful profile (and thanks for posting it again Dave) that got me considering this subject. I like the red.
When I saw Jim's profile's in Bronnenkant's book I also thought at first it was a printing error. But it appears twice; on p.92 when Voss was at J5, as you have shown, Bo, and prior to that on p.87  when Voss was at Jasta B. I feel sure that such an error, if it is one, would have been picked up at the proofing stage of publication. If someone who knows Jim can query him on this I would be appreciative.

And,  as pointed out that radiator header tank on the J5 version is  a little different than the usual. I'll have to dig up a clearer photo of such an arrangement. Looks like I might be in for some scratch building on the Eduard 1/48 kit I am currently doing.

Now you've got me started! I'm also frustrated that the available decals for this 'plane generally show the bow on the wreath as a very light blue, although on all the profiles and photos it appears darker than that (notwithstanding the vagaries of photos of the era). Also, decal designers don't show the port side and starboard  side bows as being slightly different, either (see Bronnenkant p90-91).

I do have the old Glencoe kit's Scalemaster decals which has the bow as darker blue, but the turtledeck heart is the same size as the fuselage heart when cleary it was larger and also had a wider white outline.

Don't get me going on Venetian red!

Cheers

Syd
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:04:33 AM by Syd Solo »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Jim & I are Facebook friends (more like acquaintances-- but we've corresponded on other albatros arcana in the past); I sent him an inquiry. I'll let you know what he says...

Offline Brez

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »

. Also, decal designers don't show the port side and starboard  side bows as being slightly different, either (see Bronnenkant p90-91).

Lifelike do Syd with different number of leaves on each side, but only in 1/48th I think.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LL48040

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Thanks, Brez! How did I miss that one? I'll get a set ASAP.

Cheers

Syd

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
Jim got back to me re the wheel covers -- not a definitive answer, but judge for yourself whether this seems like something deliberate -- I'll keep you posted:

Hi, Bo. That was from a couple years ago and I cannot remember if that was a slip-up with the wrong profile used or they wanted it that way. I'll ask Lance.

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Also make note of that sub-standard radiator header tank set-up

Dave
On that subject, I have been unable to find any photographs of that style of header tank on any other radiator, only the Voss D.III while it was at J5. Do you know of any other photos of this type of header tank arrangement?

I'm guessing it is substantially similar to the conventional header tank seen on the Teves and Braun radiator but with a rearward mounted curved tube instead of the front mounted, muzzle shaped air inlet "horn" (sorry, don't know what its proper name is).

Thanks for any advice or clarification you (or anyone else) can give on this.

CheerS

Syd

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
Have a look at T&B radiator installlation on Halb CL.II

Offline Brez

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 09:56:22 PM »

An earlier style T & B radiator header mounted on an Alb. DII.

Take a look at James Miller's excellent book on the DIII https://ospreypublishing.com/albatros-d-iii-35571

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »
Thanks Bo and Brez. That photo of the D.II radiator is sufficient for my purposes.
I do have the Jim Miller Osprey D.III book and it's a very illuminating read. However, I couldn't find a pic of that particular header tank. Now all my questions about Voss' D.III are answered.
Regarding the wheel cover colours, I have decided to go with the grey-green on both wheels and a black spinner. I'd still be interested in Jim's final answer to why he represented the wheels as grey on starboard side and grey-green on the port.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Brez

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 08:59:44 PM »
I have decided to go with the grey-green on both wheels and a black spinner.

Me too  :)

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:51 PM »
Brez,
Love your work! Is that the Roden 1/32?  I'm doing the Eduard 1/48.

If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be we'll satisfied. 😀

Cheers

Syd