Author Topic: Seeflugstation Borkum 1918  (Read 10087 times)

Offline malaula

Seeflugstation Borkum 1918
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:24:20 AM »
    HISTORY

In 1910 a seaplane shed had been installed on the south beach of Borkum,a german island situated in the wadden sea.Soon this shelter was washed away by the flood and a larger station was erected including 3 hangars ,workshops, several personnel barracks and 2 cranes for hoisting the aircraft into or out of the water onto a wooden and concrete platform.This station was sited at the ferry port,a few kilometers distant to Borkum city ,connected to it by railroad.
    In 2014 I spent a holiday on the island and was kindly allowed to have a look at the archives of the local museum and to take some pics .There's not much photographic footage available as private photography was strictly forbidden during the war,most of the pics have been published elsewhere before.If someone feels offended by me posting these here,feel free to contact me and I
'll eagerly delete them.

Aerial photo of Borkum seaplane station late in the war or post-war,indicated by the length of the mole to the right.Reflections on the water show the cranes and their different size.The harbour and railroad tracks to the left.

Earlier photo showing the pile driver still at work on the mole and some planes,possibly HB W12's and/ or W19's

A shot taken from the small crane,showing hangar 1 and 2 as well as the first state of the wooden platform which was enlarged soon. Close examination shows the cranes hook attached to the FF33 in the foreground ,as well as windows and the gun-stand of hangar 2,this picture proved essential in providing me with proportions of windows and vertical measures of the hangars.Taken from WS-Datafile.

HB W 12  2118 in front of the personnel barracks.In the foreground lies wreckage of HB W 19 2211 ,this is the only picture I know of a W19 (or better said of her remains)at Borkum.Taken fromWS Datafile HB W12.

Original plan-view

View of the site today,taken from aboard the ferry.The only remains of the former station are the buildings in the background with the tower on the roof and possibly part of the dock in the foreground.What back in 1918 was the mole to the right of the platform has now become solid ground.

THE DIORAMA
I'm not going to do the whole Seeflugstation ,but a section including the platform,the cranes,barrack and part of hangar 1 and 2 and of course the sea  and some boats. Featured aircraft will be Hansa Brandenburg W 12,W 29,W 19(if I finish the scratchbuild),Friedrichshafen FF49c,(FF 33 may be),Rumpler 6B1 and Albatros W4,and as a visitor from Norderney Gotha WD7.

A mock-up made from cardboard and foamboard to get the dimensions right.
The buildings will be done using plastic sheet,the  platform foamboard and wood,the water will be rendered by acryl on foamboard.
The large crane is made of strip styrene,the smaller crane remains a bit of a mistery with no clear shots of it available I'm gonna use artistic licence for that one...
I 'll post WIP shots now and then,fellow members input welcome!

Cheers
Matz

Online RAGIII

Re: Seeflugstation Borkum 1918
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:16 AM »
Outstanding research and development! I am looking forward to seeing the progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:34:40 AM »
Outstanding Matz, very ambitious but seems you have things under control and a great start with the kits.  Looking forward to future posts.

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:04:38 AM »
Nice pics and some good information too. This should be an outstanding diorama when done!

Ian

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:42 AM »
Excellent research, Matz - as every time with your projects! I'm looking forward to the next update!

Jörg

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:05 AM »
I agree with the others, Matz!  As always, your research is very comprehensive and with your amazing diorama skills, you will bring those old photos to life.  I look forward to following along.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:21:12 AM »
Wow super cool!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 05:17:28 AM »
That's very impressive Matz; I'm doing a slightly enhanced base for my W.12 for the Diorama Group Build presently which is dwarfed by this project. I'll be following this with keen interest, great Post!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:25:20 AM »
You have made an excellent start to your diorama Matz, I will be following along closely.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Edo

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
Wow Matz! That's gonna be huge!
Can't wait to see what you'll come out with!
Ciao edo

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »
Hey, Matze!
Great idea for the Dio, I love it.
Will watch this thread with interest.
I will spend my holiday there in summer, again.
bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 04:08:57 AM »
That will be huge when it is finished! I would not have the space to store/display it!! But it will be a superb piece of your craftsmanship and I would really like to see the real thing. Sadly your photos will have to do.

Stephen.

Offline malaula

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 09:06:22 PM »
Hi Guys...I must admit it's been a long time since the last post on this topic. Had a hard time with this built and in real life,but I finally made it to Euro Model Expo this year.Didn't have the opportunity to take pictures,but I have revived my photobucket account and will post more of the build as soon as possible.I promise.
Here two pics from another forum as a little teaser,enjoy!

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 10:44:11 PM »
WOW!!! :o  That is something else!  I'd love to see that in person, a true labor of love.

WD

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 11:31:51 PM »
Matz, my dear friend, excellent to have you back in the forum!
It was about time that your great Borkum-dio was shown to everyone. I am already looking forward to more pictures, also of the development of this masterpiece.

Cheers
Jörg